Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Best And Cheapest Quad Cpu ??

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 25, 2010 10:31:47 AM

Hi guys ! I want to buy a good quad cpu at cheaper price !

My specs are

Intel core 2 duo 2.8ghz

Ati hd5770 1gb ram

3 gb ddr2 ram

Any help is greatly appreciated !

More about : cheapest quad cpu

a b à CPUs
March 25, 2010 11:11:16 AM

Q6600 is a good price/perf intel q-core.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 25, 2010 11:19:42 AM

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/prods/Components/Pro...

It only has 4MB of cache and is terrible at overclocking, but it is a quad core and it is cheap.

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Intel-Core-2-Quad-Q9400-...

Thats a better CPU although some what more expensive.

I wouldn't spend anymore than that on 775 technology

If your looking to spend more then go for a Ci5/i7 setup, but you'd need new RAM and a new motherboard.

BTW like i said in your other thread, make sure your BIOS can support a quad, the quads I've listed are 45NM so you may need a BIOS update.
m
l
Related resources
March 25, 2010 11:25:37 AM

Rustyy117 said:
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/prods/Components/Pro...

It only has 4MB of cache and is terrible at overclocking, but it is a quad core and it is cheap.

Yuck! That's why I would go with the newer i7 quad cores or go AMD Phenom II. The Phenoms are great and they are cheaper and you can still get great performance out of them. The Phenom IIs have 3 caches. If you can find it, the Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition is great. It's multiplier is unlocked, it's level 3 cache is 6mb across all three cores and it just runs great. Like I said in the GTA IV thread, I'm getting over 45 fps with my Phenom II X3 720 and my HD 5750. However, I was getting that with my HD 3870 with the Phenom II, which goes to show how much this game depends on your CPU.

Sticking with the 775 technology will gain you some performance, but if you really want to play GTA IV, you really need to upgrade to more recent hardware, which would require a motherboard, CPU and memory overhaul.

In my case, my previous system was an AMD64 X2 4200+ Socket 939, PC3200 memory (DDR1) and my HD 3870 video card. For $250, I upgraded to a AM2+ motherboard, Phenom II X3 720 BE (AM3 socket which fits on AMD2+ sockets) and 4 gigs of DDR2-800 memroy. For another $139, I then upgraded my video card to an HD 5750.

m
l
a b à CPUs
March 25, 2010 11:36:17 AM

isamuelson said:
Yuck! That's why I would go with the newer i7 quad cores or go AMD Phenom II. The Phenoms are great and they are cheaper and you can still get great performance out of them. The Phenom IIs have 3 caches. If you can find it, the Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition is great. It's multiplier is unlocked, it's level 3 cache is 6mb across all three cores and it just runs great. Like I said in the GTA IV thread, I'm getting over 45 fps with my Phenom II X3 720 and my HD 5750. However, I was getting that with my HD 3870 with the Phenom II, which goes to show how much this game depends on your CPU.

Sticking with the 775 technology will gain you some performance, but if you really want to play GTA IV, you really need to upgrade to more recent hardware, which would require a motherboard, CPU and memory overhaul.

In my case, my previous system was an AMD64 X2 4200+ Socket 939, PC3200 memory (DDR1) and my HD 3870 video card. For $250, I upgraded to a AM2+ motherboard, Phenom II X3 720 BE (AM3 socket which fits on AMD2+ sockets) and 4 gigs of DDR2-800 memroy. For another $139, I then upgraded my video card to an HD 5750.

Yes it isnt a great quad, but the OP is looking for a cheap quad core.

An AMD would be great for price/performance, but the OP would have to buy a new motherboard.

Maybe the OP should save up?
m
l
March 25, 2010 11:40:11 AM

Rustyy117 said:
Yes it isnt a great quad, but the OP is looking for a cheap quad core.

An AMD would be great for price/performance, but the OP would have to buy a new motherboard.

Maybe the OP should save up?

Correct. However, in another thread where this all started, he wanted to get his frame rates up in GTA IV as well as being able to play it with full details. I don't know if an old Core 2 Duo Quad would give him the performance he's looking for? I haven't ran Intel in over 10 years.

With AMD, he could get a pretty killer system for cheaper that would give him the performance he seeks for GTA IV. Plus, he would be set for a while. Otherwise, he's just throwing money at a CPU that is pretty much dead anyways. Not sure if he can even get that retail. I know with the AMD I had previously (socket 939), you can't get those anywhere except on eBay now and many are REALLY expensive (over $200!) [:isamuelson:3]

m
l
a b à CPUs
March 25, 2010 12:21:10 PM

isamuelson said:
Correct. However, in another thread where this all started, he wanted to get his frame rates up in GTA IV as well as being able to play it with full details. I don't know if an old Core 2 Duo Quad would give him the performance he's looking for? I haven't ran Intel in over 10 years.

With AMD, he could get a pretty killer system for cheaper that would give him the performance he seeks for GTA IV. Plus, he would be set for a while. Otherwise, he's just throwing money at a CPU that is pretty much dead anyways. Not sure if he can even get that retail. I know with the AMD I had previously (socket 939), you can't get those anywhere except on eBay now and many are REALLY expensive (over $200!) [:isamuelson:3]

I'm sure even that cheap quad i linked to will be enough.

He could not get a killer AMD setup for cheaper as he would need a new motherboard, However if he was starting from scratch then yes an AMD setup would be better bang for buck.

The OP has to make a choice.

Go with dead technology (A 775 quadcore) Cheaper option and will provide good performance, but no upgrade path.

Save up for a Core i7 or AMD AM3 setup, Will cost more, but more future proof and better performance.

Personaly I'd save up.
m
l
March 25, 2010 12:32:19 PM

ok So you guys are telling to go for amd rather than intel ?
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 25, 2010 12:36:39 PM

What I'm saying is an AMD setup is better bang for buck, if your on a tight budget and you maily just play games AMD is the way to go.

Really depends on your budget.
m
l
March 25, 2010 12:37:07 PM

I have the Intel core 2 duo warranty ! Will they exchange it with a quad cpu ? but the core 2 duo is working fine !
m
l

Best solution

March 25, 2010 12:47:46 PM

James, you're just going to have to spend money on this. There's no way around it. Also, as omgitzfatal stated, AMD is a good budget way to go if you mainly just want to play games. Although, my AMD works great as a programming platform as well as just doing everyday work.

If you take the time and look around, you can find excellent deals. For example, currently at Microcenter, you can get great deals on AMD products. Currently, they are selling many Phenom II X4s for $99. If you purchase the CPU along with an AMD motherboard, they are giving you a $30 discount on any motherboard that works with your AMD CPU you purchased. Two weeks ago when I upgraded my system, they were giving $20 discounts. I should have waited!

In any case, look around online (such as Newegg, Tigerdirect, etc) as well as Microcenter (I think you can order online from them and have it shipped, but I don't know as I usually just go to the store to get it) and I'm sure you'll be able to upgrade cheaply.

As I stated, I upgraded my motherboard, CPU and memory (4 gigs) for $250 after tax. Normally, it would have been more than that at full retail prices, so I got a bargain.

Going with the newer stuff will allow your system to last longer and play the latest games as well as many future games. Trying to stay with the older technology you have won't really be worth the upgrade and you probably won't see the performance increase you want, so it would be just a waste of money.

For example, on my old socket 939 system, I was looking to upgrade my AMD64 X2 4200+. I couldn't find any socket 939 higher than 4800+ which really wouldn't have been worth the $200+ price they are currently going for on eBay. So, for $50 more, I was able to upgrade to the more recent AMD CPUs, motherboard and memory which gives me a much better upgrade path for faster CPUs and memory.

You just have to go and explore and look around. It took me about a week to gather all this information and then decide which was the best route to go.

March 25, 2010 12:50:46 PM

Ok ! I will spend some money To build a gaming rig !
m
l
March 25, 2010 12:52:04 PM

Best answer selected by james124.
m
l
!