Sign in with
Your question

MSI 785GT-E63

Last response: in Motherboards
December 28, 2010 2:05:05 AM

Hello,

I'll start by saying that I by no means claim to be an expert on the subject of hardware. I've upgraded PCs, built the one I'm typing on, and I thought I'd be a good child and hook my parents up with a nicer rig for Christmas. Something that they could use to play Freecell, look at Facebook, and stream the occasional video to their television. No such luck. I'm pretty sure my problem lies in the motherboard (MSI 785GT-E63) or the CPU (AMD Phenom II X2 555 BE). These two things should, per all my research, be compatible, and in fact everything is working beautifully except the CPU is sucking up ~1.6 volts and running at 60C at minimal load. It's also being identified as a quad-core "engineering sample."

My initial thought was that I'd just been sent the wrong processor. I RMA'd it, got a new one, and still had exactly the same problem. I just got a replacement motherboard: same thing. Turn it on, enter BIOS, and watch the core temp jump to 60 in a matter of seconds. I've read the manual, fiddled with all kinds of settings, but what I haven't been able to do is manually change the voltage going to the CPU, something that I believe should be an option with this mobo/chipset.

I thought it would be an easy fix, so I haven't kept a record of exactly what I've done. I'm not on the computer right now, so I don't have exact specs to provide. BIOS and drivers are updated, but I feel like this has to have something to do with my having the wrong driver for something. I'm convinced that I'm committing some kind of hardware-related idiocy and that someone reading this wants to hit me upside the head. Well, go ahead ... verbally.

More about : msi 785gt e63

a b V Motherboard
December 28, 2010 3:12:42 AM

Go in the BIOS and manually set the voltage to 1.25V. Check the temperatures and come back to us.

After that you can try unlocking the cores and make it a quad but first you need to fix the temp issue.

m
l
December 28, 2010 11:55:40 AM

mosox said:
Go in the BIOS and manually set the voltage to 1.25V. Check the temperatures and come back to us.

After that you can try unlocking the cores and make it a quad but first you need to fix the temp issue.

I'm not able to manually change the voltage, unfortunately. The option is grayed-out. This has been the case for both mobos.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 28, 2010 12:39:09 PM

Highlight the option and hit the - (minus) key on the numeric pad on the right of your keyboard until you reach 1.25V. Then save and exit the BIOS.
m
l
!