Closed

Dell laptop battery can hold charge, but not supply it

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
September 17, 2004 10:02:24 PM

I have a Dell Latitude CP laptop, PII 233, with docking station. For
the last few months, the computer is able to work only when it has AC
power supply connected. The battery LED indicates it is fully
charged, but if the AC is removed the computer won't boot.

I would think that if the battery wasn't connected to its power lines,
it would eventually lose it charge, but it has been fully charged
this entire time.

Can anyone tell me why the battery seems to be able to charge itself,
but not supply power to the computer? Any fixes?

thanks
Mark
Toronto
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 17, 2004 11:11:43 PM

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 18, 2004 2:40:58 AM

cstage wrote:
> I have a Dell Latitude CP laptop, PII 233, with docking station. For
> the last few months, the computer is able to work only when it has AC
> power supply connected. The battery LED indicates it is fully
> charged, but if the AC is removed the computer won't boot.
>
> I would think that if the battery wasn't connected to its power lines,
> it would eventually lose it charge, but it has been fully charged
> this entire time.
>
> Can anyone tell me why the battery seems to be able to charge itself,
> but not supply power to the computer? Any fixes?
>
> thanks
> Mark
> Toronto

As the battery ages, the charge capacity declines, appearing finally at
fully charge with a capacity too low to supply power. There is no fix
except for a new battery. You should remove a dead battery unless you
need it to couterweight the screen.

September 18, 2004 10:47:00 AM

cstage wrote:
> I have a Dell Latitude CP laptop, PII 233, with docking station. For
> the last few months, the computer is able to work only when it has AC
> power supply connected. The battery LED indicates it is fully
> charged, but if the AC is removed the computer won't boot.
>
> I would think that if the battery wasn't connected to its power lines,
> it would eventually lose it charge, but it has been fully charged
> this entire time.
>
> Can anyone tell me why the battery seems to be able to charge itself,
> but not supply power to the computer? Any fixes?
>
> thanks
> Mark
> Toronto

The lights on the battery show what the battery gauge chip tells them.
If the chip is (too far) out of sync with the battery charge level, the
system won't run.
Sometimes there's a calibration routine that can fix that.

You don't say what battery technology you have. Lithium Ion Batteries
typically fail with high internal resistance. The charge is in there,
you just can't get it out at a voltage that will run the computer.

The battery lights will show there's full charge...and there is...but
when you turn on the computer the internal resistance causes a voltage
drop that the laptop interprets as a dead battery and shuts down.

mike

--
Return address is VALID.
Compaq Aero floppy,ram,battery.

Quote:

I have a Dell Latitude CP laptop, PII 233, with docking station. For
the last few months, the computer is able to work only when it has AC
power supply connected. The battery LED indicates it is fully
charged, but if the AC is removed the computer won't boot.

I would think that if the battery wasn't connected to its power lines,
it would eventually lose it charge, but it has been fully charged
this entire time.

Can anyone tell me why the battery seems to be able to charge itself,
but not supply power to the computer? Any fixes?

thanks
Mark
Toronto

I have the same problem, but my battery is new. It is a Dell Inspiron E1505 with a new McVolt high capacity battery. Any clues what has gone wrong?
July 22, 2010 1:30:35 AM

I just have the same problem with my Dell Inspron 6400.Dell told me, that I should buy a new battery. But the battery works normal with sufficient working time and I fear a new battery would not solve the problem?
You can directly contact with an any service care center of Dell nearest to your area. Or you may contact to the dealer from where you have bought this laptop.
December 11, 2010 5:06:06 AM

I ever had a similar problem with my Dell Inspiron 1545,It could be a problem in the software that reads the charging, if you unplug the power supply will it run? and down in your task bar there should be a percentage number of power left in the battery when the power supply is unplugged. ed
a b D Laptop
December 12, 2010 12:36:05 AM

This topic has been closed by Buwish
!