Sign in with
Your question

Help w/ Cooling on New i7 Rig

Last response: in CPUs
June 25, 2010 4:48:48 AM

Hello everyone. After months of research and browsing this forum I finally decided to join and post a thread.

Please forgive my "Noob" status but I need some help with my first time pc build. I assembled my very first computer yesterday but for years I have upgraded prebuilt systems so I finally took the plunge and built one. Anyways I have assembled everything and my pc is running great, however I have some questions about my cpu temp.

1st question: My i7 930 is running idle at about 42c. However thats only for core 0. Core 3 is idle at about 34c. I have taken off the cooling system, re-applied Antec silver compound, and nothing. I cannot figure out why that core is so much lower in temperature? Is that normal for the i7? And when I ran prime95 the max temp for core 0 was 62c and for core 3 it was 55c. I am just puzzled.

My equipment is as follows:

Cooler Master Storm Sniper Case
Intel i7 930 Processor
EVGA X58 LE Motherboard
BFG x2 GTX-275 in SLI
OCZ 6GB DDR3-1600 Ram
x2 Seagate Barracuda 500gb hard drives
Cooler Master 750w power supply
Corsair H50 Cooling System w/ push-pull setup
Windows 7 Home Premium

I know I am a total noob but any help you guys could give me would be great. Thanks

More about : cooling rig

a c 203 à CPUs
June 25, 2010 5:07:02 AM

Those idle and load temps are pretty much in line with what the Corsair H50 gave during testing over over @ LegitReviews

That spread in temps between cores isn't unusual. How did you setup Prime95 to run?
June 25, 2010 5:17:21 AM

I just had real temp do the test. I think it was setup as maxium heat and some RAM?? Is there another setting I should have it run at?
Related resources
a b à CPUs
June 25, 2010 5:41:42 AM

No, that is a good setting to test the cpu. Some i7's just seem to have a bigger difference between the cores. Mine varies about 3-4 degrees between the cores.
If you ever planned on overclocking(with that cooler it just seems like you would), I would recommend running all three of the tests for at least 8 hours to make 100% sure it's stable.
a c 203 à CPUs
June 25, 2010 5:54:09 AM

Does that RealTemp test load up all four cores? If not that might explain some of the temp spread between cores.
June 25, 2010 5:59:08 AM

Ok cool. I was really worried that something was wrong with my processor.

@WR2 I have no idea if it test all four cores. I am pretty computer savy but this custom building, gaming setup is quite new to me. I can't say I fully understand prime95 and real temps settings yet.

On another note my 2 GTX-275's run really hot and when they do their fans really kick in. There's probably only a half an inch between them. Is this something I should worry about or is that just how its going to be with them that close?
a b à CPUs
June 25, 2010 6:21:00 AM

darthgator14 said:
Ok cool. I was really worried that something was wrong with my processor.

@WR2 I have no idea if it test all four cores. I am pretty computer savy but this custom building, gaming setup is quite new to me. I can't say I fully understand prime95 and real temps settings yet.

On another note my 2 GTX-275's run really hot and when they do their fans really kick in. There's probably only a half an inch between them. Is this something I should worry about or is that just how its going to be with them that close?

Yea, with the cards close to each other they can get pretty warm. Nothing to worry about, they were designed to withstand high heat. Rivatuner is a good GPU temp monitor which allows you to see/change the fan speeds of them manually and overclock/underclock them(though I don't recommend that for GPUs).
June 25, 2010 7:01:14 AM

Yeah I was really getting worried. Real Temp's monitor recorded my 2 GPU's at a minimum of 50c and a maximum of 82c. So that is completely ok?
a c 203 à CPUs
June 25, 2010 7:27:57 AM

Looks like they're right in the normal range.

!