Sign in with
Your question

Replace CPU heatsink on AMD CPU for Dell E521

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
June 24, 2010 6:11:38 PM

Hello,
Not very clear on how to remove the heat sink from CPU.

1 Loosen the captive screw on each side of the heat sink assembly. OK...

2 NOTICE: To prevent damage to the processor, press on the heat sink assembly toward the front of the computer to help break the thermal grease bond between the heat sink and the processor. ???? Not sure on what they mean. DO I unlatch the ZIF latch bar holding the CPU into the socket??? or how to separate the heat sink from the CPU....

rest is obvious if I can get the heat sink off the CPU....
3 Rotate the heat sink assembly towards the rear of the computer, and then remove it from the computer.

So now what? I'd like not to damage the present CPU chip in case new CPU doesn't work.

Please advise on how to remove heat sink
Thanks
ROn
a c 105 à CPUs
June 24, 2010 6:24:39 PM

you unscrew the two screws on the rightside of the heatsink, the left side of the heatsink is hooked onto the bar. you don't remove the bar but lift the heatsink as if you are opening a book.
m
l
June 24, 2010 10:21:01 PM

I got that part, but the heat sink is adhered to the CPU chip. But how do I loosen the heat sink from the CPU? Some say to wiggle the heat sink so it can break loose from the top of the CPU. Not obvious as to how to do that as the plastic shield is attached to the heat sink.
Thanks
m
l
Related resources
a c 105 à CPUs
June 24, 2010 10:48:10 PM

one quick way is to turn on your PC for a minute and then shut it down. it should heat up the compound to help loosen it.
m
l
June 25, 2010 5:09:31 AM

ct1615 said:
one quick way is to turn on your PC for a minute and then shut it down. it should heat up the compound to help loosen it.

OK, once heated up, I can wiggle the heat sink around, protecting my fingers of course, to loosen the sink up and separate it from the top of the CPU. Boy, why do they design these things the way they do? I liked the side latch heat sink design. At least one can wiggle the sink around, but this Dell design has no way to even pry between the CPU and sink to loosen them up. Well, I'll give it a go and see what happens. Thanks for the clue to doing this.
Ron
m
l
June 25, 2010 6:06:59 PM

ct1615 said:

I guess I need to refine my comment:
OK, once the CPU is heated up, all I have to do is wiggle the heat sink around to loosen the sink up and separate it from the top of the CPU? There's not much wiggle room on the heat sink. Suggestions???
m
l
a c 105 à CPUs
June 25, 2010 6:57:50 PM

you don't really wiggle it. you lift it from the right side like a lever.
m
l
June 25, 2010 8:30:32 PM

ct1615 said:
you don't really wiggle it. you lift it from the right side like a lever.

OK it worked. I didn't realize that the heat sink would slide forward (towards the front of the PC). I was expecting a little more resistance. But if it's warm, it must glide.
I just wanted to make sure I didn't damage the old CPU in case the new CPU didn't work as expected. Always have plan "B" and "C"..
Thanks for your patience and help.
Ron
m
l
!