Penley54

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
I am getting the Samsung 830 128GB SSD in the next couple of days. I bought it on Newegg and it is being shipped as of right now. i have a couple of questions though before it gets here, how do install Windows 7 that is currently on my hdd? I want my Windows 7 to be on my SSD for faster boot times and programs etc. Also how can I install certain games from Steam to my SSD and the others to my hdd? Thanks in advance!

A fresh install of Windows to the SSD is best. You need the installation disk.

Unplug the HDD during install, or you will have conflicts b/t the SSD and HDD. plug in back in once installed, and you have a desktop again.

Install everything to the SSD. Don't you want faster access/loads for everthing?

You can install Steam games to the HDD, there are threads in here about that.

Once the OS is installed to the SSD, you can then move stuff from the HDD to the SSD (Contacts, Favorties, etc. in the User folder).

Use the HDD as a data/media drive for your Libraries (i.e My Docs, Music, Pictures, etc.) There are other threads in here about that too.

fantastik250

Distinguished
You can install windows 7 on your ssd if you unplug the hdd from the motherboard. There are a small number of things you must do before installing windows 7, please refer to Sean's Windows 7 install and Optimization guide for SSD (can google that not too sure if I can refer other website links).

In regards to Steam, You have the option to move games not necessarily install games in either hard drive using Steam Mover. Or you have the option of installing steam in either hard drive. But most of your games will install where you installed steam.

Penley54

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
I am going to do a fresh install of Windows when I get my SSD, although I still have a couple of question before trying anything. What exactly do I have to do before unplugging my hdd? After that, when I plug in my SSD and install Windows, will it recognize that I am re-installing the same Windows 7 or will I have to buy a whole new Windows 7 package? Thanks.

(1) You can use your current windows disk to install, no need to buy a new one. If it is an Upgrade copy, You must use custom install and DO NOT insert key, and 1either install twice (not my recommendation since this is an SSD), or do a simple registry edit followed by running a does cmd.

(2) before removing the HDD and installing the SSD, FIRST verify that your HDD was set up using AHCI. If it was installed with the BIOS set to IDE you may have a problem seeing the HDD.
SEE: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

(3) reason for above: Once you have removed the HDD and installed the SSD and you power on to install win 7, you need to enter your bios and verify (or set) the HDD to AHCI.

Penley54

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
When I first built my Gaming Rig I bought a fresh copy of Windows 7 Home Premium so it is not an upgrade copy. How can I verify that my hdd was set up using AHCI? I dont really remember how I installed my Windows lol so Im not really sure what your asking :/

fantastik250

Distinguished
According to your specs, it seems you have a gigabyte motherboard, during post it usually shows the keys associated with BIOS, boot or such. My motherboard shows DEL (delete key) to enter into BIOS. Once in BIOS you can look for SATA controllers and change IDE to AHCI, if its not already changed.

Yes to enter Bios, just hit the <Del> key during post. (I usally hit it several times.
You should see either IDE, AHCI, or Raid as the controller. IDE = Bad, Raid (But no raid0 or 1) is OK for an Intel MB, AHCI - Hopefully this is what it is set to. If IDE, just change (AFTER doing fix in registry).

...please refer to Sean's Windows 7 install and Optimization guide for SSD

Here is the link: Sean's Windows 7 Install & Optimization Guide for SSDs & HDDs

Take it great! I WAS is the process of writing a sticky for THG, but that one is way better than I could have done!

I always suggest these website for SSD users:

The SSD Review - The SSD Optimization Guide

OCZ Blog - SSD tips & Tweaks

You don't have to do them all, or any. They are just tips. But several will save you drive space, and some will speed up the OS for a SSD.

Boltface

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012

Chief,

I'm just getting ready to put in an SSD and install Win 7. Could you be more specific on what to do with an Upgrade copy or point me to where I can find that info.

For the SSD, the reg change and the bios change are done.

Thanks,

YOU MUST OWN a valid, qualifying OS for the Computer you are using the upgrade win 7 on, just does not have to be on SSD else it is illegal.

Since you do not have an INSTALLED OS you must select custom instal and DO NOT enter your key when prompted to.
Quote from Maximum PC: http://www.maximumpc.com/article/howtos/how_use_your_windows_7_upgrade_disk_fresh_pc?page=0,1
(1) A true geek has never been intimidated by the registry, but lets face it, it's a mess in there. To access the registry you will first need to open up the start menu and type "regedit" into the search field, followed by enter. To find the proverbial needle in this haystack, you will need to navigate through the tabs listed on the left in the following order:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Setup/OOBE/ . If you don't like doing it the hard way just click Edit then Find and type MediaBootInstall into the search field, and press enter.
Once found, double click MediaBootInstall and change the "1" to a "0". Once you have finished this, simply click Ok and close out the Registry Editor.

(2) Before we try to activate our copy of Windows, we need to reset or "Re-Arm" the activation sequence. To do this, simply open up the start menu and type cmd but instead of just pressing enter, you need to press "Ctrl" + "Shift" + "Enter" to run it as an administrator. You can also accomplish this by clicking the start menu, typing cmd into the search box, then right clicking the command prompt application and selecting Run as administrator.
Once the command prompt appears type slmgr /rearm and press enter. Next simply type Exit and hit enter again, after which it will ask you to restart your machine.
End quote:

With in the 30 days you must activate, at this time ENTER your Windows 7 key.

Penley54

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
Okay so I entered in to my Bios and my on chip SATA type was Native IDE. I had the option to change it to AHCI but before you said to do it "AFTER doing fix in registry" - what does that mean? Should I do it now or what?

If you change it in Bios BEFORE the registry edit You will NOT be able to boot into windows as windows will have the WRONG driver.
You must first edit the registry to change it from the pci to ahci (This does NOT take effect untill you reboot) per the uSoft link in my first post. Once the regisrty has been modified, you then reboot -> Bios and make the Bios change, save and reboot this time windows should load and your home free.

Penley54

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
You said that was for people with the Windows 7 upgrade, mine is not an upgrade, it is the full version. Did I just read it wrong or do I still have to do this with the full version of Windows?

fantastik250

Distinguished
No, the change you make into bios will be made into your new win 7 installation. Make sure your computer is off when plugging in your SSD drive. You can check if your SSD is in AHCI mode. You can do this when you are at your desktop in Win7. Start->Right-click Computer->At the top left should be Device Manager->Click on little triangle IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers-> Look for SATA AHCI or AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller (if you see this then it is turned on and working)

Come back and post when you are using your SSD.

fantastik250

Distinguished
Not too sure about a video. But its fairly easy to do a BIOS change in a gigabyte motherboard. Just press Delete when you see the Gigabyte logo when you first turn on your computer. Then go to integrated peripherals or (wherever SATA controllers are) and change all settings to AHCI.

You only use the arrow keys (to move around), Enter (to select options), Esc (to exit menu, F10 to save

Penley54

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
Should I change this for my hdd right now while it is plugged in? Or only with my SSD in? Better yet, what do I need to do before unplugging my hdd and plugging in my SSD?

fantastik250

Distinguished
No, the changes now would require a registry change. As said before, wait for your SSD and follow all the things that was said.

I have also said before, that you only have your SSD plugged and NO other hard drives when installing win 7.

Penley54

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
Okay so just to get this straight :D
1.) Turn off my Computer.
2.) Unplug my HDD and plug in my SSD.
3.) Enter my BIOS and change SATA Controller to AHCI.
4.) Save changes and exit.
5.) Put my Windows 7 Installation disk in.
6.) Install Windows.
7.) Plug HDD back in?

Hopefully that is right :D Oh and when installing my Windows 7, do I select upgrade or custom installation? Also do I type in the same activation number that I did when I first installed Windows 7? Thanks.

fantastik250

Distinguished

I fixed the steps for you. Since you said it was a retail disk (not upgrade), install it normally. And one more thing, in your BIOS, make sure your boot order is from CD ROM. Very easy to find. Then after installation you can change back the boot order to Hard Drive