Power requirements of an AMD quad core and Radeon 5670 1 GB GPU.

Sikboy

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010
Hi everybody,

I have a desktop pc, comprising of a 2 athlon quad core 630, each processor running at 2.6 ghz per processor, N68C-S motherboard, 2 GB of Kingston ram, 250 GB hard drive, 1 DVD drive and a 450 watt power supply.

I wish to upgrade my graphics card to a Radeon 5670 1 GB, i choose this card, because from what i have seen, it does not require a huge amount of power.

I was just wondering if this card will be fine with my PSU? If not what card would you all recommend?

Sikboy

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010

Thanks for the quick reply.

Thats why i chose it, but because im a novice i was just making sure.

;)

Sikboy

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010
I also have a 5 year old gaming PC that the OS went tits up on with a Antec 480 w 30 amp PSU, i suppose i could transfer that if need be.

From what i have researched the quad core uses around 170 w and the card about the same, but i see the point that rolli59 made about the PSU reliability.

Sikboy

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010

Definitely, cant go wrong with them.

4745454b

Titan
No, you missed it. I said all three companies (Antec, SilverStone, ThermalTake) used to make less then good PSUs. All are making better PSUs now. How long they continue to make nothing but good PSUs remains to be seen.

4745454b

Titan
jonnyguru currently has a Silverstone and ThermalTake unit up for review on their site right now. The Silverstone is the Strider + 750W, while the TT is the Toughpower XT 775. Both were rated 9, so I'd argue neither tops the other. At least for some of their lines. Nvidia still makes good products, they are just pricey. You seem to be someone who just wants to argue. I never said they make "great PSUs", you said that. I've said good, I've said better, didn't say great.

Dude, the Nvidia product's right now are an Epic fail, with the exception the GTS 250.

Thank God we got you on the forum now, every other thread you enlighten long time forum members and show them the error of their ways.