Sign in with
Your question

Will HDMI to DVI work with a 120hz monitor?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 24, 2010 9:34:59 PM

Hello there, I recently purchased a laptop that has VGA and HDMI output. For FPS gaming I use the Viewsonic VX2265vm 120hz 22" Monitor that only has a DVI-D out (with a special DVI cable that came with the monitor). My laptop doesn't have a DVI port, can I buy a HDMI to DVI-D converter and still get 120hz refresh? I was looking at something like this:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Cables-Unlimited-HDMI-Male-To...

I'm just worried that I won't get the 120hz refresh using a converter. I play Quake Live and the difference between 60hz and 120hz is pretty huge.

Thanks!
March 24, 2010 10:09:54 PM

It should - the two are essentially the same except there will be no audio from the monitor. DVI doesnt carry audio. And the reason I say "should" is you just never really know about every connector on this planet conforming to standards.

but for $15 I would go get one and give it a shot.

Post your results
m
l
a b C Monitor
March 25, 2010 1:11:59 AM

It will work...
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
April 9, 2010 7:35:49 PM

I'm not sure as I have 3D projector capable of 120Hz, but only seems to work with VGA cable connected but not with HDMI cable from PC. I have a Nvidia GTX260 graphics card, so noit sure if 120hz works over hdmi or only DVI / VGA, Maybe its just my projector works 120hz with VGA cable only H5360 Acer 3D projector
m
l
October 2, 2010 5:54:05 PM

vvhocare5 said:
It should - the two are essentially the same except there will be no audio from the monitor. DVI doesnt carry audio. And the reason I say "should" is you just never really know about every connector on this planet conforming to standards.

but for $15 I would go get one and give it a shot.

Post your results

Actually, while most graphics cards don't have the feature, the DVI cable CAN support audio. Used to think the same thing, but I hooked my DVI to HDMI cable to my HDTV and without ANY other audio cables hooked up, sound was coming through my TV from the computer. Turns out when I installed my Graphics card (Gfx 260), it had an audio cable hookup on the inside. Not sure if it's limited to which system, but in the nvidia control panel under display/Change resolution, it'll say HDMI-HDTV (Audio Enabled/Disabled).

Anyhoo, I was struggling with figuring out how to get 120hz from my graphics card to my HDTV and, thanks to forums like this, I definitely got some great advice (And figured it out!). DVI adapter, HDMI cable that supported 120hz (it'll say on the packaging) and use the Forceware drivers, not nvidia's.

Thanks to everyone on the forum for their help!

m
l
!