Video card issue on boot-up

timtogo

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010
my com won't boot up dell xps 420 diagnostic light #2 is dark.. fans all working high speed but no boot-up.. no explanations from dell support

lou62

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2010

Hi, I am having similar issues. Unfortunately, when I bought this comp. in 2008 it only took 5 months for it to crap out. Tech came out twice, finally replaced motherboard and video card. This week it finally crapped out again. Took it to Staples, tech said 'don't waste your time and money on working on it as it is an ongoing issue that Dell doesn't want to acknowledge, and people are even filing lawsuits for faulty parts, etc.'

From reading online in several forums I have read many suggestions though...one says to 're-seat processor', another says to 're-insert video card', another says to 'replace motherboard'. However, I am told that the motherboard must be ordered from Dell.

Was online 'chat' with 2 Dell service reps. (foreigners I presume, as their English grammar wasn't so hot). They claim that the xps 420 has 'no known issues with the motherboards.' What a load of crap!

This is sad because I have had a Dimension system since 2002, with no problems and just 'won' a Dell mini notebook computer.

I am at a loss as to what decision to make...Scrap the xps 420 and buy a substitute unit AND send off a written complaint to Dell, OR take my xps into a shop and take my chances.

~signed....'fed up' lol
:heink:

timtogo

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010

I finally fixed my com after doing much research.. I bought a new G-Force Graphics card for about $ 100 bucks and installed it and it has been running perfect ever since... I did the diagnostics with the beeps and flashing lights in the mini view and performed all the functions recommend by techs from websites..and narrowed down to the card.. There is a YouTube video that takes apart a 420 XPS in a few minutes.. for some reason the Graphics card kept the rest of the unit from booting .. I bought my Graphics card from Best Buy and asked if I could return the card if my com wasn't working ..they gave me 30 days to return... spend the $ 100 as insurance and if it doesn't work take it back and get your money .. I'll keep my eye opened now that as you reported that they are having problems with Motherboards...