Sign in with
Your question

Hard drive capacity suddenly says to be full. Please help. Urgent

Last response: in Memory
December 27, 2010 9:10:48 PM

Dear everyone,

Could you please help me. Its urgent. I have a desktop with Windows XP. I am not that familiar with storage devices. Since some days my hard drive a 40 GB one with barely any data in it says that its completely filled up with only 180 MB left. This has slowed my computer a lot and I tried reinstalling XP on my PC but the lack of storage space has made it impossible to boot from CD on my PC.

I was going through lot of articles online and though initially I suspected that it was a virus causing this issue. I am coming to a different conclusion now that as I had a daily scan of an Anti-Virus software in my computer. There were lot of System Restore points created with lot of information at each point and that caused my hard drive to reach its capacity so soon.

My knowledge on this is vague and I request anybody to please help me with this issue as i have given all details of what happened. Please help.

Thanx,

Ricky
a b } Memory
December 27, 2010 9:29:41 PM

System Restore points are like save files, they will require hard drive space. Depending on how much you have, the System Restore points could be the reason your disk space has decreased.

While the Restore points are good to keep for emergencies, a thorough back up plan would easily alleviate this necessity. I recommend you consider these two steps:

1. Get an external hard drive, such as the Western Digital Passport. This device, when connected to your computer, will automatically backup your data.

2. Delete restore points that are more than 6 months old.

If you don't want to do step one, then at least do step two. See if this helps clean up your hard drive.

Another good practice is to defragment your hard drive. Doing so will reorganize your hard drive disk space.
m
l
December 28, 2010 1:29:00 AM

Deleting System Restore points is a good idea but did you tried to delet system temporary files? or disk clean up tool?
use right click on partition, go to properties then hit disk cleanup button.
may be it will work, otherwise it could be due to virus.....................
m
l
Related resources
December 29, 2010 10:24:55 AM

Do a disk cleanup, that should help to clear up some space.

Right click on the drive in My Computer -> Properties -> Disk Cleanup.
Check the file types you want to delete. But don't check the Compress Old Files option.

The click the 'More Options' tab and click 'Clean up' for the system restore points.

Click OK on the main tab; disk cleanup will then run.

If you still don't have sufficient free space, get an external HDD to backup important files off the main drive.

And yes, defragment regularly; an automatic defragmenter is a good idea. As the drive begins to fill up, fragmentation increases and degrades disk performance. Note that the windows defragger requires atleast 15% free disk space; many good third party utilities don't have this limitation though.
m
l
a b } Memory
December 30, 2010 12:06:33 AM

You can defragment with the Windows one with less than 15% free space if you run it from the command line with the -f option. Like "defrag C: -f".
m
l
!