Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Increasing voltage? Why ? what does it do ?

Last response: in Motherboards
December 27, 2010 12:44:23 PM

url=http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1532226][/url]

Why did someone reccomend I increase my voltage ?

More about : increasing voltage

a b V Motherboard
December 27, 2010 1:26:09 PM

With the plethra of specific information your post provided, I see advancing the frontiers of human understaning is not an integeral part of this discussion. To answer your question. An increase will probably loosen up your arms.

December 27, 2010 1:29:41 PM

lol.....

I listed my system above in the link. Someone said my memory and clock was slow... and I should boost my voltage and try again.

I just want to know what voltage does? What effect would it have ?

Related resources

Best solution

a c 156 V Motherboard
December 27, 2010 3:00:57 PM

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
I'm sorry. I couldn't help it.

Hey, everybody. Look at the link. Mfusik has an E8500 running at 2 GHz (333 MHz X 6).

Mfusik, you have something called SpeedStep enabled in the BIOS. That is the default condition. SS reduces CPU speed when it is under light loads. It will automatically jump to full speed when the CPU workload increases enough.

Most of us use a program called Prime95 to load the CPU cores to 100% of capacity. Do that. Then you will see your CPU speed jump to what you thought you were buying.

You do not need to touch anything.

Later when you get more comfortable with your system and learn a little more, you may want to try your hand at overclocking.
Our generic Core2 link:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/259899-11-core-over...

That's when you may need to increase voltage. You will learn how and why there.
December 27, 2010 9:52:02 PM

Quote:
are you overclocking.?

I plan to do this... yes. Currently stock.. about to start tweaking for some performance gains
December 27, 2010 9:52:55 PM

Best answer selected by Mfusick.
December 27, 2010 9:53:55 PM

jsc said:
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
I'm sorry. I couldn't help it.

Hey, everybody. Look at the link. Mfusik has an E8500 running at 2 GHz (333 MHz X 6).

Mfusik, you have something called SpeedStep enabled in the BIOS. That is the default condition. SS reduces CPU speed when it is under light loads. It will automatically jump to full speed when the CPU workload increases enough.

Most of us use a program called Prime95 to load the CPU cores to 100% of capacity. Do that. Then you will see your CPU speed jump to what you thought you were buying.

You do not need to touch anything.

Later when you get more comfortable with your system and learn a little more, you may want to try your hand at overclocking.
Our generic Core2 link:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/259899-11-core-over...

That's when you may need to increase voltage. You will learn how and why there.

wow thanks for a great post.

This is what I needed to know.

Where can I get program prime95? Is that better than disable speedstep in the bios?
a c 156 V Motherboard
December 27, 2010 11:41:40 PM

Internet, free download.

When I start overclocking, I disable SpeedStep. Then after I have developed stable settings, I enable it and retest for stability.
December 28, 2010 10:20:39 AM

the point of disable is to make sure your clock speed is running at top speed?

ANd the point of enable is to save energy when it's not needed?
!