$1000 CAD upgrades to Gaming PC

herbaltylenol

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
Hello,

Building a computer for a friend. He wants to upgrade his current PC...and he won't upgrade it for another 4-5 years.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Tomorrow.

BUDGET RANGE: Less than $1000 after rebates and tax.

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, gaming, gaming. He will only play games like WoW + HoN + future Blizzard games + maybe other games (Definitely not games like Crysis + other first shooters, he plays those on his PS3).

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard/Mouse/Monitor/Case/PSU/HDD/Dvd drive/Windows 7

Using following case Thermaltake Tsunami: Thermaltake Tsunami Dream VA3000BWA

Using the following PSU Ultra X-500 Watt: Ultra X-Connect 500W PSU

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: www.canadacomputers.com, www.newegg.ca, www.ncix.com, www.tigerdirect.ca

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Canada

PARTS PREFERENCES: Intel pref. for CPU since I believe he can fit it in his budget.

OVERCLOCKING: No overclocking or SLI/CF. I may convince him to OC, but 85% chance he won't.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: He needs new parts tomorrow. He said after 2-3 weeks, he'll upgrade his monitor or attach another one (Not Eyefinity though).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CPU: i5-750 $208.99
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB CL7 DD3-1600 $123.50
Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-P55M-UD2 LGA 1156 Intel P55 <-- I don't think he needs SATA 6 / USB 3 (he won't be upgrading for long time). $109.99
GPU: Sapphire Vapor-X 5850 <--- Only $20 more than regular 5850. $339.99

TOTAL = $782.47

Potential Changes:

PSU: Corsair 650TX - $109.99

HD: Can't find Samsung F3s in stock! So Seagate 500gb - $59.99

New Total with 2 changes = $952.45 before Taxes/Rebates (Too much after Taxes!)

Maybe this Mobo (I don't see why though): Mobo - Asus P7P55D-E - $194.99

Thanks everyone. I think 5850 is right for his needs...he doesn't play those ultra-intensive games, but it should last him 4 years based on the games he plays.

PS: I tried clicking the paperclip button, and a new popup comes says to put link into Internal link...let's me select from a drop-down menu (lists Albums, downloads, etc.) and then there's a search button + external link box...after clicking submit nothing happens : \)

Solution
Thought you would NEVER ask !!

... actually ... I knew it from the start. Folks come in thinking they want INTEL ... BUT ... When they total it all up and shave it down, many folks switch to AMD ... I am one of those people !

Calling all VALUE TECHS !!! (this is their cue .. and, MAN, are they good at what they do!)

CANADIAN BUILD! ... Please use newegg.ca !

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
While the PSU is certainly powerful enough (for ONE GPU), I do NOT SEE any PCIe Power connectors, which this card needs !

Definitely NOT Crossfire ready !

Features, Specifications and Package Contents
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Features

•High-Gloss Mirror Finish
•Modular Cable Connection System
•UV Reactive Shielded Cables
•Dual 80mm Fans
•Low Acoustic Noise
•Short Circuit Protection
•In-rush Current Protection
•Thermal Overload Protection
•Supports Intel Pentium 4 and AMD CPUs
•Meets ATX Version 2.03 and ATX 12V Version 1.2
•MTBF>100,000 Hours at Full Load, 110VAC & 25ºC Ambient Condition

Connectors

•1x 20-Pin Main Power
•1x 6-Pin AUX (Xeon) Power
•1x 4-Pin 12V (P4)
•6x 4-Pin Peripheral
•2x SATA
•1x Floppy
Specifications

herbaltylenol

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
Yeah I'm trying to convince him that his 6 year old 500W might be ok for now, but not later.

He keeps saying he won't be upgrading/adding another card for at least 4-5 years (at which point he'll probably just do a new build).

How's the rest of the system though?

EDIT: Hmm it's a 5-6 year old PSU...is it possible to buy separate PCIe cables or will he have to get a new PSU?

That PSU brand is not something I would use on a production box...or anything really.

I don't think he needs SATA 6 / USB 3 (he won't be upgrading for long time)

Reusing old HD's means that his system speed will be controlled by his old HD's. If he expects to get 4 years outta this....all the more reason to have storage upgrade capability......storage is cheap. You could add a card later, but that steals a slot.

I'd get this:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131621

herbaltylenol

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
Ok so let's say he replaces his HD...I saw that motherboard, noticed the price + SATA6/USB3 and didn't think he'd need it. Any particular reason why he'd need it? I can get him to replace the HD, though I think it's already 7200 rpm.

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
ALSO ... +1 on the HDDs ...

If they are old, they are not ONLY just slower ... they are, well, "old" ...

... By old, I do mean that it is a mechanical device that is (NOW) much more likely to fail sooner, rather than later ... Do you really want to recover from a total crash ?

... Take your old HDDs and transfer them to an external, USB2 enclosure, for backups... Don't leave the old drives running 24/7 ... unplug them unltil/unless you are actively performing a backup. That way, you can preserve the old drives, for backups, for many years.

herbaltylenol

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
Ok I added a new Mobo + PSU to the build list. If I add an HD, it'll be overbudget for sure.

If I leave the Gigabyte Mobo + get new HD + new PSU...I'll still be @roughly $950, which is too much.

But is there any reason as to why he should get the Asus SATA6/USB3? He won't be upgrading or CFing for at least 4 years, so it seems like a waste to me.

Also, Newegg/NCIX/Canadacomputers don't have 500GB Samsung F3s :(

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
CPU: i5-750 $208.99
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB CL7 DD3-1600 $123.50
Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-P55M-UD2 LGA 1156 Intel P55 <-- I don't think he needs SATA 6 / USB 3 (he won't be upgrading for long time). $109.99
GPU: Sapphire Vapor-X 5850 <--- Only $20 more than regular 5850. $339.99

TOTAL = $782.47

It all looks great ... not sure if the mobo is a "best choice", though ... You will definately want to go with a P55 Gigabyte or ASUS ... that much is for sure.

= Al =

Alvin Smith

Distinguished

Right ... He can add a MOLEX-to-6+2 pin adapter, for that one card ... should work fine, within rated specs.

But, WHY? ... He may not want to UPGRADE, for another 5 years BUT he sure is setting himself up for catastrophic failures (HDDs & PSU) ... As long as he understands this older stuff isn't designed to go beyond 5 years (honestly) ... PLUS ... HDDs and PSUs are THE MOST FAILURE PRONE components in the entire system ... If you look at the MTBF of PSUs, it is VERY SHORT, compared to the all digital, low-power, solid-state components.

PSUs get hot ... they have fans ... they accumulate "gunk" and just plain wear out, pretty fast.

I would not even expect the best Corsairs to last a full 10 years ... tho more than half (i.e. "on average"), will last that long.

= Al =

herbaltylenol

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
Alright, adding in the new PSU + HD and keeping the same Mobo will bring the price too high. Can you make any suggestions anywhere else?

The only reason I'm not going with the Asus P755D Mobo is because of the price. The Gigabyte mATX doesn't have SATA6/USB3 but I don't see any reason why my friend would need it. The Gigabyte seems cheap + good enough (imo).

Can't find anywhere else to cut the price though :(

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
Thought you would NEVER ask !!

... actually ... I knew it from the start. Folks come in thinking they want INTEL ... BUT ... When they total it all up and shave it down, many folks switch to AMD ... I am one of those people !

Calling all VALUE TECHS !!! (this is their cue .. and, MAN, are they good at what they do!)

CANADIAN BUILD! ... Please use newegg.ca !

Solution

herbaltylenol

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
I told my friend from the start that if he wanted a 5850 in his build, he should switch to an AMD build :p I'll show him the final price for the intel build with new HD/PSU, and hopefully after we get a list posted here, I'll show him an AMD build.

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
I am really slow at builds and there are folks here that can run circles around me and just pull that stuff right outa their hats ... really good builds.

Sure wish Fang or Batuchka or gKay or The Admiral would show up and cut you a (Canadian) build. Would save me the trouble of getting "jumped".

= wink =