Overclocking problem fx 6300

krazybee

Honorable
Mar 10, 2013
Hey guy I'm new to this forum and new on the overclocking CPU.so I used amd catalyst and turn on my CPU overdrive to oc.the slider to oc my CPU ranged from 3600-4400mhz.so I went all out and oced to 4400,but after that noticed that I could play games like arma 2oa and red orchestra 2 all on max but sometimes games goes low res and others games like Medal of Honor,I can't run it with pull getting lag and stutter.but when I turn off my CPU over drive everything works fine..can u tell me y it is happening...
Does it have some to do withy ram voltage???

Here are my specs

Amd fx6300 6 core 3.5 ghz
Asrock 970 extreme4
ram 8gb single channel ddr3 709mhz
amd radeon hd sapphair 7950
corsair h80i water cooler
2 120mm fan

You could try a lower overclock such as 3.8GHz or 4GHz.

It's possible that you are running into a throttling issue or a voltage issue with that 4.4GHz frequency, but both seem unlikely unless the mobo is causing issues (granted it's not a high-end board, it should be able to handle at least moderate overclocking like what you're attempting, so this also seems unlikely, but possible nonetheless).

Well, I suppose that it's worth looking into.

709MHz is an odd RAM frequency. I'd expect 667MHz, 800MHz, 933MHz, 1000MHz, 1066MHz, etc. 709MHz is about DDR3-1418 and that's not an official frequency. Some motherboard/BIOS combinations run odd frequencies like that, but most do not unless you have a small overclock on the base clock.

What memory voltage is your memory using?

It's also odd to use single channel memory, but I'm not aware of that being capable of causing any issues other than lower memory bandwidth than dual-channel allows and tests have shown that that is rarely an issue for gaming.

I don't think that CPU-Z tells you your current RAM voltage. I know that it can be found in the BIOS.

I don't see how your RAM being single channel could cause any issues. If you have multiple modules and they're running in single channel, then perhaps the cause of them running in single channel is also causing your problems, but if it's a single module, then it shouldn't be related. How many modules do you have?

krazybee

Honorable
Mar 10, 2013
Sorry for being noob on this matter.modules means slots to put ram right.if so I have 4.it has 2 blue and 2white.now I have one on blue and one on white.it says duel channel now

Modules don't mean slots. Modules are what go in the slots ;)

I'm thinking that you may have a defective board. You can try updating it's BIOS as a last resort before sending it in for replacement. Another possibility is that your memory is either defective or running out of specification, the latter of which may be related to a faulty motherboard.

It's also possible but unlikely that your PSU is causing issues. What PSU are you using?

krazybee

Honorable
Mar 10, 2013
Thanks for ur advice man.ill update my bios when I get home. If not ill replace the board any suggestion which board I should get to play CPU intensive games like arma??6-8 core only

Which board you get doesn't really affect performance and AFAIK, all of the 970/990 series chipset boards support the 6 and 8 core FX CPUs. As a suggestion for a replacement, I'd suggest getting one of the 990X/990FX boards. They're at least more likely to not have issues such as what you're having since they're higher end boards and as a specific suggestion, something such as this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157281&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

If you must get another cheap 970 board, then I'll suggest this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130637&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

circularpromise53

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2013
im a little late on this, but i had the stutter problem as well, and for me at least it was because you need to go to your bios and disable all of the "green/energy saver" settings, and do your overclock in the bios, not through the amd software. also increase clock ratio slowly until you need to bump up the voltage. When its time to bump up the voltage, do it in small increments again, and make sure your temps are not too hot. Use Prime95 to test stability (small fft test)

i can get stable overclock of 4.2 with voltage of 1.3875 and 4.5 with voltage around1.4375 or1.4625. However i have a watercooler so temps for me are fine, i wouldnt recommend this on a stock cooler. and when you find the clock/voltage that works and you like i suggest you do an overnight prime95 test to make sure that its all stable, and that the temps arent too high.