Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Windows 7 Media Center - mkv files?

Last response: in Windows 7
October 25, 2011 3:24:36 AM

I used to stream videos from my desktop to my PS3, which often required converting files such as mkv videos. I now use my TV as my computer monitor so lately I have been just watching my videos in Windows Media Player. I have been looking into getting a remote and receiver to make watching videos even easier, but they all seem to say they are optimized to work best with Windows Media Center.

So, I added my files to Windows Media Center, and they all show up in the library when I try to play mkv files it says that the file was not found. As I said, mkv files play perfectly fine in Windows Media Player.

How can I get my videos to play right in Windows Media Center, or is there a better way to set this up? I am using Windows 7 Professional x64.
October 25, 2011 4:06:05 AM

If you have a wireless network and an Android phone I'd recommend using VLC and downloading an app called GMote.
Lets you use your phone as a remote on your PC. VLC is able to play pretty much every video file format too.
Score
October 25, 2011 4:09:57 AM

Thanks, I don't have an Android phone now but I am going to upgrade in December to either the Galaxy S2 or the Galaxy Nexus.

For now though I still plan to get a remote (or possibly even a TV tuner with remote since those aren't TOO much more expensive than just remotes).
Score
Related resources
October 25, 2011 4:16:20 AM

I think the best way is to just get one wireless keyboard that are made to be used with HTPCs. I think that's the easiest way to set it up to play videos.

I also second the idea of using VLC. In my opinion it is by far the best video player and has the most logical and versatile layout.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
October 25, 2011 4:32:22 AM

dowload matroska codec
Score
October 25, 2011 4:34:36 AM

The codec is installed, and mkv files play fine in WMP just not WMC.
Score

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
October 25, 2011 5:05:30 AM

see the news on the link could resolve the mkv reading http://cybernetnews.com/play-mkv-files-in-windows-7/
October 25, 2011 12:40:02 PM

scout_03 said:
see the news on the link could resolve the mkv reading http://cybernetnews.com/play-mkv-files-in-windows-7/

I will try that when I get off work, but as mkv files already play in WMP and Media Player Classic, I do not have high hopes for this fix. I will post my results after I try it.
Score
October 26, 2011 12:57:27 AM

Best answer selected by chmcke01.
Score
October 26, 2011 12:57:39 AM

IT WORKED! Thanks!
Score
a b $ Windows 7
October 26, 2011 1:16:11 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr.
Score
!