AMD to skip 32nm moving straight to 28nm

Status
Not open for further replies.

metallifux

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
Just had a good read through the AMD forums and found a new rumour that AMD is moving straight to 28nm as they were having trouble with 32nm...

Bulldozer

"Zambezi " (28nm, 8-core)

4 AMD Bulldozer modules

Support new ISA: XOP, FMA4, SSSE3, SSE4.1, AVX, AES, CLMUL

Support fusion of CMP and JMP instructions

Advanced Quad-Channel Memory Sub-System

Higher memory level parallelism

Hyper Transport 3.1

AM3r2

10-100 watts

Tentative release date late Q4 2010 to Q1/Q2 2011

"Interlagos" (28nm, 16-core)

8 AMD Bulldozer modules (two dies as MCM)

HyperTransport 3.1

Quad Channel DDR3

Socket G34

kg4icg

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
Don't hold your breathe, they haven't even tackled a tri channel memory configuration. They are still stuck on dual channel with ddr3. What makes you think they are going to leap frog Intel?

They haven't done Tri channel because there is not enough benefit from tri channel at this juncture. Its not a result of technical difficulties.

That said, 28nm is a half node. So its extremely unlikely that they would do this for a cpu. I think somebody confused an ATI half node 28nm story with an AMD cpu story. The next ITRS defined node is 22nm.

If it was true, it would be an absolutely stunning development.

Yeah the quad channel memory has been a rumor for over a year.

I don't think AMD had trouble with 32nm, they just skipped it for obvious reasons, to catch up. They really mastered 45nm to a level Intel could not, this shows in the 6 core cpu's running 125w. Even at 32nm Intels quads are 130w.

They are NOT skipping 32nm. Some rumor on a forum is not evidence.

loneninja

Distinguished

Maybe it's the fact the 12 core Opterons have quad channel DDR3 memory.

metallifux

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010

who knows? We will just have to wait for 2 months to find out what AM3+ holds in-store. While i would like to see them push for 28nm i think it is highly unlikely, i think tri or even quad channel ram is highly likely, otherwise they would just stick with AM3.

28nm is a half node. The likelyhood of AMD or intel using a half node for a cpu is extremely remote. Its not out of the question, but remote. And when some "forum" post is your source, I think we can safely dismiss it until something better comes along.

metallifux

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010

It was posted by one of the credible regulars on the official AMD forum so i think it is slightly more reliable than just "some forum".

someguy7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007

Sorry but nobody and nothing from "the official AMD forum" that I'm pretty sure you are referring to AMDzone is reliable at all. No regular from there is credible.

ares1214

Splendid
if this is true, this will be VERY interesting. the whole reason i am, and a lot of people are, voting for amd to catch up, is either customer loyalty (aka fanboism) or that they want to force all prices down due to competition (theres me). By the sounds of this thing, if intel doesnt release something soon, the bulldozer will eat the 980x for breakfast (speculation at the specs). But then, amd will likely be selling this thing for $1500!!! im sure intel will catch up, then it will be a super high class competition, that will likely leave us mere mortals who cant afford a $1500 cpu in the dust. if amd was smart, which i doubt they will do this, they will sell it for maybe $500, or whatever keeps them in the green. if it beats the 980x, you just screwed it over, now NOBODY would buy it, and u shut intel out of that part of the market. so this could be very interesting if only some of this is true. and quad channel memory doesnt seem like too much of a stretch, they have been operated with 4 memory slots for years, now they just have to mash em together :lol: but maybe intel will go to hexa channel when amd goes to quad channel?

metallifux

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
If AMD do announce AM3+ socket for bulldozer at this conference would they release it before the actual processor release given that it will likely be compatible with current Phenom II CPU's or will we have to wait till next year? As i would like to build a new machine now just wanna have the most future-proof motherboard.

I found this on the "discussion" page of wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_future_AMD_microprocessors
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:List_of_future_AMD_microprocessors
I don't see any sources for what I have bolded. Nor can I find any evidence to support it. I have also never heard of it myself:
What I have put in italics is supposition only. I mean to the point where it should not be included in the article:
"Zambezi" (32nm, 8-core)
4 AMD Bulldozer modules
Support new ISA: XOP, FMA4, SSSE3, SSE4.1, AVX, AES, CLMUL
Support fusion of CMP and JMP instructions
Advanced Quad-Channel Memory Sub-System
Higher memory level parallelism

DDR5 <-- Actually, I just removed this because DDR4 is still in development and was announced as such in 2008.
AM3r2
10-100 watts[2][3]
Tentative release date late Q4 2010 to Q1/Q2 2011

iqvl

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Yeah the quad channel memory has been a rumor for over a year.

I don't think AMD had trouble with 32nm, they just skipped it for obvious reasons, to catch up. They really mastered 45nm to a level Intel could not, this shows in the 6 core cpu's running 125w. Even at 32nm Intels quads are 130w.
Why would Intel need a hex with 45nm architecture while even their 45nm quad at much lower frequency performs better than 45nm AMD hex on average?
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/146?vs=47

In addition, don't forget that 980x was released before 1090T.

This is obviously a thread created by an AMD fanboy and should stay in AMD section instead.

metallifux

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010

quite the contrary actually, my intel system is way better than my AMD...

Status
Not open for further replies.