Sign in with
Your question

FACTORY RESTORE!!!

Last response: in Windows XP
January 1, 2013 12:27:31 AM

So basically I have this Dell Dimension 3100 that no one uses. I want to factory reset it so everything is wiped off except for for Windows XP and the drivers. I tried repeatedly tapping the F8 button and going to repair my computer but it only takes me to an earlier date which is last month. I do not have any of the CD's it came with so what could I do?

Thanks,

Ziv

More about : factory restore

January 2, 2013 12:47:56 AM

F8 is not a repair option, it will get you to Safe Mode or Last Good boot.

You need an XP disk and code to install it, or you can see if Dell has restore media for that model. Won't be free though. May be cheaper to find a friend with a Dell OEM disk and use your XP code that is on the computer to install it, or find a PC shop that has one.
January 2, 2013 3:55:44 AM

zivw said:
So basically I have this Dell Dimension 3100 that no one uses. I want to factory reset it so everything is wiped off except for for Windows XP and the drivers. I tried repeatedly tapping the F8 button and going to repair my computer but it only takes me to an earlier date which is last month. I do not have any of the CD's it came with so what could I do?

Thanks,

Ziv

there is a key sequence that will launch the restore partition. Look it up on the Dell site or the system manual.

If you cant launch the restore partition, then you either need to buy restore disks from dell, or just use an XP disk to install the OS. This option wont give you the pre-installed software that came with the system, but it will give you a functioning computer. Fresh OS only installs are more stable anyways than OEM preloads. Try and find a dell branded XP disk from a friend, if you can. It doesn't have to be, but I think the dell disk will install on a dell without having to activate it.

Another option would be to make a sector by sector copy of a hard drive on someone elses dell 3100 and restore the system from the copied hard drive.
!