Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Connect 20 machine to a 2003 windws server

Last response: in Networking
Share
February 13, 2010 11:19:33 PM

Through an Ethernet network. All you need is Cat 5e or Cat 6 wiring, an optional patch panel and a 24 port switch. I presume that all PCs will be in the same Active Directory domain and that the server will be a DHCP server (it's nicer than having to configure all PCs). The rest is up to you, but that's pretty basic stuff.
February 14, 2010 6:25:15 PM

GhislainG said:
Through an Ethernet network. All you need is Cat 5e or Cat 6 wiring, an optional patch panel and a 24 port switch. I presume that all PCs will be in the same Active Directory domain and that the server will be a DHCP server (it's nicer than having to configure all PCs). The rest is up to you, but that's pretty basic stuff.



Hi

how will the users save their work?
will the machine pick up the server 2003 straight away

Please help
Related resources
February 14, 2010 8:37:57 PM

If you have a server, I would presume that you'll provide your users with appropriate access to shares on that server. I also presume that you'll backup the server on a daily basis.

You haven't answered some very basic questions. Will you use AD? Will PCs be on a domain and users required to login as domain users? If so, then just create shares and let them know where they could save their work. You could even map drives at login time by setting up login scripts (I usually do that only for personal storage) and teach them how to use UNC paths for shared storage. That's also how I have my home network setup and it works fine.
February 15, 2010 7:36:58 PM

GhislainG said:
If you have a server, I would presume that you'll provide your users with appropriate access to shares on that server. I also presume that you'll backup the server on a daily basis.

You haven't answered some very basic questions. Will you use AD? Will PCs be on a domain and users required to login as domain users? If so, then just create shares and let them know where they could save their work. You could even map drives at login time by setting up login scripts (I usually do that only for personal storage) and teach them how to use UNC paths for shared storage. That's also how I have my home network setup and it works fine.


Thank YOU for HELPING ME
It is for my project at Univesity , How would you work this OUT
Here is the senario

Question 1
got 20 machine running XP and will be connected to a server 2003
all the work will NOT be saved on the server or the client but on a memory stick, THE SERVER WILL ONLY BE USED TO USE THE INTERNET

Question 2
will the server pick up the client straight away? or will i have to configure it?

Question 3
What is a domain?

I Hope you can reply to these question or my 2 years will be awaste of time
February 15, 2010 8:57:14 PM

Question 1
This doesn't make much sense other than as an academic question. I would venture to say that the server will act as a router to the Internet, i.e., one NIC connected to the network and another NIC connected to whatever device (usually a modem) is available to connect to the Internet.

Question 2
The clients should be configured to use DHCP (though you could also visit all clients if you prefer and use static IP addresses, define the default gateway, etc.).

You setup a DHCP service on the server and configure the scope properly. At a minimum, you will provide the following info:
- Address Pool (range of local IP addresses that can be assigned to clients)
- Scope Options
- Router (the server itself)
- DNS Server (in this case it probably would be the ISP's DNS or any DNS that you prefer)

Question 3
Do some reading on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_Directory

Actually you can also read info on DHCP, etc.
February 16, 2010 8:41:59 AM

Thank YOU FOR HELPING ME OUT

WILL this work

the router/modem, the server and all the PC will connect to a switch?

February 16, 2010 10:42:07 AM

If the server should behave as a gateway, the router/modem should be connected to one of the Ethernet ports. Another Ethernet port on the server and all PCs should be connected to the switch. If the router, all PCs and the server were connected to the switch, then PCs could access the Internet directly and they wouldn't be required to go through the server.
February 16, 2010 8:32:20 PM

GhislainG said:
If the server should behave as a gateway, the router/modem should be connected to one of the Ethernet ports. Another Ethernet port on the server and all PCs should be connected to the switch. If the router, all PCs and the server were connected to the switch, then PCs could access the Internet directly and they wouldn't be required to go through the server.


Thank you

how many pc can be USED by 1 DOMAIN in windows 2003 server?
i read it was 10 machines to 1 domain is this True?

SHOULD I USE DHCP/STATIC IP ADDRESSING OR AUTOMATIC IP ADDRESSING

if i were to created a network with 300 users should i use a workgroup or a domain?

February 16, 2010 9:08:35 PM

mbismillah said:
Thank you

how many pc can be USED by 1 DOMAIN in windows 2003 server?
i read it was 10 machines to 1 domain is this True?

SHOULD I USE DHCP/STATIC IP ADDRESSING OR AUTOMATIC IP ADDRESSING

if i were to created a network with 300 users should i use a workgroup or a domain?
A domain can contain thousands of PCs.

DHCP is dynamic.

Using a workgroup when you can use AD doesn't make sense, particularly for a network with 300 users. I only have a few users at home and I use a domain.
February 17, 2010 12:07:42 PM

GhislainG said:
A domain can contain thousands of PCs.

DHCP is dynamic.

Using a workgroup when you can use AD doesn't make sense, particularly for a network with 300 users. I only have a few users at home and I use a domain.


Hi

how would i seprate the staff and students from each other in the ATCIVE E
DIRECTORY?

THE SERVer would be my domain and also the DNS

WOULD YOU USE DHCP IN THIS PROJECT AND WHY?
February 17, 2010 1:31:35 PM

Make the staff members of a group and students members of a different group. Then you decide what rights each group has. By default, the Everyone group has access to all shares.

Since you have a single server, then it has to be a DNS server in order to also be an Active Directory server.

You normally use DHCP simply because, by default, all PCs are configured to automatically receive an IP address. The same with servers, but you obviously need to change that to a staic IP address. Using DHCP means that PCs only have to join the domain (a task performed by a domain administrator), but you don't have to document and assign an IP address to each PC.
February 17, 2010 2:31:54 PM

GhislainG said:
Make the staff members of a group and students members of a different group. Then you decide what rights each group has. By default, the Everyone group has access to all shares.

Since you have a single server, then it has to be a DNS server in order to also be an Active Directory server.

You normally use DHCP simply because, by default, all PCs are configured to automatically receive an IP address. The same with servers, but you obviously need to change that to a staic IP address. Using DHCP means that PCs only have to join the domain (a task performed by a domain administrator), but you don't have to document and assign an IP address to each PC.


ThanK you YOU ARE HELPING ME LOT


WOULD MY 2003 SERVER PICK UP MY XP MACHINE OR WOULD I HAVE TO CONFIGURE IT
February 17, 2010 2:38:43 PM

If you use XP PCs, you obviously have to configure them (unless they boot from the network, but that's another topic). As I wrote before, PCs have to join the domain (an administrator's task); otherwise they can't logon to that domain. All PCs should be members of the Domain Computers group.
February 17, 2010 7:47:32 PM

GhislainG said:
If you use XP PCs, you obviously have to configure them (unless they boot from the network, but that's another topic). As I wrote before, PCs have to join the domain (an administrator's task); otherwise they can't logon to that domain. All PCs should be members of the Domain Computers group.


what version of XP and SEVER 2003 do i need to use for them to give me little trouble
February 17, 2010 8:45:37 PM

XP Professional is required. All versions of Server 2003 will work (Standard, Enterprise, etc.)
February 18, 2010 7:28:33 AM

GhislainG said:
XP Professional is required. All versions of Server 2003 will work (Standard, Enterprise, etc.)



Hi

Thank YOU

as you said before that if i would need to connec to the internet i would need to put 2 NIC IN the SERVER(1 connecting to the Router/Modem and 1 connecting to the switch)
How would i connect to the Internet using ONLY 1 NIC?
February 18, 2010 11:14:26 AM

If you only had one NIC, the modem/router would be connected to a switch. Then the server and all PCs would also be connected tothat switch. In other words, the server wouldn't be a router.
February 19, 2010 11:42:28 AM

GhislainG said:
If you only had one NIC, the modem/router would be connected to a switch. Then the server and all PCs would also be connected tothat switch. In other words, the server wouldn't be a router.



where would i go in wondows 2003 server so that other computers would able to manage the INTERNET
February 19, 2010 1:04:14 PM

What do you mean? No computer manages the Internet.
Anonymous
February 19, 2010 1:17:10 PM

Why do you keep helping the OP with his homework? Let him do some research!
February 19, 2010 1:51:42 PM

GhislainG said:
What do you mean? No computer manages the Internet.


the seting of the INTERNET
February 19, 2010 2:04:25 PM

Explain what you mean. If the server will act as a router (you wrote "THE SERVER WILL ONLY BE USED TO USE THE INTERNET" - that can mean anything), then all PCs will access the Internet through the server. You may also have meant that only the server will access the Internet.
February 19, 2010 7:00:11 PM

GhislainG said:
Explain what you mean. If the server will act as a router (you wrote "THE SERVER WILL ONLY BE USED TO USE THE INTERNET" - that can mean anything), then all PCs will access the Internet through the server. You may also have meant that only the server will access the Internet.



I mean that all the PCs Will access the Internet through the SERVER.

How can this be achived?

Thank YOU
February 19, 2010 7:31:12 PM

Your server has 2 NICs. One connected to the Internet modem or router and another one connected to a LAN switch. All PCs will also be connected to the LAN switch. Since you have a server, it also acts as a router if it has more than one NIC. As long as your DNS has a forwarder to an Internet DNS, it will know that the PC is trying to access a non-local IP address and it will route traffic accordingly. In other words, the server will behave just like an Internet router that you may have at home.
February 22, 2010 9:24:34 AM

GhislainG said:
Your server has 2 NICs. One connected to the Internet modem or router and another one connected to a LAN switch. All PCs will also be connected to the LAN switch. Since you have a server, it also acts as a router if it has more than one NIC. As long as your DNS has a forwarder to an Internet DNS, it will know that the PC is trying to access a non-local IP address and it will route traffic accordingly. In other words, the server will behave just like an Internet router that you may have at home.


will thIS be hard to SET UP?

CAN I FIND A STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTION ON HOW TO SET THIS INTERNET CONNECTION WITH 2 NIC IN A SERVER
February 22, 2010 11:33:48 AM

That's so basic that instructions are not required. Once NIC is assigned an IP address (static or dynamic) for the Internet connection. The other one is assigned a static IP address for the LAN. Don't you have a router? If so, it's very similar. Don't you have a lab at university where you could test it?
February 22, 2010 9:42:14 PM

GhislainG said:
That's so basic that instructions are not required. Once NIC is assigned an IP address (static or dynamic) for the Internet connection. The other one is assigned a static IP address for the LAN. Don't you have a router? If so, it's very similar. Don't you have a lab at university where you could test it?




Thank YOU

Can i use a DHCP FOR BOTH OF THEM?
February 22, 2010 11:00:46 PM

You definitely can't use DHCP for the LAN NIC; the DNS requires a static IP address. In an office environment, the Internet IP address usually is static as well. DHCP usually is used for PCs only.
February 25, 2010 2:04:01 PM

GhislainG said:
You definitely can't use DHCP for the LAN NIC; the DNS requires a static IP address. In an office environment, the Internet IP address usually is static as well. DHCP usually is used for PCs only.


Hi

please help me on what
tools should i use to connect to the internet . I have read that ICS in wondows 2003 server will not work with DHCP AND DNS

PLEASE ADVICE ME , I WILL BE STARTING THIS PROJECT NEXT WEEK
February 26, 2010 11:12:50 AM

You don't need any tools. You simply use the server as a gateway.
February 26, 2010 12:39:14 PM

Quote:
Why do you keep helping the OP with his homework? Let him do some research!

no kidding - "please do my homework for me". Did you read the textbook? Sheesh.
February 26, 2010 1:48:11 PM

gtvr said:
no kidding - "please do my homework for me". Did you read the textbook? Sheesh.



COME ON DON'T GIVE ME A HARD TIME

WHY DON'T YOU HELP ME
February 26, 2010 2:21:35 PM

gtvr isn't wrong. You're trying to make something very simple into a complex exercise.

FYI, using all caps is rude.
February 26, 2010 4:17:23 PM

"I Hope you can reply to these question or my 2 years will be awaste of time "

2 years and you don't know what a domain is, but you want someone to tell you? C'mon, use google to start with, then ask something specific.

Not that hard: http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=what+is+a+windows+domain
Anonymous
February 26, 2010 7:44:37 PM

Enough!
!