Solved

GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD7 or ASUS MAximus IV Extreme

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Gigabyte
  • Product
Last response: in Motherboards
December 27, 2010 4:33:53 PM

I'm gonna get a SB i7-2600K and I had been planning on getting a M4E along with it when I saw that the GA-P67A-UD7 was also looking to fill the high-end spotlight. As Far as I can tell the only big difference between the two is the UEFI BIOS Included in the M4E. Oh and the probably price difference of about $100. I've already budgeted for the M4E so money really isn't a concern, and I really want a UEFI BIOS just fort he coolness factor. Does Toms Hardware Forums think it's worth the extra $100?

More about : gigabyte p67a ud7 asus maximus extreme

a c 717 V Motherboard
December 27, 2010 5:03:14 PM

Personally, I would prefer an X58 build over the P67. If history holds true the out of your bunch the Maximus IV Extreme will be the better pick. Good article - http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1466/1/

Also, regarding the UEFI BIOS - seen it played with it and I'm not that impressed; it's a GUI BIOS. Now, if it could draw information from the cloud to 'tweak' itself based upon installed components then you'd have a winner! That's NOT the case.
m
l
December 27, 2010 5:46:49 PM

Well in an early benchmark the SB desktop parts gave the 980X a run for its money, and at $320 too. I know that it was an engineering sample but I believe the consumer level chips will be close.

m
l
Related resources
a c 717 V Motherboard
December 27, 2010 6:31:11 PM

I can show Maya rendering with the current 6-core AMDs as the very clear winner over ALL Intels - yep all of them.

My decision quite some time ago was to skip the P67 and P55 and look at X58 and X68. Intel plays games with 'Turbo Boost' and CPU multipliers on the SAME Lithography production {same chip but different locked or baseline multipliers}. Hence the 3.4 vs 3.3 worthless examples.

If you barely increase the CPU Multiplier or the BCLK the i7 950 is the same speed or can be faster than 2600K, but I'd have a tough time buying into a 2600K 4+4 @ 3.4 beating the 980X 6+6 @ 3.3; the 980X I have runs stable at 4.6GHz with 6-cores. The 2600K absolutely does not have the overhead of ANY current Intel 6-cores; therefore the 'test' was with 4 or less cores; Ghz 'manipulation' ideology. Playing the 'GHz' game with multipliers levels the field BUT you're still stuck with architecture.

Rather than building P67 a tiny wait longer is the X68; to 'me' the draw isn't the CPUs it the PCIe 3.0 and overall improved architectural differences; Ferrari in a Ferrari chassis.

So, getting back to you, it depends upon what the need is for your Apps and use. Example if you don't game or render then it doesn't matter. If you do then it's about balance {faster: SSD, CPU, GPU, MOBO (architecture), RAM, etc.}
m
l
December 27, 2010 6:43:40 PM

Gaming, and some video encoding. the spot where the SB sample beat out the 980X was in World Of Warcraft BTW, I can't seem to find the page that had them compared anymore though. I plan on spending $300 on my proc and $200-400 on my MOBO so if SB comes out and it's still better to go with a 950 I can definitely do that, but I think SB is going to be worth it.

I just can't wait anymore, my old Q6600 B3 stepping is really starting to creep for me. Plus it's not shiny anymore :D 
m
l

Best solution

a c 717 V Motherboard
December 27, 2010 8:04:52 PM

WoW sometimes fails on SLI, so nothing with that game surprises me... I'm not a WoW fan {bad me}, but as I've heard it only utilizes 2-3 cores; also I have a limited understanding I've only read that have to 'tweak' the config.wtf and even then some contradictions. They REALLY need to update their engine.

X58 vs P67 - X58 {short version} better architecture including PCIe, Tri Channel, non-shared bandwidth. It's all about pulling/pushing/processing data.

Q - What's your total Budget?

If it were 'me':
$295~230 i7 950 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... // http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml... {walk-in only}
$205 ASUS P6X58D-E http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi...|13-188-065^13-188-065-TS,13-188-066^13-188-066-TS,13-131-641^13-131-641-TS
$145 Corsair Dominator 1600 6GB (3X2GB) TR3X6G1600C8D http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$250 EVGA 012-P3-1472-AR GeForce GTX - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi...|14-130-549^14-130-549-TS,14-130-550^14-130-550-TS,14-130-593^14-130-593-TS,14-130-590^14-130-590-TS
$XXX Corsair PSU http://www.corsair.com/psufinder/default.aspx Depends on how many GPUs.
$250 SSD Options -> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi...|20-227-578^20-227-578-TS,20-148-348^20-148-348-TS,20-233-125^20-233-125-TS&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-RSSDailyDeals-_-na-_-na&AID=10521304&PID=3463938&SID=

BTW - I've noticed that prices have gone up $20~$30 in past few days just on the above.
December 27, 2010 9:25:01 PM

teh_tourist said:
Gaming, and some video encoding. the spot where the SB sample beat out the 980X was in World Of Warcraft BTW, I can't seem to find the page that had them compared anymore though.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3871/the-sandy-bridge-pre...

It's here. Also interesting to note that it was the i5 2400, not the i7 2600, which I assume would have preformed even better.

That said, you're making me doubt myself, jaquith! Either way, I think I'll go with SB and the p67 this time around... and down the road upgrade to a x68 with one of the SB 'E' processors. Maybe double my RAM for the quad channel. That'll be sessy.
m
l
December 28, 2010 1:23:05 PM

Gigabyte boards are usually more reliable, less gimmick, and stable.
m
l
a c 717 V Motherboard
December 28, 2010 1:47:58 PM

^I only wish that statement were true for everyone - there are a LOT more GA MOBO with unresolvable problems in 'this' forum, and I too have had very bad luck with GA.

Therefore, I prefer ASUS and EVGA then MSI or ASRock and that's about it.
m
l
December 31, 2010 6:28:39 AM

I had such a bad expreience with my last ASUS board that cost me so much that I just can't see myself going back.
ASUS used to be "Rock solid, heart touching" lol, but it was more like
"Eye touching".
m
l
a c 717 V Motherboard
December 31, 2010 12:46:49 PM

Gigabyte 'tries' to 'Swiss Army Knife' their MOBOs too much so they look dazzling on paper and in doing so often either causes monumental problems or hides the fact, for example, their SATA3 has no available bandwidth so you end-up having more {real speeds} on the SATA2.

I'm also smart enough to know 'most' failures are NOT caused by the MOBO itself, but are caused by User's poor choices/ability to install or choose proper equipment e.g. 9/10 failures 'dead MOBOs' have their origins from BAD POWER: 1. Cheap PSU {dirty power, undersized, non-fault tolerant, or non-voltage protection}, 2. No UPS {power spikes, bad Hz drops/spikes, brown/black-outs, line noise, poor grounding, lightening, etc}.

In my case I had 10/10 GA X58 UD3R have {I was the one who 1st confirmed} SSD + RAID failures it was/is a design flaw. PSU example - I had 2 identical rigs - both had popped the ATI transistors the second rendered a smoking PSU; no I could have blamed the ATI or whatever component failed,but the second failure confirmed the PSU as root cause. I've seen posts where EVERYONE assumed the MOBO {GA} but it turned-out to be the CPU failure. So I only count the known RMA + Confirmation MOBO replacements as a 'bad' MOBO -- clearly it could be the power.

The following 'really' blown MOBO was assumed to be the MOBO as root cause, but when the OP was questioned it was a 100+ year old house with horrible wiring. The motto of this story is "it not always what it seems to be, get an UPS and get a very good PSU {e.g. Corsair: Single Rail, Japanese capacitors, fault & under/over voltage protection}. I could write a book.

MSI {innocent victim of bad power}:
m
l
January 5, 2011 3:33:10 PM

Buying the 1.0 version of any new motherboard will have you hating yourself in six months for not waiting just a little longer for the 1.1 version.
m
l
January 11, 2011 6:17:21 AM

jaquith said:
Gigabyte 'tries' to 'Swiss Army Knife' their MOBOs too much so they look dazzling on paper and in doing so often either causes monumental problems or hides the fact, for example, their SATA3 has no available bandwidth so you end-up having more {real speeds} on the SATA2.

I'm also smart enough to know 'most' failures are NOT caused by the MOBO itself, but are caused by User's poor choices/ability to install or choose proper equipment e.g. 9/10 failures 'dead MOBOs' have their origins from BAD POWER: 1. Cheap PSU {dirty power, undersized, non-fault tolerant, or non-voltage protection}, 2. No UPS {power spikes, bad Hz drops/spikes, brown/black-outs, line noise, poor grounding, lightening, etc}.

In my case I had 10/10 GA X58 UD3R have {I was the one who 1st confirmed} SSD + RAID failures it was/is a design flaw. PSU example - I had 2 identical rigs - both had popped the ATI transistors the second rendered a smoking PSU; no I could have blamed the ATI or whatever component failed,but the second failure confirmed the PSU as root cause. I've seen posts where EVERYONE assumed the MOBO {GA} but it turned-out to be the CPU failure. So I only count the known RMA + Confirmation MOBO replacements as a 'bad' MOBO -- clearly it could be the power.

The following 'really' blown MOBO was assumed to be the MOBO as root cause, but when the OP was questioned it was a 100+ year old house with horrible wiring. The motto of this story is "it not always what it seems to be, get an UPS and get a very good PSU {e.g. Corsair: Single Rail, Japanese capacitors, fault & under/over voltage protection}. I could write a book.

MSI {innocent victim of bad power}:
http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af254/Jaquith/CPU_FIRE_TP.jpg

Very good point jaquith.
Many times it is bad power that's causing the problems.
m
l
January 15, 2011 1:07:31 AM

Best answer selected by teh_tourist.
m
l
!