some machines can ping but thats it

jcarte01

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2003
Hi
I'm trying [unsuccessfully :-( ] to setup a home network.
my hardware setup is.
pc#1 (dual boot) ASUS K8V running xp pro and mantrake linux 64 (1000,100,10Mb ethernet on mobo)
pc#2 win 95 machine with ISA linksys 10Mb card.
pc#3 work laptop (dell c600, 100,10 eth) running win2k (setup for DHCP)
(brought this home as a reference machine as i know its set up right)
8 port 10/100 3com switch.

step (1)
initially I had pc 1(xp) and pc2 connected up to the switch.
xp could ping the 95 machine but 95 wouldn't ping xp (got request timed out) message. when i booted pc1 to linux both could ping each other but that was it, linux couldn't see shared drive on 95, couldn't telnet or ftp linux box (ftpd and telnetd are running on linux).
step (2)
brought the work laptop (pc3) home and dialin to work so laptop could pick up an ip address from dhcp server.
when pc1 is in linux all 3 can ping each other but thats it.
xp wont respond to pc2 or pc3.

the ip addresses are
pc1 10.131.28.142
pc2 10.131.28.141
(assigned ips to pc 1 and 2 to suit ip of pc 3)
pc3 10.131.28.140 (assigned by dhcp server)
subnet mask is 255.255.252.0 on all 3 machines

question 1:
am i correct in assuming that since they can all ping each other in at least 1 configuration that my cables and connections are ok ?
q 2:
does pinging imply that drivers and tcp ip protocols are working ok ?
q3: can any one spot if im missing some thing.

thanks jc

Homer: There’s 3 ways to do things, the right way, the wrong way, and the max power way.
Bart: isn’t that the wrong way.
Homer: yea but faster.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
xp could ping the 95 machine but 95 wouldn't ping xp (got request timed out) message.
I'm suspecting the XP firewall is enabled

linux couldn't see shared drive on 95, couldn't telnet or ftp linux box (ftpd and telnetd are running on linux).
The 95 box couldn't telnet of FTP to the linux box? I don't think (from what I remember) 95 has telnet and ftp clients, you'll have to get them from tucows or something

xp wont respond to pc2 or pc3
again, probably XP firewall

am i correct in assuming that since they can all ping each other in at least 1 configuration that my cables and connections are ok ?
yes.

does pinging imply that drivers and tcp ip protocols are working ok ?
yes.

can any one spot if im missing some thing
check to see if your XP firewall is enabled. Also, try to telnet/ftp to linux from the 2K laptop. Also make sure that the linux machine is correctly enabled to allow external telnet and ftp connections. Sometimes the default is to not allow that.

<pre> \|/
jlanka (. .)
___________oOOo_(_(_)_)_oOOo___________
</pre><p>

jcarte01

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2003
hi
i finaly figured out what was happening i had installed a package called pc cillin which i got with my asus k8v mobo. this had a fire wall enabled once disabled all was ok. there is a facility to add a "friendly" ip address but it dosen't seem to work. if any one else reads this see if you can ping you machine before you log on if you can ping while not logged on but cant ping when logged in then your firewall may well be what is the trouble

thanks again jlanka

Homer: There’s 3 ways to do things, the right way, the wrong way, and the max power way.
Bart: isn’t that the wrong way.
Homer: yea but faster.

TRENDING THREADS