Sign in with
Your question

Odd admount of memory

Last response: in Memory
December 28, 2010 12:21:17 AM

I'm upgrading to Windows7,going with a 1366 mobo and a i7 950 CPU. Here's where the problem starts. I already have 3gigs of Corsair Dominator 1866(3x1gb) sticks. I want to use at least 4 gigs of memory, to use the 64-bit version. I'm one gig short and the only sticks I can find come in pairs or tripps. Say I get 2 dimms of 2x2Gbs ram. Can this work,and if it will, how will I place the sticks. I will be leaving a slot empty this way. This will be the cheapest way to go.
The other way would be to get 3x2Gbs and end up with a total of 9 gigs om memory, can that work?
I'm not very knolageable with any of this so please overlook the shortcommings of how I'm approaching this question.

18r
StanO

More about : odd admount memory

a c 128 } Memory
December 28, 2010 5:05:48 PM

You have to read your motherboard manual. It lists possible ram configurations. I suggest another 3 matching sticks to go with your first three only if you are running windows 7 64 bit. Ram is cheap right now. Another 3x2gb of 1600 will set you back about $80 after rebates (usa pricing). Then run it at the slower speed. You won't notice the difference.
m
l
!