Sign in with
Your question

CD Drive won't boot anything?

Last response: in Storage
May 24, 2012 3:07:02 PM

My CD Drive won't boot to anything. I was trying to install Windows XP over Ubuntu and reached the message with the blue screen. I thought it was taking too long but it froze. The CD Drive's lights that are supposed to be blinking aren't blinking. I rebooted the PC and tried it again. Same result. I set it as first boot priority. That didn't work. Are these memory issues? How do I fix this?

More about : drive boot

a b G Storage
May 24, 2012 3:13:06 PM

Make sure the power and SATA cable are securely attached to the drive and check the motherboard SATA connection as well. Does the drive show up in the BIOS?
May 24, 2012 3:16:43 PM

ubercake said:
Make sure the power and SATA cable are securely attached to the drive and check the motherboard SATA connection as well. Does the drive show up in the BIOS?

Thanks for replying so fast.

Apologies. I'm not very skilled relating to computers. And I know a couple of things in BIOS but not much. So, what does a SATA
cable look like, and what do I do to see if the drive is showing up on BIOS?
Related resources
a b G Storage
May 24, 2012 3:26:28 PM

I guess I should ask how old the PC is? Do you have a make/model? Or is this homebuilt?

This page has a good image of a SATA cable:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

But depending on the age of your PC, you may be dealing with an IDE cable:

Either way, it will be coming off the back of the CD drive. Make sure it is securely attached to the drive and follow the cable to its other end and make sure it is properly attached to the motherboard. Also, I'd suggest you do this with the PC off if you're not familiar with working on the PC.
May 24, 2012 3:35:06 PM

ubercake said:
I guess I should ask how old the PC is? Do you have a make/model? Or is this homebuilt?

This page has a good image of a SATA cable:

But depending on the age of your PC, you may be dealing with an IDE cable:

Either way, it will be coming off the back of the CD drive. Make sure it is securely attached to the drive and follow the cable to its other end and make sure it is properly attached to the motherboard. Also, I'd suggest you do this with the PC off if you're not familiar with working on the PC.

My PC is quite old now. Maybe more than 5 years.

Hmm... The cables are kinda loose, but it's hard to take it off.
a b G Storage
May 24, 2012 3:41:13 PM

Make sure the cables are securely attached to the CD drive and then try turning the PC on. There should be a power cable and one of the cables in the links above.
May 24, 2012 3:44:15 PM

ubercake said:
Make sure the cables are securely attached to the CD drive and then try turning the PC on. There should be a power cable and one of the cables in the links above.

Yup. The cables are properly attached now. What shuold I do next?
a b G Storage
May 24, 2012 3:48:00 PM

When you turn the PC on, you'll want to check whether or not the drive is detected by the BIOS. Do you know how to get there? Usually hit 'Del' or 'F1' a few times when you turn the PC on? There's usually a screen that says press 'Del' or some key to enter setup. This is where you want to go to see if the drive is detected by your system.
May 24, 2012 3:51:57 PM

ubercake said:
When you turn the PC on, you'll want to check whether or not the drive is detected by the BIOS. Do you know how to get there? Usually hit 'Del' or 'F1' a few times when you turn the PC on? There's usually a screen that says press 'Del' or some key to enter setup. This is where you want to go to see if the drive is detected by your system.

Yeah. I know. But what I cant seem to figure out is why the drive works for a second and then stops again.
a b G Storage
May 24, 2012 3:56:56 PM

So the drive is detected just fine by the BIOS?

Your CD drive could be going bad? The fortunate part is this is only a $20 USD part.
May 24, 2012 4:03:47 PM

ubercake said:
So the drive is detected just fine by the BIOS?

Your CD drive could be going bad? The fortunate part is this is only a $20 USD part.

No. I just bought the drive last year.
May 24, 2012 4:12:12 PM

Hmm... I just successfully booted to the Ubuntu LiveCD. Maybe the Windows disk is the problem? I'm not sure because I tried to boot to the ubuntu cd earlier to no avail.
a b G Storage
May 24, 2012 4:22:52 PM

And now it boots to Ubuntu? Did you try the Windows disk again? Maybe there was something lose and you fixed it?
May 24, 2012 4:33:21 PM

ubercake said:
And now it boots to Ubuntu? Did you try the Windows disk again? Maybe there was something lose and you fixed it?

Dunno. For now Im installing ubuntu 12.04 and making a partition and see if it will help. Ill reply sometime tomorrow. i gotta sleep.
!