ASUS Motherboard Choices

flong

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
Hello Everyone,

I am going to build my first computer and I have decided that I will get an ASUS motherboard. My choices are:

1. The Micro ATX Rampage III Genie
2. The P6X58D premium (Newegg customer choice winner)
3. The Rampage III Formula

It is difficult for a new computer builder to sort out the differences between these boards. I need a high quality general use board - I am not a heavy gamer.

Also, should I buy the ASUS P658D Premium because it is next generation 6-core ready? The cost difference between the boards is negligible.

It appears that the Genie and the Formula have better built-in sound cards than the Premium (P6X58D).

Can someone who has a lot of experience with these different boards offer some advice?

Thanks

Hello and welcome to the forums :)
All of the boards mentioned support the same CPU(may require a new BIOS update for 6-core CPUs).
Unless you need the extra features such as built-in sound card and slightly better OC'ng potential,go with P6X58D Premium or P6X58D-E which offers pretty much the same features and is cheaper too

flong

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
Thanks, I have read a review of the P6858D-E and it actually is probably the better choice over the Premium (I don't plan to OC the board). I do want the best sound available from the board as I do not want to immediately buy a separate sound card. Is the separate sound card feature in the Rampage models better than the P6858D-E?

automan_1954

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009

iT'S HARD FOR SOMEONE TO TELL YOU IF ONE MOTHERBOARD IS BETTER THEN AN OTHER. iT ALL DEPENDS ON WHAT YOU NEED AND WHAT YOU WILL BE DOING WITH YOUR COMPUTER. tHERE ARE MANY SITE ON THE NET, LOOK AROUND, SEE WHATS OUT THERE AND PICK THE BOARD THAT HAS THE OPTIONS YOU NEED OR WANT.

flong

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
Hi, thank you everyone that responded. I have tentatively decided on the ASUS Formula because of the built-in sound card and the reputed quality of the board. While I know that it may be $50 -$100 overkill in cost for my needs, it should save me the cost of a separate sound card while providing a user friendly interface for a self-build.

TRENDING THREADS