Sign in with
Your question

Sabertooth X58 Northbridge Fan Mod

Last response: in Motherboards
December 27, 2010 6:53:51 AM

For those of you who don't like their X58 running at 80-90c. I just took a northbridge fan/shroud off of a first generation BFG 680i SLI board. The shroud has 2 "claws" that hold the fan shroud in place, and the fan pops into the shroud. With the design of the heatsink on the Sabertooth X58, the 680i chipset fan hangs perfectly and quite securely on the heatsink without any tape/ties/clamps/glue. (glue would probably melt on this heatsink at full load so don't try it.) As long as you don't tip your pc completely upside down, this fan will stay in place. And if you do need to take your pc somewhere, just remove it, the 3pin NB fan connector is right next to the heatsink, Not sure why Asus didnt just put one on in the first place. I have seen a temp drop of about 10-15c at full load, so if you have an old 680i board laying around, take the fan off it and hang it on the Sabertooth. Trying the fans airflow in both directions to see if i get any better temps in one or the other.
December 27, 2010 2:46:47 PM

Would you be able to take a picture. I'm going to have to hunt down an old 680i. My northbridge is usually at about 70C and I would love to get it cooler. This would be a good stop-gap measure till I can find a waterblock for my sabertooth.
December 27, 2010 7:45:46 PM

Sure, will do.
Related resources
September 21, 2011 8:15:00 AM

dryernoke said:
http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/8375/1227101548.jpg, sorry i didnt clean the fan off before putting it on the sabertooth, not too dirty for 3 years of constant spinning lol

Any ideas how to take of the NB heatsink on sabertooth x58? I hear that simply replacing the TIM gives a good drop in temp. temps
September 22, 2011 3:33:03 AM

gleembru said:
Any ideas how to take of the NB heatsink on sabertooth x58? I hear that simply replacing the TIM gives a good drop in temp. temps

I wouldn't worry about it, X58s always run hot, really doesn't matter what board it is. But I guess if you really wanted to, it has to be like all other northbridge heatsinks, pop the two tabs on the back of the board, should come right off. In all honesty, I would say piss on it, No reports of damaged chipsets due to heat on the Sabertooth X58. Hope this helps, if you do end up going through with it, post back here and let me know of any results! Good luck!
October 8, 2011 7:41:03 AM

If you are looking for special fans try googling "The Fan Van".
!