Sign in with
Your question
Solved

SSD Bench marking sftwr, Real World Results?

Last response: in Storage
May 23, 2012 11:04:21 AM

All,

I bought a re-branded 120 gig sata 3 microcenter SSD after having problems with OCZ and crucial SSD,s. Seems to be working better than expected.

I have used both AS SSD benchmark and this Altto Benchmark. I read that the AS SSD and SF controllers don't get along because of compressed data? So I should use Altto.

AS SSD gave me a read speed of 215 MB and 109 MB write. While specs for the Microcenter SSD is 550/525. Altto surpasses those specs by a few MB's 565 Read and 540 Write. While that makes me feel good knowing it is as fast as they say, which benchmarking software gives me real world results?

Or does it just depend on controller and software used to benchmark?

Best solution

a c 523 G Storage
May 23, 2012 3:09:14 PM

Neither software gives you real world results.

ATTO uses highly compressible data to test Read/Write speeds.
Think of ATTO as "best-case" scenario.
An example of highly compressible data that I can think of is a Microsoft Word document.
Nobody works with only notes and memos. :) 

AS-SSD uses highly incompressible data to test Read/Write speeds.
Think of AS-SSD as "worst-case" scenario.
An example of an incompressible file is a .wav music file or a .mpeg video file.
Unless you're a music producer or video producer, nobody works with only those types of files. :) 

Real world data usage is in between the two.
a c 523 G Storage
May 23, 2012 3:33:22 PM

FYI, there's a new SSD benchmark program being developed at Xtreme Systems forum. The software is called Anvil's Storage Utilities and it has a real world benchmark setting where the test data is 46% compressed (ATTO is 0% and AS-SSD is 100%).

Here's a link to the software: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?2736...
m
l
Related resources
May 23, 2012 3:59:02 PM

Best answer selected by mandude.
m
l
a c 283 G Storage
May 23, 2012 5:29:44 PM

Dereck47 - Thanks for the link

Xtremesystems is one of 80 review sites I check almost daily for hardware reviews. I knew they were using the new benchmark in their ssd reviews but didn't realise it was available for download. Can't wait to try it.
m
l
a c 523 G Storage
May 23, 2012 5:51:00 PM

No problem. Hopefully the software is accurate and it will be accepted by SSD manufacturers and SSD review sites and replace ATTO, AS-SSD, CrystalDiskMark, and HDTune.
m
l
a c 523 G Storage
May 23, 2012 8:09:34 PM

Yes, you will get better benchmark scores with the Vertex 4, but no, I wouldn't necessarily take it back.

How does it "feel" to you? When you open and run programs is it snappy and responsive?

If so, just use it and enjoy. :) 
m
l
May 23, 2012 8:12:26 PM

I feel like it's pretty snappy. It took 2 mins and 48 seconds to install photoshop 32/64 bit and it opens photoshop with all my plugins and actions and other settings in 4 seconds.

I just built this rig and it has to last me a while you know? So naturally I want the best.
m
l
a c 523 G Storage
May 23, 2012 8:15:50 PM

The Vertex 4 is the better drive but you probably won't notice any real world difference between the 2 drives unless you're copying and moving large amounts of incompressible files.
m
l
May 23, 2012 8:22:35 PM

Cool man! Thx for your knowledge and time!
m
l
a c 523 G Storage
May 23, 2012 8:23:38 PM

No problem!
m
l
!