Sign in with
Your question

HD Sapphire radeon 4650 Wont let my pc turn on! Help!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 25, 2010 4:19:48 PM

Hi, i have a Dell inspiron 531, fairly modified to be fair, it has 3.5GB of DDR2 ram a 650 Watt power supply a 2.2 Amd (cant remember which one) dual core processor and a 500GB HDD.

The other day i went to turn on my PC. No joy it didnt even turn on, the fans inside jerked (i had the lid off) and the lights flashed for a second, by this time im wondering what the hell. I unplug it, take a look around plug it back in and BANG some freakin way i managed to blow my PSU up ¬_¬. so i ordered a new one of amazon, (650 Watt)

Put it in hoping for it to work, still, no luck.

So i take out my graphics card, plug my monitor into the standard port, reboot and bam it all turns on fine, logs in etc, thing is i cant play counter strike with this can I.

Put the card back in, wont turn on.

Any help? Id be glad to know! Thanks.
a b U Graphics card
March 25, 2010 7:15:43 PM

The card got fried by (or caused the frying of) the PSU. Try RMAing the card if it is still under warranty.
a c 106 U Graphics card
March 25, 2010 7:22:22 PM

Yup, RMA that GPU.
Related resources
March 25, 2010 9:11:54 PM

Thanks for replying guys, whats RMA?

Sorry for my nooby'ness lol
a b U Graphics card
March 25, 2010 9:22:47 PM

It means to return to the manufacturer for replacement. Go to Sapphire's support page and follow the steps.
March 25, 2010 9:23:56 PM

And also i thought id mention, the thing is, it was doing this before the PSU went bang, the fans all jerk and lights come on for a second, its like the powers being sucked out :S any other suggestions? i bought it from PC world in the UK.
a b U Graphics card
March 25, 2010 9:26:03 PM

I had similar symptoms with a bad 4850. That is usually a sign of the PSU overvoltage protection kicking in and saving the computer from frying. I guess the last time was too much for it.
March 27, 2010 10:40:45 AM

Hummm, so i should replace the card?
And by a PSU explosion i opened up the bad PSU and i think its a capaciter it literally had exploded, blown apart, there was miny shrapnel every where, and it'd ripped of the plastic of some of the wires, i was a bit shocked.
a b U Graphics card
March 27, 2010 11:48:10 AM

Well, you could replace the PSU first (something you have to do). For all we know the card is still OK and the PSU just can't handle its load. Then if the card still doesn't work, buy a new one. Just be sure t get a good PSU like corsair/seasonic/antec or OCZ (not quite a good, but decent on a budget).

Is the PSU or graphics card still under warranty?
March 27, 2010 11:50:35 AM

I bought a new PSU, cant remember the brand, but from the reviews its a good one, its a 650 Watt,

The graphics card isnt under warranty but i have a way to return it, that i cant disclose on these forums lol.
a b U Graphics card
March 27, 2010 5:01:50 PM

Fine with me. That is the safest bet (to replace both).
March 28, 2010 11:45:12 AM

Ok thanks for your help. Illl post back when i get chance, and tell you whats happening, although its hit me, ill try my old graphics card in later before replacing, if it doesnt work its got to be the Motherboard? and if it does its the card. I think?
a b U Graphics card
March 28, 2010 2:23:26 PM

Have you already replaced the PSU (I saw you bought one, just want to make sure you got it already)? I wouldn't run any tests until you do (as your old one is definitely shot). And trying an old card is a great idea (that is what I did when my 4850 was bad to prove it was the card).
a c 1409 U Graphics card
March 28, 2010 4:06:44 PM

bradubernerd said:
I bought a new PSU, cant remember the brand, but from the reviews its a good one, its a 650 Watt,

The graphics card isnt under warranty but i have a way to return it, that i cant disclose on these forums lol.

This just showes us how important the quality of a PSU is in a system.
March 29, 2010 10:16:27 AM

EXT64 said:
Have you already replaced the PSU (I saw you bought one, just want to make sure you got it already)? I wouldn't run any tests until you do (as your old one is definitely shot). And trying an old card is a great idea (that is what I did when my 4850 was bad to prove it was the card).

Yeh, i bought it put it in, loaded up my infamous Ubuntu, works fine, i just want my card! (I dual boot with Windows Vista) I cant find my old card atm lol, its some where ill post back when i put it in.
March 31, 2010 10:41:59 PM

Ok its been a few days but ive been on exams sorry!

Ok so i put my old card it, i mean, i cant boot into windows (ubuntu, cant find my recovery disk) but, the main thing is it boots up the PC! so it has to be the old card! so i think thats it, im going to go to PC world, by another, and cough return it straight away -cough- if you get my drift...

Thanks for your help EXT64

Brad.
!