Are HP & Dell Cases Standard ATX/Micro ATX?

nullqwerty

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
Hey folks,

I've got an HP Pavillion and a Dell Inspiron lying around in need of an update. They're old P4's. I was thinking of just popping in a new motherboard/cpu/memory. One thing I'm not sure of though...do these manufacturers use standard ATX/Micro ATX cases? Or when I go to put in the new Mobo, will the screws not line up, and the ports on the back not line up? Any other issues?

Thanks!

Solution
ATX and mATX only differ in size. An mATX mobo can/will fit into an ATX case, but not vice versa. To determine the form factor of a case, take a look at the back panel of the case. Lie the case flat, with the motherboard tray on the bottom. If the case is (m)ATX, then the open space for the mobo I/O panel will be left of the center. If the case is (m)BTX, then the open space for the mobo I/O panel will be right of the center.

I'd venture to say with 99% certainty, that the case(s) in question are ATX or mATX, as the BTX form factors are very unpopular. In fact, chances are you haven't even seen one.

As far as using the case for a new build, you may run into a problem if you try to reuse the front panel (where the power button...

echod

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010
I had a pavillion and it was a micro ATX but not sure about the Dell. Just look at them. If the Dell mobo is bigger than the HP than more than likely it is a micro. Most consumer computers are Micro ATX though

ATX and mATX only differ in size. An mATX mobo can/will fit into an ATX case, but not vice versa. To determine the form factor of a case, take a look at the back panel of the case. Lie the case flat, with the motherboard tray on the bottom. If the case is (m)ATX, then the open space for the mobo I/O panel will be left of the center. If the case is (m)BTX, then the open space for the mobo I/O panel will be right of the center.

I'd venture to say with 99% certainty, that the case(s) in question are ATX or mATX, as the BTX form factors are very unpopular. In fact, chances are you haven't even seen one.

As far as using the case for a new build, you may run into a problem if you try to reuse the front panel (where the power button is). Typically, these prebuilt systems have proprietary connectors that are designed to fit one version of a particular motherboard. You can easily mount the mobo into the case, but I would use a different power button assembly.

Solution