GA-MA785GM-US2H strange hdmi audio question

aa1rose

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
Hi everybody, I just built my first htpc and I am having an audio problem. I have searched the internet for a couple of days but noone seems to have my problem. When I start up my computer, I have video but no audio. While the computer is on, if I unplug the hdmi cable and reconnect it, the audio kicks in and will stay on until I restart the computer and go through this process again. Anybody have any suggestions?

HTPC Specs:
GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Athlon II X3 435 Rana 2.9GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Processor
CORSAIR CMPSU-400CX 400W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner
G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800

Thanks!

calinkula

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
Based on what you said my first guess would be that the motherboard is not detecting HDMI audio properly on power on.

Check Gigabyte's website to see if they have any BIOS updates available. They could have an audio fix in one of them.

aa1rose

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
Mobo came with F7 bios rev. First thing I did was update bios even before trying any audio. So just now I went back to my original bios from a backup I made (rev. F7) and same problem.

calinkula

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
It doesn't sound like a driver issue to me, but if you updated your BIOS first thing I assume your running the latest drivers for your motherboard as well.

Do you happen to have a 2nd HDMI cable you could try? I once had an HDMI cable that would flake out randomly. It made it look like my PS3 was the problem since restarting it would fix the problem for a while. I replaced the cable instead of the PS3 first because its cheaper and never had a problem since.

aa1rose

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010

Well I guess I figured out the problem doing a different search method. Seems like the "handshake" is not being done if my TV is already on when I power up the htpc. If I turn power cycle my TV, sound kicks in. So I am assuming it is my TV and not the mobo. Now if I can find a program that power cycles my tv for me that would be sweet.