1. How to you enable Trim on my Samsung 830 SSD, I know you have to have a compatible OS and SSD, which I have. I also read that the you need the chipset and storage drivers installed. The thing that baffles me about Trim is that you need your port AHCI mode. Well, that doesn't baffle me, but the process confuses me. I can't change my drive to AHCI mode because, apparently, I have a Marvell PCIe adapter and I don't know to change that. Any help would be appreciated.
2. How do you install Intel RST drivers? I have tried using device manager, but it only allows me to select the folder the driver is in. That is all.
FYI, I have an Intel Core i7 960 on a Asus Sabertooth X58 mobo.
You need to enter the bios and switch the drive controller over to AHCI. This normally needs done before installing your OS. If it's already set to AHCI, then all you need is the newest RST
First you should install the newest RST, then follow these steps to switch from IDE to AHCI.
You start with step 1 while you are still in windows in IDE mode.
1) Run the Registry Editor (regedit.exe)
2) Navigate to Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci
3) Set the "Start" value to 0 (zero)
4) Navigate to Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Pciide
5) Set the "Start" value to 0 (zero)
6) Shut down
7) Start up again, but before Windows boots go into the BIOS configuration screens and change the disk mode to "AHCI". Save the new BIOS configuration and restart so that Windows boots.
When Windows starts, it will detect the change, load new disk drivers, and do one more reboot to start up with them.
You can get RST here. get the full executable, not the F6 disk version.