NO Audio, Sound Card is Installed, So is the driver apparently

Status
Not open for further replies.
NO Audio in Windows 7, Sound Card is Installed, so is the driver apparently, and there are no speaker or connection problems, but there is NO Audio.

Everytime I try to play any audio file, a message pops-up saying: "There is a problem with your sound device" "there might not be a sound device installed on your computer, it might be in use by another program, or it might not be functioning properly.

The BIOS has audio enabled. The Device Manager in the Sound Card Properties says: High Definition Audio Controller/Properties/General/The driver for this device might be corrupted, or your system may be running low on memory or other resources. (Code 3)" (it has a Core 2 Duo 2.9GHz + 3GB RAM). The Driver tab/Driver Details says. C:\Windows\System32\DRIVERS\hdadbus.sys... SO is it installed or not? I don't think you can install a driver without a device, the sound card is integrated in the motherboard, so it is installed but the system doesn't recognize it.

The motherboard is a Intel Trinity Valley DG41TY information and searched the Intel website for the sound driver, installed it twice but had no success. Then downloaded the Microsoft Fix it application and ran it both manually and automatic modes.. it detected issues and tried to repair them but the final result was the same

The Action Center tries to troubleshoot the problem, corrects it and comes up with:
"Hardware changes might have not been detected"

I have also tried uninstalling the sound card in the Device Manager and restarting the computer so maybe it will install automatically but nothing, anything I do is useless. Searching for solutions I've found that many people are getting the same problem and I don't see any are getting helped.

I've also downloaded a Fix it for the Device Manager and it found a number of devices that have the yellow exclamation symbol, even the processor has that symbol, but other than being a little slow on some functions (slow for a Core 2 Duo 2.9GHz + 3GB RAM) it doesn't seem to have problems.

Other devices with the exclamation symbol are: The optical drive, a "Composite Bus Enumerator, Intel ICH7 LPC Family Interface Controller, Microsoft Virtual Drive Enumerator Driver, UMBus Root Bus Enumerator. The Optical Drive is not recognized, I can’t check the other devices not knowing what they are for. But the fact that there are several Devices with the same problem indicates there is something very wrong and there is no way to solve it. Not even the microsoft Fix it software can help… so I have triel reinstalling some of the other drivers manually but nothing happens, the systems has the same message for every device with the problem.

If I try to autoreinstall them, the program searches windows update and downloads, then installs the drivers, and later says it did not install the drivers, or it says: "the best driver software for your device is already installed; "Windows has determined that the driver software for your device is up to date. So it’s like a vicious circle without a solution.

btw, I searched on some Microsoft support websites and it appears that many people have this problem… on a forum where threads to other problems are nunbered small 20’s at most,.. 95 have this same sound device problem. The only options I’m faced with is to install a PCI sound Card unless someone here has faced this problem and solved it…

Thanks for your comments and hopefully a solution

Solution
^+1 Exactly
you either have a soundcard or you have an onboard audio chip.
You say soundcard installed=that means a discrete pci/e card btw.

No, it's not a PCI but an onboard audio chip... A PCI would maybe solve the audio problem but the CD/DVD Drive also has the exclamation symbol, and also can't be reinstalled. There are other devices I mentioned above including the processor which doesn't seem to have a problem.

Just found out this computer used to be in a Domain, wonder if that is related. Just in case I changed it to Workgroup in System Properties and it didn't make a difference. I don't know much about how a domain controller works but I would think any policies would not have an effect after the workstation is removed from the network and it is configured as in a workgroup... Am I missing something? What do you think?

4745454b

Titan
Missing something? Yes, system specs.

If you have a card, any card, it might be sharing the IRQ that the audio uses. If so, changing the slot it's in could fix the issue. Seeing as you have other issues however I'm more inclined to think bad board.

It's an onboard chip and there are no PCI adapters connected. I wouldn't be surprised if the board is bad... but, for what I've read online, seems like driver issues are common in Windows 7... coincidentally the same problems as Vista, so that makes one wonder if those folks saying 7 si Vista revamped are actually right. I will have to owe you that complete system specs but I can tell you the system is like new. it's an Intel DG41TY 775 board with 2.7 Core 2 Duo, 3 Gigs DDR2 RAM, SATA 500GB HD and DVD Reader & Writter, the make is not identified.. it recognizes it as a CD-Rom and it doesn't work other than open and close. All IRQs are reported as OK, so other than 8 devices with a black on yellow exclamation symbols and two of those devices not working, everything else is working perfectly.

A reinstallation has been considered but seems that the W7 DVD is not available and besides I wonder if a reinstallation would guarantee results. A new PCI sound card is to follow and will probably solve it... I have never seen a new PCI card fail to be recognized by any system... So that will most likely solve it and if not, getting the DVD will have to follow.

You don't necessarily need the dvd if you have an authentic o/s.

Well, the OS is authentic... it's just that the computer was a gift from the ex-employer to my brother in law and it didn't include the DVD, the case does have the licence on the back and the DVD can be downloaded so it's not a big problem but a PCI card is an easyer solution. For what I've seen a reinstallation is not the solution to every problem, they don't always fix every problem, not even after repeated reinstallations... so the only solution other than a PCI card is reformatting it, but right now is not a good time because the computer is needed. If it were up to me, I wouldn't be looking for answers here, I would take care of it once and for all, but it can't for now.

Already tried that.. even downloaded a Microsoft Fix- it tool which does the same thing as a tool included in Windows 7.. but nothing is changed.... Either the Fix it or the W7 tool when they start say they are detecting each of the problems, don't remember the exact words, but more or say more or less; detecting problem, downloading, fixing, and finally they say the system could not be repaired and come up with a list of possible causes (more like excuses) the repair failed.

Believe me I searched all around and found this is a common problem that apparently has no solution... what I perceived is that it's only solved with either a new PCI sound card, or reinstallation-reformat. Microsoft doesn't have a real solution and seems that they can't do it.. SP1 is already available and they didn't include the fix or prevention, so I guess that means they cant fix their own mess.

And believe me.. I know what I'm doing and have tried everything I could find: I loaded new drivers, uninstalled devices, used the Microsoft Fix-it for the Audio and Fix-it for the Device Manager (to fix all the problems at once), ran several tools included in Windows 7, tried updating the drivers manually... I tried everything possible short of reinstalling, formatting or installing a new PCI sound card which will be following at a convenient time. A System Restore to a previous date would have to be to more than a month ago, but may achive nothing as the start of the problem is unknown... the system had other problems I had already fixed so restoring the system was not an immediate option. I had limited time to fix the sound problem and the PC is now out of my hands, so we'll have to wait.

Thanx for you input,... I know many people have the same problem and some may be interested in how things developed, so I'll try and keep you guys posted as the problem is solved.

Yeah, the utility looks good... clicked on it just to know if it was a download, and seems it did a quick scan answering I have the latest drivers installed.... problem is I don't have Intel drivers, my system is Biostar+AMD. It may have come handy when I was trying to solve the problem but now the computer is back with it's owner.. but thanks anyway, I will relay the link to them.

Just found this utility for all brands of device drivers.
Uniblue Driver Scanner
http://www.uniblue.com/software/driverscanner/

And these freeware driver utilities:
http://fileforum.betanews.com/browse/Drivers/Driver-Utilities/popular?license=freeware&os=windows

For anyone interested in the solution:

I fixed it a few days later with a new PCI sound card and it's included driver. Even installing the new PCI Sound Card with the Drivers included in the System, or trying to leave the installation up to the Plug and Play service didn't help.. but it couldn't resist against the driver included with the new sound card.

Recap: The onboards sound card was not recognized by Windows 7... no matter how I tried to install it, even the Microsoft Fix-it downloaded application or a driver application that detected the problem; downloaded the appropriate driver, installed it, then ended with the same manual installation report that said: "The driver for this device might be corrupted, or your system may be running low on memory or other resources. (Code 3)" which in this case is totally untrue.

Everywhere I searched for information, I found that many users have had the same problem. Taking ownership and resetting the security with Total Control for the Administrators group, didn't do one bit... Windows 7 is apparently to hermetically protected against all possible menaces that it gets paranoic even against the built-in system Administrator account... or so it seems :)

Status
Not open for further replies.