Your question

Z-5500 and 5.1

Tags:
  • Sound Cards
  • Speakers
  • Components
Last response: in Components
June 24, 2010 10:55:54 PM

I'm trying to get full 5.1 surround sound, but the problem is...when I set it to run full 5.1 in the realtek HD manger window, I only get sound from my Sub and front speakers. I set it back to 24bit studio sound, it plays through all the speakers but the 5.1 sounds simulated. I am using an optical cable for this. I have the latest drivers that came out the other day. When I run the DTS test in my sound manager, i hear it through all the speakers, but as soon as I try to play music, it only does the 2 front speakers and the sub.

If my audio device supports DTS and says it supports Dolby 5.1, shouldn't I just be able to plug in an optical cable and go to town?

More about : 5500

June 24, 2010 11:12:50 PM

Is your music setup to be in 5.1? Generally it is just setup to be in stereo, in which case it will only use the front two speakers and send the low frequencies through the sub, it has no audio data for the remaining 3 speakers. Try a movie that supports surround sound.
m
l
June 24, 2010 11:24:18 PM

ya, it works with a movie, i'm a noob when it comes to this crap lol. I guess I have to run Sim. surround when i play music?
m
l
Related resources
June 24, 2010 11:29:22 PM

Most games should be able to exploit the surround sound, they tend to have more dynamically generated audio tracks, movies and music have specific audio tracks for each channel and if it doesnt have the channel it wont send audio to it.
m
l
June 24, 2010 11:31:28 PM

Thanks for the help man. I REALLY appreciate it!
m
l
June 25, 2010 9:09:23 AM

theduddler said:
ya, it works with a movie, i'm a noob when it comes to this crap lol. I guess I have to run Sim. surround when i play music?

You do unless you have surround sound music. There aren't that many. Steely Dan and Hotel California by the Eagles and a few others. Everything else is on SACD (which you can't play on the PC).
m
l
June 25, 2010 12:10:57 PM

Most music is still mastered in 2.0. You could have a 24 speaker setup, but if the music is only 2.0, you'll only get music out of two speakers (unless you use something like Pro Logic to upmix at least).
m
l
!