How to fix corrupted external hard drive

Tags:
  • Configuration
  • Western Digital
  • External Hard Drive
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
December 30, 2012 9:18:36 PM

I changed my computer for a newer one and the first time I connected my WD external hard drive I got the message 'structure corrupted and unreadable. Can I fix it or get the files off it?

More about : fix corrupted external hard drive

December 30, 2012 9:25:59 PM

Windows is & has always been very poor at dealing with any disk errors, best use Acronis or Paragon hard drive tools or if really bad there are many recovery tools out there, though rarely cheap.

I`ve also used a Linux Ubuntu boot CD to read troublesome drives, that's free & supports many more disk formats than windows, it can be used without any install.
m
l
December 30, 2012 9:31:31 PM

Download Ubuntu 10.10 or earlier as they seem to have removed auto-mounting from later variants.
m
l
Related resources
January 9, 2013 4:53:54 AM

1. If the problem is not so serious, you could launch Error-checking tool like this:
Randomly right click a partition of this corrupted drive in “My Computer” to select “Properties”=> Open “Tools” tab and hit “Check Now”.
2. Format it to take a chance. Sometimes, the format can resolve your problem.
3. If it is really serious, you should ask an expert for help or just buy a new one.
m
l
January 10, 2013 8:05:25 PM

shouldershally said:
1. If the problem is not so serious, you could launch Error-checking tool like this:
Randomly right click a partition of this corrupted drive in “My Computer” to select “Properties”=> Open “Tools” tab and hit “Check Now”.
2. Format it to take a chance. Sometimes, the format can resolve your problem.
3. If it is really serious, you should ask an expert for help or just buy a new one.

1. He has the error ''structure corrupted and unreadable' meaning he cant mount the drive, let alone see folders.
2. Perhaps he want to keep his data?
m
l
!