Sign in with
Your question
Solved

I7 860 stock cooler

Last response: in CPUs
June 24, 2010 9:58:17 PM

hey guys, I'm building my machine within the next few days. I'll be rockin' an i7 860 processor. I haven't gone out to buy any thermal paste or anything yet, but you know, the stock cooler/heatsink that comes with the processor is pre pasted.

I don't plan on overclocking ANYTHING in my computer. So the question is, do I bother to go out and get some arctic silver 5, take of the intel paste, and apply my own? or will the stock stuff be enough?

The most strenuous thing my comp will be doing is World of warcraft for say.... MANY hours at a time. If it means anything, my video card is a radeon HD 5770.

So, am I good with the stock cooler and paste?

Thanks!

More about : 860 stock cooler

a b à CPUs
June 24, 2010 10:46:21 PM

For World of warcraft, the video card does most of the work. Try the stock cooler and the thermal compound that it came with. Give it a shot; it might work just fine.

In case you need to change the cooler, you can choose from many available options at that time.

Best solution

June 25, 2010 3:37:06 AM

If you're going to use the stock cooler, stick with the stock paste. It's actually pretty good, I replaced it with Arctic Silver 5 once and didn't notice any change in idle temps after curing time.

If you're going to get an after-market cooler, go with the Cool Master 212+, with Arctic Cooling MX-3 (or Arctic Cooling MX-2, if you wanna save some money).
Related resources
a b à CPUs
June 25, 2010 11:50:35 AM

If all you're going to do is play WoW then save yourself a LOT of money and get a Phenom II X4

Hell, my WoW box downstairs pairs a Phenom II X2 550 with a Radeon 5770 and runs flawlessly full settings 1080p.
June 26, 2010 12:15:52 AM

Quote:
If all you're going to do is play WoW then save yourself a LOT of money and get a Phenom II X4

Hell, my WoW box downstairs pairs a Phenom II X2 550 with a Radeon 5770 and runs flawlessly full settings 1080p.

too late I bought the parts, also, thanks for not answering the question

June 26, 2010 12:19:46 AM

Best answer selected by computerguyman.
a b à CPUs
June 26, 2010 10:10:58 AM

computerguyman said:
Quote:

too late I bought the parts, also, thanks for not answering the question

The question was already answered, so forgive me for offering additional advice. I'll be sure to only answer specifically what you ask next time.

Some ******* people...
!