Compaq Presario 2135 - removing HDD?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
September 18, 2004 8:30:52 AM

I have a Compaq presario 2135US whose hard drive is on
life support so I'm going to get a new one.

My problem is that I know where the HDD cover is but I can't figure
out
how to open it. The only screws open up the RAM access and the HDD is
above that. It looks like there should be a way to slide the HDD out
the front
but I don't want to start prying at this hatch and bugger everything.

I tried to download the manual that they supply in .pdf but the page
won't load:

http://tinyurl.com/378ek

Very frustrating. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

HP Support also gave me this url and mentioned that I might have to
copy and paste the second line which I did but it still resulted in a
blank screen.
If I could just get the .pdf I'd be able to figure it out but when I
asked them
if they could e-mail it to me in an attachment they kindly told me to
order a
printed copy from their store. Sheesh.

Anyway, TIA,
Joan.

This was another URL which needed a copy & paste to join up -
did that but same result. Maybe some kind soul could
upload it to the group for me.
http://h200006.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/UCR/SupportM...

002_rev3_us/TPM_319733-002_rev3_us.pdf
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 18, 2004 5:54:07 PM

I opened mine a few weeks ago. I had to take off the whole bottom. There is
a somewhat hidden screw that you can find by gently pulling it open and
finding where it sticks. I thought my hd was bad, turns out the connector
was dislodged from the mainboard.
"Gerbil" <gerbil@outofit.net> wrote in message
>I have a Compaq presario 2135US whose hard drive is on
> life support so I'm going to get a new one.
>

> My problem is that I know where the HDD cover is but I can't figure
> out
> how to open it. The only screws open up the RAM access and the HDD is
> above that. It looks like there should be a way to slide the HDD out
> the front
> but I don't want to start prying at this hatch and bugger everything.
>

> I tried to download the manual that they supply in .pdf but the page
> won't load:
>

> http://tinyurl.com/378ek
>

> Very frustrating. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
>

> HP Support also gave me this url and mentioned that I might have to
> copy and paste the second line which I did but it still resulted in a
> blank screen.
> If I could just get the .pdf I'd be able to figure it out but when I
> asked them
> if they could e-mail it to me in an attachment they kindly told me to
> order a
> printed copy from their store. Sheesh.
>

> Anyway, TIA,
> Joan.
>
> This was another URL which needed a copy & paste to join up -
> did that but same result. Maybe some kind soul could
> upload it to the group for me.
> http://h200006.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/UCR/SupportM...
>
> 002_rev3_us/TPM_319733-002_rev3_us.pdf

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 20, 2004 5:03:45 PM

Theres 2 rubber plugs and 2 screws holding the harddrive and caddy in
directly below the power and hard drive LED's on the front of the
laptop. Then it just slides out. (make sure battery is out and power
is unplugged) Nothing protecting the drive from contacting the batt
circuit on Motherboard..
September 21, 2004 8:29:40 PM

Thanks much; The HD is arriving tomorrow and I was just
setting up to take the whole back off when I read your post.

!