I7-3770K only at 3.7...help

HBchevelle68

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013
Hi all, so I just got my build completed today and so I decided to run Prime95 with no overclock to see what my temps would be and I noticed that after a few hours it has been only running at 3.7 GHz. Why is it not hitting its stock max of 3.9?? I mean I can understand some discrepancy but I feel .2GHz is a lot. Is the processor really just able to handle it that well that it doesn't max out its turbo?

I am a noob to overclocking and I planned on getting a stable overclock of 4.2 over the next week but I am concerned that I cant even get it to hit its max turbo.

System:

CPU: i7-3770K
MOBO: Asus Sabertooth z77
HEAT SINK: Corsair H80i
GPU: EVGA 550ti 2GB
PSU: Corsair HX650
RAM: 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1866 (running at 1600 right now)
SSD: Kingston HyperX 120GB
HDD: 1TB Western Digital Black
CASE: Coolermaster Haf X

Any advice would help!

Bromeh

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012

Some motherboards put a "default overclock" on your processor and it can be diffrent from the "max turbo" one. Just change the settings in the bios and you should be able to hit 3.9Ghz without a problem.

- The Brownie

Orlean

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011
You need to read up on the criteria on how Turbo boost technology works - Turbo Boost is dynamic overclocking of certain core(s) depending on variables such as load, current and thermal load. , 3.7ghz is the right clock speed for the 3770k running 100% load on all 4 cores it will only jump up to 3.9ghz on 1 or 2 cores and as stated above depending on thermal load, current and how much load the processor has on it.

HBchevelle68

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013
Just one more question, The i7-3770K should be able to get to 4.0 no problem. Any suggested settings to try first? I read through the oerclocking sticky on it and it mentions 2 different voltage adjustments. I am new so i am a tad nervous, I dont know what is too much or too little

Bromeh

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012

That really depends on your chip and your motherboard. I can push my 3770k at 4.4GHz with 1.28 stable

- The Brownie

Orlean

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011

Overclock of 4.0 is very simple you can just set the Turbo multiplier to 40 in bios, as far as the two voltage adjustments your talking about I'm assuming offset/manual ? Difference is offset voltage can automatically adjust it's self based on load - manual is a fixed voltage that always stays at that value regardless. What you want to do is set the Multiplier to 40 then load test with Prime95 while using CPU-Z to see what your load voltage is it may not automatically adjust it that much anyway for that clock speed - to get better temps you can tweak the voltage lower by lowering the voltage via a negative offset voltage keep doing it in increments until you find whats stable.

HBchevelle68

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013

Alrighty so I set the turbo multiplier to 40, set the whole thing in XMP mode and then have the CPU voltage set to offset, my question is when I go into the OS and open up CPU-Z it says I am constantly running at 4.0GHz but If I just want it to turbo at 4.0 why is it doing that?

THanks!

guitarfreekx12

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
I basically have the same question about my i7 3770k. I was going to over clock it but before that I noticed on CPUz that my clock never went over 3.5 running prime 95. Is that normal? And when I went to overclock my CPU I set it to 4.7 and followed a complete guide on it. In my mobo bios it says clocked to 4.7ghz but on CPUz under full load all I got was 3.5 again? Am I crazy or what's going on?

Orlean

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011
May have to set XMP first then the Turbo Multiplier, when I set XMP on mine it would change settings. Also make sure the power saving options are enabled such as speedstep, C1E enabled.

Also make sure the power savings options in windows are set correctly too, go to power plan settings in control panel, then go to change plan settings on the selected power plan you have and you will see a advance power settings options click that, scroll down till you see Processor power management under minimum processor state make sure it's set to 0%.

pete123edgar

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013
For those who have problems with the bios saying one thing and CPU-Z says a different thing, try updating to latest bios and clear cmos, that's what happen to me yesterday and I did just that and it is back to normal.