wireless network adapter

Hi. I just built a new PC and installed Win XP SP2. The computers in our
house are all on a wireless network - Linksys 4 port router and WUSB11 V2.6
adapters. On the new computer, I have to do a repair nearly everytime I boot
up to connect to the network. This doen't happen on the PCs with 98SE or XP
SP1, but I don't know if SP2 is the culprit for certain. I have tried to
install a new driver for the adapter, but have been unable to do so. If I
uninstall the old one in device manager, then reboot, then reconnect the
adapter, it keeps finding the old driver and installing it. I have the new
driver in a file on my harddrive, but if I try to just do an "update" from
Device Manager, when I select the folder with the new driver, I get a message
that a better driver can't be found. Also, I've uninstalled the adapter 3
times, so now the connection is called "3", even though in device manager
there is only one displayed.

Any suggestions for me!?

Thanks a lot,
Gary.
8 answers Last reply
More about wireless network adapter

    "grbenny" <grbenny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Hi. I just built a new PC and installed Win XP SP2. The computers in our
    >house are all on a wireless network - Linksys 4 port router and WUSB11 V2.6
    >adapters. On the new computer, I have to do a repair nearly everytime I boot
    >up to connect to the network. This doen't happen on the PCs with 98SE or XP
    >SP1, but I don't know if SP2 is the culprit for certain. I have tried to
    >install a new driver for the adapter, but have been unable to do so. If I
    >uninstall the old one in device manager, then reboot, then reconnect the
    >adapter, it keeps finding the old driver and installing it. I have the new
    >driver in a file on my harddrive, but if I try to just do an "update" from
    >Device Manager, when I select the folder with the new driver, I get a message
    >that a better driver can't be found. Also, I've uninstalled the adapter 3
    >times, so now the connection is called "3", even though in device manager
    >there is only one displayed.

    I would start over: In the Control Panel > System > Advanced >
    Environment variables add a new system variable
    devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices
    and set this to "1".
    Open the Device Manager and click View > Show hidden devices. Remove
    all instances of the network adapters. Restart Windows and reinstall
    the drivers for the network devices. Run the Network Setup Wizard and
    create a new network connection.

    --
    (tm)

    "Thorsten Matzner" wrote:

    > "grbenny" <grbenny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Hi. I just built a new PC and installed Win XP SP2. The computers in our
    > >house are all on a wireless network - Linksys 4 port router and WUSB11 V2.6
    > >adapters. On the new computer, I have to do a repair nearly everytime I boot
    > >up to connect to the network. This doen't happen on the PCs with 98SE or XP
    > >SP1, but I don't know if SP2 is the culprit for certain. I have tried to
    > >install a new driver for the adapter, but have been unable to do so. If I
    > >uninstall the old one in device manager, then reboot, then reconnect the
    > >adapter, it keeps finding the old driver and installing it. I have the new
    > >driver in a file on my harddrive, but if I try to just do an "update" from
    > >Device Manager, when I select the folder with the new driver, I get a message
    > >that a better driver can't be found. Also, I've uninstalled the adapter 3
    > >times, so now the connection is called "3", even though in device manager
    > >there is only one displayed.
    > >

    > I would start over: In the Control Panel > System > Advanced >
    > Environment variables add a new system variable
    > devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices
    > and set this to "1".
    > Open the Device Manager and click View > Show hidden devices. Remove
    > all instances of the network adapters. Restart Windows and reinstall
    > the drivers for the network devices. Run the Network Setup Wizard and
    > create a new network connection.
    > --
    > (tm)

    Hi Thorsten,
    Thanks a lot for the help. I followed your instructions, and ended up with
    the same results. After I entered the new Variable, Device Manager (show
    hidden devices) displays just two lines that refer to "network adapter":
    "Instant Wireless USB Network Adapter ver2.6", and "Instant Wireless USB
    Network Adapter ver2.6 - packet Scheduler miniport". When I uninstall the
    first one, they both are removed from the list.

    According to Linksys, with XP you have to attach the adapter before you
    install the driver. So I detach the adapter, reboot, then reattach the
    adapter. When I do that, the driver is reinsalled automatically, and the old
    one is the the one that is reinstalled - no option is given to select a
    driver.

    I know I must be missing something basic. After all this, Windows is still
    requiring a "repair" each time I boot to connect to the network, and I'm not
    on "Wireless Network Connection 5".

    More advice? :-)
    Gary

    "grbenny" <grbenny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >According to Linksys, with XP you have to attach the adapter before you
    >install the driver. So I detach the adapter, reboot, then reattach the
    >adapter. When I do that, the driver is reinsalled automatically, and the old
    >one is the the one that is reinstalled - no option is given to select a
    >driver.

    Start the installation of the new driver from the CD after the device
    has been installed by Windows. This should overwrite the old driver.

    --
    (tm)

    Dont run the network setup wizard. Run the wireless network wizard....

    "Thorsten Matzner" <tmatzner@gmx.net> wrote in message
    > "grbenny" <grbenny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi. I just built a new PC and installed Win XP SP2. The computers in our
    >>house are all on a wireless network - Linksys 4 port router and WUSB11
    >>V2.6
    >>adapters. On the new computer, I have to do a repair nearly everytime I
    >>boot
    >>up to connect to the network. This doen't happen on the PCs with 98SE or
    >>XP
    >>SP1, but I don't know if SP2 is the culprit for certain. I have tried to
    >>install a new driver for the adapter, but have been unable to do so. If I
    >>uninstall the old one in device manager, then reboot, then reconnect the
    >>adapter, it keeps finding the old driver and installing it. I have the
    >>new
    >>driver in a file on my harddrive, but if I try to just do an "update" from
    >>Device Manager, when I select the folder with the new driver, I get a
    >>message
    >>that a better driver can't be found. Also, I've uninstalled the adapter 3
    >>times, so now the connection is called "3", even though in device manager
    >>there is only one displayed.
    >>

    > I would start over: In the Control Panel > System > Advanced >
    > Environment variables add a new system variable
    > devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices
    > and set this to "1".
    > Open the Device Manager and click View > Show hidden devices. Remove
    > all instances of the network adapters. Restart Windows and reinstall
    > the drivers for the network devices. Run the Network Setup Wizard and
    > create a new network connection.
    >
    > --
    > (tm)

    Are you using the linksys utility to configure this adapter or windows. In
    SP2 wireless adapters work better, if at all, when windows is used to
    configure the connection and not use the Linksys utility.

    "grbenny" <grbenny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> [...]
    > hidden devices) displays just two lines that refer to "network adapter":
    > "Instant Wireless USB Network Adapter ver2.6", and "Instant Wireless USB
    > Network Adapter ver2.6 - packet Scheduler miniport". When I uninstall the
    > first one, they both are removed from the list.
    >
    > According to Linksys, with XP you have to attach the adapter before you
    > install the driver. So I detach the adapter, reboot, then reattach the
    > adapter. When I do that, the driver is reinsalled automatically, and the
    > old
    > one is the the one that is reinstalled - no option is given to select a
    > driver.
    >
    > I know I must be missing something basic. After all this, Windows is
    > still
    > requiring a "repair" each time I boot to connect to the network, and I'm

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    "Robert Jacobs" wrote:

    > Dont run the network setup wizard. Run the wireless network wizard....
    >
    > "Thorsten Matzner" <tmatzner@gmx.net> wrote in message
    > > "grbenny" <grbenny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    > >
    > >>Hi. I just built a new PC and installed Win XP SP2. The computers in our
    > >>house are all on a wireless network - Linksys 4 port router and WUSB11
    > >>V2.6
    > >>adapters. On the new computer, I have to do a repair nearly everytime I
    > >>boot
    > >>up to connect to the network. This doen't happen on the PCs with 98SE or
    > >>XP
    > >>SP1, but I don't know if SP2 is the culprit for certain. I have tried to
    > >>install a new driver for the adapter, but have been unable to do so. If I
    > >>uninstall the old one in device manager, then reboot, then reconnect the
    > >>adapter, it keeps finding the old driver and installing it. I have the
    > >>new
    > >>driver in a file on my harddrive, but if I try to just do an "update" from
    > >>Device Manager, when I select the folder with the new driver, I get a
    > >>message
    > >>that a better driver can't be found. Also, I've uninstalled the adapter 3
    > >>times, so now the connection is called "3", even though in device manager
    > >>there is only one displayed.
    > >>

    > > I would start over: In the Control Panel > System > Advanced >
    > > Environment variables add a new system variable
    > > devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices
    > > and set this to "1".
    > > Open the Device Manager and click View > Show hidden devices. Remove
    > > all instances of the network adapters. Restart Windows and reinstall
    > > the drivers for the network devices. Run the Network Setup Wizard and
    > > create a new network connection.

    Wow! Did this site suddenly come back online after being down for over a
    month? I've been trying to get back into this thread and today I got a reply
    that was posted over a month ago. Looks like this one is brand new though.

    Anyhow, we are still having the same problem. I have tried the original
    driver that came with the Linksys adapter, and a new updated one. They both
    give the same results. Don't remember at this point which wizard I ran.
    It's very strange though. A few times it has connected automatically as
    expected, but most times I have to do a repair to get it to connect. The
    repair always works though. Do you think maybe I need to specify the address
    of that PC?
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    > "Robert Jacobs" wrote:
    >
    >> Dont run the network setup wizard. Run the wireless network wizard....
    >>
    >> "Thorsten Matzner" <tmatzner@gmx.net> wrote in message

    >> > I would start over: In the Control Panel > System > Advanced >
    >> > Environment variables add a new system variable
    >> > devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices
    >> > and set this to "1".
    >> > Open the Device Manager and click View > Show hidden devices. Remove
    >> > all instances of the network adapters. Restart Windows and reinstall
    >> > the drivers for the network devices. Run the Network Setup Wizard and
    >> > create a new network connection.
    >
    > Wow! Did this site suddenly come back online after being down for over a
    > month? I've been trying to get back into this thread and today I got a
    > reply
    > that was posted over a month ago. Looks like this one is brand new
    > though.
    >
    > Anyhow, we are still having the same problem. I have tried the original
    > driver that came with the Linksys adapter, and a new updated one. They
    > both
    > give the same results. Don't remember at this point which wizard I ran.
    > It's very strange though. A few times it has connected automatically as
    > expected, but most times I have to do a repair to get it to connect. The
    > repair always works though. Do you think maybe I need to specify the
    > address
    > of that PC?
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    "Robert Jacobs" wrote:

    > Are you using the linksys utility to configure this adapter or windows. In
    > SP2 wireless adapters work better, if at all, when windows is used to
    > configure the connection and not use the Linksys utility.

    I believe I used the Linksys utility. Is there a way to tell after the fact
    which was used?

    > "grbenny" <grbenny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >

    > > "Robert Jacobs" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Dont run the network setup wizard. Run the wireless network wizard....
    > >>
    > >> "Thorsten Matzner" <tmatzner@gmx.net> wrote in message

    > > Wow! Did this site suddenly come back online after being down for over a
    > > month? I've been trying to get back into this thread and today I got a
    > > reply
    > > that was posted over a month ago. Looks like this one is brand new
    > > though.
    > >
    > > Anyhow, we are still having the same problem. I have tried the original
    > > driver that came with the Linksys adapter, and a new updated one. They
    > > both
    > > give the same results. Don't remember at this point which wizard I ran.
    > > It's very strange though. A few times it has connected automatically as
    > > expected, but most times I have to do a repair to get it to connect. The
    > > repair always works though. Do you think maybe I need to specify the
    > > address
    > > of that PC?

Configuration Wireless Network Windows XP