Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Computer runs for 1 hour then locks up

Last response: in Storage
May 23, 2012 9:15:03 PM

I built my computer just under a year ago: (i'm at work now and don't remember EVERY detail, sorry)
i5-2500k
z64 mobo (not 100% sure on this)
Crucial M4 SATA3 SSD 128gb
Caviar (green?) 1TB HDD
HD 6750 gpu
8GB ram
Windows 7

Has been a monster since I built it, <20 seconds to cold boot to desktop and 100+fps in most games i've tried. Like I'm sure millions of other people did, last week I installed Diablo 3 and have logged more hours than I should have into it. A couple nights ago, my computer froze up - screens not moving but sound continuing for a minute or two before BSOD followed. After blue screen, it tries to auto reboot, but says it can't find a boot device. (why I'm assuming its the SSD to blame...) When I power cycle it, everythings works just fine again - until it doesn't.

Strange thing is, it seems that I have almost exactly 1 hour (+/- a minute at MOST) from the time I boot my computer to the time it will freeze. I've stopwatched it several times. It does not matter what I am doing - D3, internet, just sitting at desktop. I don't think D3 is to blame, but the only thing I've changed in the past 3 months or so is to uninstall SWTOR and install Diablo in its place.

Has anyone seen a problem like this before? Is it indeed the SSD to blame? Is there a fix or should I create an image of the SSD on my HDD or external HDD and proceed down the warranty path (fingers crossed)? Operator error?

Went from Error: 37 to BSOD... not the happiest camper right now. Thanks for the help guys!

a c 114 G Storage
May 23, 2012 9:23:46 PM

Have you googled ya stop error ?

Have you looked at Event Viewer for trouble messages ?

Have you checked GPU / CU temps ?

Have you run Memtest86+

m
l
a c 317 G Storage
May 23, 2012 9:29:13 PM

^ +1 Sounds like heat, but definitely check your ram.
m
l
Related resources
May 23, 2012 9:44:59 PM

I have not been able to record the error since the blue screen only stays up for about 3 seconds or so before it tries to reboot.

Not familiar with Event Viewer, I'll check it out tonight if I have a chance.

I watched the GPU temp while playing D3, it got up around 85C which had me concerned, and made me think it was GPU crash causing error. I left the monitor tool open from then on to observe. Realized I was running Diablo on max settings with the "run as fast as possible" setting enabled. When I limited to 100FPS it made the temp drop into the 60's - should be fine there. Have not monitored CPU temp, but it would be strange that the CPU heated up in the exact same 1 hour doing different things wouldn't it? And why wouldn't it find a boot device when it auto-reboots?
**Also, knowing it was going to freeze, at the last minute 1 time last night I tried to do different things. Opened start menu - it was blank. Opened windows explorer - no files found. Had Ventrilo open and could still talk through it until my screen went black (about 2 minutes after freeze), while nothing else was working.

Have not run Memtest - will do tonight.

Thoroughly confusing my - limited - computer knowledge that it locked up at exactly 1 hour of run time 5 times with less than 1 minute of deviation on my stopwatch.

Thanks for the help guys.
m
l
a c 317 G Storage
May 23, 2012 9:47:34 PM

Diablo 3, huh? I have a totally stable system that has no temperature or other issues and it occasionally crashes instantaneously when running D3 -- looks like a program bug to me.

I would keep my GPU temps under 85 though if for nothing else than lifespan.
m
l
May 23, 2012 9:53:45 PM

Not limited to Diablo 3. I had hoped that was the case because it would be much less frustrating. Does the same thing looking at pictures of cats on imgur :-/

Agreed about temps though. It was a bit of an "oh crap!" moment when I saw that. I apparently need to adjust fan threshold settings, or keep limiting framerate. A can of compressed air would probably do me a favor or two as well - it's been a while since I've been "under the hood".
m
l
May 24, 2012 1:00:24 PM

JackNaylorPE said:
Have you googled ya stop error ?

Have you looked at Event Viewer for trouble messages ?

Have you checked GPU / CU temps ?

Have you run Memtest86+

Event viewer just says "critical error occurred". It does not give a reason or source of the error.

GPU runs on the upper end but is stable at 81-82C under load (fan only spinning at 32% which annoys me - need to figure out how to let it go higher). CPU is never over 50C at max load. Mobo core temp at about 32C. Nothing seems out of place here.

Ran Memtest86+ all night, 9 hours worth. Not a single error. I was really hoping this was it. Interestingly enough when I cancelled the test this morning, the reboot menu no longer had my SSD as an option - like it was no longer connected.

3 times last night it froze up, each time right at the 1 hour mark. I'm now convinced it's exactly 60 minutes after the BIOS posts. I'm also convinced that the problem involves my SSD. Tonight I'm going to check/change power leads from my PSU but I'm guessing that's a long shot.

What could explain my SSD working perfectly for 1 hour and then basically just disappearing and no longer registering in my system? Would hate to replace and warranty only to have the issue occur again due to operator error or misdiagnosis on my part.

m
l

Best solution

May 24, 2012 2:32:18 PM

crepe said:
Event viewer just says "critical error occurred". It does not give a reason or source of the error.

GPU runs on the upper end but is stable at 81-82C under load (fan only spinning at 32% which annoys me - need to figure out how to let it go higher). CPU is never over 50C at max load. Mobo core temp at about 32C. Nothing seems out of place here.

Ran Memtest86+ all night, 9 hours worth. Not a single error. I was really hoping this was it. Interestingly enough when I cancelled the test this morning, the reboot menu no longer had my SSD as an option - like it was no longer connected.

3 times last night it froze up, each time right at the 1 hour mark. I'm now convinced it's exactly 60 minutes after the BIOS posts. I'm also convinced that the problem involves my SSD. Tonight I'm going to check/change power leads from my PSU but I'm guessing that's a long shot.

What could explain my SSD working perfectly for 1 hour and then basically just disappearing and no longer registering in my system? Would hate to replace and warranty only to have the issue occur again due to operator error or misdiagnosis on my part.

This is a known issue with M4 firmware prior to ver 309. It only starts after 5000 hours of ssd use. Check it's firmware version.
May 24, 2012 3:52:26 PM

Robert Persons said:
This is a known issue with M4 firmware prior to ver 309. It only starts after 5000 hours of ssd use. Check it's firmware version.

Is there a fix to this or is the drive now a paperweight? It's really a shame since it has performed incredibly well until now. Even now it still performs great until it decides my time is up. I seriously looked to see if there was some sort of software or program that my wife might have installed to limit my usage after I ignored her Saturday night "movie time" in favor of some gaming time.

Thanks for the help everyone commenting.
m
l
May 25, 2012 4:23:11 PM

Best answer selected by crepe.
m
l
May 25, 2012 4:23:38 PM

fixed! thanks for all of the help. Firmware was indeed the issue. Easy fix and now I feel stupid.
m
l
June 15, 2012 4:57:09 AM

crepe said:
fixed! thanks for all of the help. Firmware was indeed the issue. Easy fix and now I feel stupid.

You are not stupid in any way shape or form. I had the same problem exactly! Your question was my question too! We both got the answer. Thanks for asking and thanks Realbeast for posting a link that allowed me to fix the problem in about 5 minutes!

m
l
November 11, 2012 1:49:08 AM

I've had this problem for over a week and checked everything I could find on the web to check... run MSE, defender, memtest86, defrag, disable MS updates, google/adobe updates, checked task scheduler, network settings, homegroup, graphics board, cables, you name it. The next thing was to do a Windows repair and then a new hard drive.

This worked like a charm, thanks for sharing!!!!
m
l
October 23, 2013 6:54:45 AM

I agree with the solution provided by Robert Parsons. I have a homebuilt with a Crucial M4 128gb SSD. Last week it started to freeze. I ran through many possible solutions but it wasn't until it froze while I had the SpeedFan Charts up on my screen monitoring temperature that I realized it was hanging exactly 1 hour after start-up. (SpeedFan Charts has a Start Time and End Time so End Time was frozen making the time of the problem).

After Googling "PC freezes after an hour" I ran across this and other references.

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD-Know...

I was running Firmware 0002 at the time which fit the problem. I went to the Crucial website, installed their "Updater", went through that process and installed the latest Firmware 070H, on my Win7 machine. After a couple of reboots my machine has been running non-stop for 16 hours without a problem.

Thanks for posting this problem and solution!
m
l
December 31, 2013 9:53:47 PM

Thanks to everyone for all the questions, comments, and answers. I was having the same issue and it is now resolved after updating the version of my firmware.
m
l
!