Sign in with
Your question
Solved

[CPU] Phenom II X2 555 vs. Phenom II X4 955

Last response: in CPUs
June 24, 2010 7:44:49 PM

Hi All,

I did a quick search through the first couple pages and didn't see any direct debate regarding the X4 955 being recommended over an X2 555 with its other 2 cores unlocked. I hope this hasn't been beaten to death too badly..

I realize you probably shouldn't purchase a dual core and expect to be able to unlock the other two cores with any certainty but it looks like many people have had great success doing this. It seems as though, for a gaming pc, that the 955 gets a lot of recommendations.

My question is what is the difference between these two processors once the other two cores are unlocked on the 555? (Other than the obvious $70)

If there is no difference then I think I can finally decide on what processor to get for my new build.

Thanks.

Best solution

June 24, 2010 8:07:19 PM

They are the same die, same chip. If you have success in unlocking the 2 other cores without errors and get them to the same frequency, then you will essentially have a 955.
a c 105 à CPUs
June 24, 2010 8:12:55 PM

plenty of people have the x2 550/555 with two bad cores, they just don't post and brag about it like people who did unlock two good cores.

the question you should ask yourself "will i be happy with a phenom II x2 CPU?"
m
l
Related resources
June 24, 2010 8:13:59 PM

No significant differences IF you get the other cores unlocked.

Most people recommend a Quad-core over a Dual-core due to what applications/software they may be running.

Is this a gaming rig only? What sort of games do you play? What resolution do you game at? Any other software you run?

It may be worth the extra $70 to ensure you get the right CPU for the job. Not all X2 555's will unlock properly or possibly have stability issues if they do. It's the risk you take.
m
l
June 24, 2010 8:17:27 PM

ct1615 said:
plenty of people have the x2 550/555 with two bad cores, they just don't post and brag about it like people who did unlock two good cores.

the question you should ask yourself "will i be happy with a phenom II x2 CPU?"

^ This

Of course you will read about all the success stories. You're not gonna read a lot of "OMG X2 555's DIDN'T UNLOCK WTF" :) 
m
l
June 24, 2010 8:37:30 PM

I hope to build a machine that can run new DX10/11 games (Bioshock2, Diablo3, WoW, MW2, BFBC2) in 1920x1080 on high settings. I do a small amount of music production and burn movies and music. I'm not sure if the music prodcution automatically excludes AMD processors.

Currently I have a Dell Dimension Core 2 Duo E6400 @ 2.13 (I'm not at home so I can't look at it - I'm pretty sure that's the right number) with 4 gigs of 800mhz cheapo ram. I RMA'd my BFG 8800GT and they sent me a GTS250 OC2 512mb that seems to draw too much power from my power supply. I'll get random power downs in the middle of playing where the computer will restart itself even if I turn resolution and settings down. The northbridge seems to get wicked hot (to the touch).

I just want to be able to run games at high settings without interuption. I've spent enough of my life turning settings down and now I just want to be able to set it all to high without having to worry about it so I can get maximum enjoyment. I don't think it would bother me too much if it took extra time to burn a movie or record a song.

I thought that the X2 555 would be the cheapest bang for my buck if I could successfully unlock it. I see that it's more of a gamble than what I thought so I may need to reconsider the processor again.

Thanks for the input everyone!
m
l
a c 105 à CPUs
June 24, 2010 8:47:32 PM

i suggest one of the athlon II x3, like the 435 or 440. i think the x3 440 is actually cheaper...currently...on newegg.

they are cheaper then the x2 555, run dual core games just as well and are actually better in multi-core games like BFBC22 because of the 3rd core. they also have just as much of a chance to unlock a 4th core as the x2 555.

plus it makes an excellent combo CPU with your GTS250, i know since i have a x3 CPU & GTS250.

m
l
a c 103 à CPUs
June 24, 2010 10:33:05 PM

If you can't unlock cores its still a great gaming CPU and a good overclocker. From reading many forum posts many people say its 50/50 on the core unlock but anyone that has real numbers its more like 80-90% with the 550 & 555s and it alot higher than Athlon & Phenom x3's.
m
l
a c 105 à CPUs
June 24, 2010 10:46:38 PM

simon12 said:
...real numbers its more like 80-90% with the 550 & 555s...

please link these real numbers otherwise you just made them up and are wasting other people's money!
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 25, 2010 3:50:07 AM

I have an unlocked 550, and know 4 other people in REAL LIFE who have successfully unlocked. none who have bought the chip from our local store have had trouble unlocking. OC.net shows above 70 percent success rate.

but of course, it is NOT guaranteed. you need to be happy with a dual if you cannot unlock. but people here do seem pessimistic about the success rates.
m
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
August 2, 2010 9:02:28 PM

OMG X2 555's DIDN'T UNLOCK WTF ! :o 

I got an MSi 785GM-P45 MB advertised specificly to Unlock CPU core.
Maybe it is only for the x3 chips, lol.

Phenom ll X2 555 be, will not unlock in this board.
Anybody have any tricks up their sleeve?
The box says "3.2 GHz True Dual-Core Design". could it be true?

P.S. what is a good FPS game to test the graphics performance with (even if only with 2 core active)?
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 3, 2010 2:05:36 AM

as above, its not guaranteed. it won't be the motherboard, its the chip. some cannot unlock. unfortunately you must have gotten a defective core.
m
l
August 4, 2010 3:47:51 AM

I just bought an AMD Phenom II X2 555 BE, i successfully unlocked 1 one of the extra cores, it is now a Phenom II X3, i couldnt get the fourth core to unlock. The fourth core was too unstable it wouldnt even let me start windows 7. So I left it at 3 and OCed it to 3.5Ghz Stable under prime95.

I am very happy with the performance in gaming, i get better FPS then i did with my Phenom X4 9850 BE.
m
l
August 11, 2010 3:55:53 PM

Best answer selected by coalesce.
m
l
!