CPU overclocking help

Friisern

Honorable
Mar 10, 2013
Hi there
After a lot of searching and trial and error, i decided to make a post to see if someone could help me out.
Recently i got my friends old XPS 720 since he got him self a new pc and mine was a severely outdated laptop. As it stands now, i'm really short on cash so i'm looking for a way to squeeze a little more performance out of my cpu with the lowest ammount cash possible so i can play arma 3 and dayz in which i'm currently having a little bit of an fps problem.
After reading some forumposts here and there, i decided to try pin modding my CPU with electrical tape(https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/385435/cooling-and-case-modding/intel-q6600-mod-simple-enough-for-idiots/).

This boosted my cpu from 2.4 to 3 ghz, bus speed to 333 and fsb to 1333, but my system got really unstable, and after a few mins of gaming, arma 3 froze. the cpu was not running hot, as it was merely 38C when i looked at it.(i know arma 3 has cpu issues with bottlenecking etc) but the same happend with skyrim. so did some more searching and found someone mentioning that the electrical tape method doesn't work well with the XPS 720. so now the only pin mod method left is with cunductive pen and a u-turn.(http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=499340).

only problem i have with this is if i screw up, i'm left with a useless cpu and an old laptop.

so my question is this(finally): what methods can i use to boost my cpu with roughly 100$(i live in norway, so everything is about twice the price most ppl would have to pay for stuff). A lot of ppl say that overcklocking software is unstable and far inferior to BIOS OC'ing(which i can't do due to a locked motherboard). Setfsb doesn't seem to work at all for me as i can't click the "set fsb" button nor do my motherboard have a PLL code as far as i have seen. Heard someone talk about costom BIOS updates that unlock the overclocking but haven't been able to find out much about it.
any help would be greatly appreciated.

spec:
Dell CPS 720
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
GeForce GTS 250
8GB ddr2 ram (400 MHZ)
Dell Inc. 0p622c mother board (nForce 680i SLI Chipset)

If u need anymore info, don't hesitate to ask.
And thanks for reading all the way to the bottom ;)

Cheers!

Based on the configuration of your PC and components, I suggest you don't try to overclock that CPU. For overclock you need a good mobo and that DELL mobo isn't and example of that. You off course can try, but on your own and the results will not be excellent.

Parjender Nara

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013

u must have downloaded the latest version of setfsb i.e 2.3(shareware one)...download d 2.2 versions...its freeware....n u 'll see the set fsb option ;)

shinte122

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012
Honostly overclocking and stability or just havng an overclocked computer period is mostly all motherboard if i were you i would change that motherboard to one that you can tweak and play aroud with so you can overclock and do what ever you want a locked dell motherboard isnt for overclocking you might burn it out they are not ment for that.