Sign in with
Your question

Strange improper boot device problem

Last response: in Windows 7
October 25, 2011 1:43:07 AM

Im sure these get posted often but Ive searched and this is a little out of the ordinary apparently because I cant find an answer. Ive had my newly built computer for a couple months running w7 64 bit on a 10000rpm hdd, recently I bought a 64gig ssd and promptly installed w7 on it. All was fine at this point, I changed boot priorities to the ssd and it was booting up with amazing speed. However, tonight I decided to reformat the original hdd. I went into cmd, diskpart, selected the hdd and made the partition inactive so I could format it. I went to reboot but when I did I got the dreaded "Reboot and select proper boot device" error. In my bios nothing has changed; first priority is the ssd. Ive tried to put every boot priority as the ssd with no change.

Thinking, however unlikely it may be, that I accidentally made the ssd inactive in cmd I made the original hdd the primary boot device only to see the same error.

Can anyone help? BF3 comes out tonight and Im going to be a sad panda if I dont get to start shooting people in the face. :( 
a b $ Windows 7
October 25, 2011 2:13:18 AM

If you go into run and type in disk management do you still see the C drive as healthy.
m
l
October 25, 2011 2:31:09 AM

I cant load windows at all to get there.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 25, 2011 3:18:26 AM

Can you reinstall windows on the SSD? Or put in the Windows disk and repair the installed windows file on the SSD?
m
l
!