Dual to Quad Core: Should I switch to the i5 750?

Absolute Zero

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
Hi there. I’m a newbie so please pardon the uninformed inquiry.

I recently bought a brand new i5-750 processor from a friend at less than half its current market price (I simply could not resist the bargain, especially since the warranty is still fully valid). I am now wondering whether I should sell it for a fair profit or install it on my PC.

My current set-up consists of the following primary components:

Intel Core i5 650 @ 3.2 GHz
Intel H55 motherboard
Nvidia GTX 470
CMaster Silent Pro 700W PSU
Cooler Master Elite 335 chassis
Samsung SynchMaster 22”
Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit), 6 GB DDR3 RAM

I should mention that, should I decide to install the i5 750, I do not plan to overclock. I play games in the Call of Duty series mostly. My current system can yank out a solid 90 to 120 FPS from Modern Warfare 2 with all the in-game texture and resolution settings at maximum, 4X AA (application- controlled) and 2X super-sampling (GPU-controlled). Save for a few spots of hitching here and there, overall game play is smooth and satisfactory.

Can I expect a reasonable increase in performance if and when I do decide to let go of my dual core i5 650 and install the quad i5 750? Is the hyperthreading capability of the i5-650 something to consider in gaming? I don't mind spending on a new mobo for the 750, but I've not come across any definitive literature comparing the perfromace of the two processors in 3D games at stock speeds.

Thanks in advance for your inputs and advice.

Solution
Since more games are becoming threaded, I would probably just use the i5 750 in your build. The board supports the CPU, you just can't use the integrated graphics outputs on the back of the board, since the 750 doesn't have the GPU in it like the 650. Hyperthreading does not make up for an actual core, so even a game with 3 threads would make the 750 superior to the 650.

Here's an article from Tom's about the two.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-clarkdale-core-i5-661,2514-8.html

Besides, the 650 sells for almost the same price as the 750 at newegg, you could probably just sell your 650 to make up for the i5 purchase :p .

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Since more games are becoming threaded, I would probably just use the i5 750 in your build. The board supports the CPU, you just can't use the integrated graphics outputs on the back of the board, since the 750 doesn't have the GPU in it like the 650. Hyperthreading does not make up for an actual core, so even a game with 3 threads would make the 750 superior to the 650.

Here's an article from Tom's about the two.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-clarkdale-core-i5-661,2514-8.html

Besides, the 650 sells for almost the same price as the 750 at newegg, you could probably just sell your 650 to make up for the i5 purchase :p .

Solution

Absolute Zero

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010

Thank you for the the swift replyI Good idea, selling the 650. I can probably get a good price for it since it's a fairly recent purchase.

So the H55 mobo will support an i5 750? Good, then. I'll probably get a good P55 board in a month or two -- or sooner if I can manage an adequate price from the sale of my 650.

Thank you very much.

Absolute Zero

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
Hi guys.

Sorry for the late reply. Way too much work for me lately.

Anyways, to both of you, thanks very much. I went ahead and got the i5 750 and am very pleased, indeed. I've not replaced my motherboard, as per your advice.

Thanks a lot!