Can I Purchase the AMD FX Stock Cooler?

haziz

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
I have both the AMD FX8350 processor and AMD A10 5800K processors installed in 2 different systems; while I am relatively impressed with the AMD stock cooler for the FX processor, the CPU cooler for the A10 is however disappointing; and this is made worse by the slim and relatively poorly ventilated case the A10 is in. I do not have the clearance for most aftermarket coolers in that case and also do not wish to tackle the extra hassle of custom install hardware (I want to use the stock AMD backplate and clips). Is it possible to purchase the stock AMD FX cooler, since I know it will fit on the FM2 motherboard? I will be running the CPU at it's stock speed and will not overclock.

Thanks.

haziz

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013

I did think of ebay but may prefer a more "conventional" source. Actually the cooler you link to looks quite similar to the A10 cooler that I find inadequate. The AMD FX8350 stock cooler is a more elaborate affair with 4 copper heatpipes and a more substantial fan. While I have not done any side by side testing, it seems as substantial as many of the commercial lower profile coolers.

jerry6

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009

That seems to be an older opteron or athlon /phenom fan on that cooler , I have about 20 AMD coolers collecting dust and in this pic the FX /PII X6 fan is on left older opteron/athlon phenom fan on right , the older fans are better imo , a lot less noise and cool as well or better
Picture15.jpg

jerry6

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009

Then you are lucky , of the 20 new FX cpu builds I've put together all have the stubby 7 blade fans on the cooler , hell even the x6 PII had the stubby 7 blade fans . I switched out about 5 for the 9 blade fans because they are a bit quieter , and I think cool better . The cooler you show is defiantly the FX cooler you can tell by the tabs at the corners . Strange how I always got the stubby 7 blade fans .

jerry6

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009

here is a shot of base , new cooler looks smaller than the old opteron x2 cooler , will have to go through the box an measure , but older cooler looks bigger , it's on the right , FX 8350 cooler on the left
Picture16.jpg

tyler539

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
You could find the stock cooler on Ebay new/used, OR you could go on Newegg, Tiger Direct, ect, and buy a cheap aftermarket heatsink (unless you REALLY needed the original!) This would do FAR better cooling! I'm currently using this with an AMD FX-6100 to keep it cool at an overclocked 4.1GHz:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103064
Again, for $15, you can't go wrong, and I am currently using this.....unless, of course, if you are sincerely looking for the original!