Closed Solved

Windows 7 Media Center - mkv files?

I used to stream videos from my desktop to my PS3, which often required converting files such as mkv videos. I now use my TV as my computer monitor so lately I have been just watching my videos in Windows Media Player. I have been looking into getting a remote and receiver to make watching videos even easier, but they all seem to say they are optimized to work best with Windows Media Center.

So, I added my files to Windows Media Center, and they all show up in the library when I try to play mkv files it says that the file was not found. As I said, mkv files play perfectly fine in Windows Media Player.

How can I get my videos to play right in Windows Media Center, or is there a better way to set this up? I am using Windows 7 Professional x64.
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about windows media center files
  1. If you have a wireless network and an Android phone I'd recommend using VLC and downloading an app called GMote.
    Lets you use your phone as a remote on your PC. VLC is able to play pretty much every video file format too.
  2. Thanks, I don't have an Android phone now but I am going to upgrade in December to either the Galaxy S2 or the Galaxy Nexus.

For now though I still plan to get a remote (or possibly even a TV tuner with remote since those aren't TOO much more expensive than just remotes).
  3. I think the best way is to just get one wireless keyboard that are made to be used with HTPCs. I think that's the easiest way to set it up to play videos.

I also second the idea of using VLC. In my opinion it is by far the best video player and has the most logical and versatile layout.
  4. dowload matroska codec
  5. The codec is installed, and mkv files play fine in WMP just not WMC.
  6. Best answer
    see the news on the link could resolve the mkv reading http://cybernetnews.com/play-mkv-files-in-windows-7/
  7. scout_03 said:
    see the news on the link could resolve the mkv reading http://cybernetnews.com/play-mkv-files-in-windows-7/

I will try that when I get off work, but as mkv files already play in WMP and Media Player Classic, I do not have high hopes for this fix. I will post my results after I try it.
  8. Best answer selected by chmcke01.
  9. IT WORKED! Thanks!
  10. This topic has been closed by Nikorr.
Ask a new question

Read More

MKV Media Center Video Windows 7