Sign in with
Your question
Solved

What Water Cooling Kit is good for me?

Last response: in Overclocking
March 10, 2013 11:25:34 PM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme6 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($159.98 @ Outlet PC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($51.23 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($172.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($209.99 @ Microcenter)
Wireless Network Adapter: Rosewill RNX-N250PCe 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($21.90 @ Amazon)
Case: Zalman Z11 Plus ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional Gold 750W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Other: nMEDIAPC Black Aluminum Panel ($35.00)
Total: $1101.06
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-10 20:21 EDT-0400)

These are the parts that I have ordered. The only thing that I am missing (in my opinion) is a water cooling kit. I don't mind spending around $250 as long as the kit is good! I am a complete newbie when it comes to water cooling so I would really appreciate your help!

More about : water cooling kit good

March 11, 2013 10:13:20 AM

Well I see many kits, but I don't know if I should get XSPC EX240 or RS240 or RX240! I'm confused as to which one would be better for the parts that I have.
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
March 11, 2013 10:15:44 AM

You need to do the calculations for TDP to see what radiator and fans to get. To determine what pump you need you need to calculate loop restriction. Also make sure you leave yourself room to upgrade because once you start water cooling you'll be hooked!
m
l
March 11, 2013 10:33:00 AM

Well with the i7-3770k it's 77 watts max. So TDP = 77? Since I only have a CPU loop.
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
March 11, 2013 5:45:47 PM

The Ivy Bridge's are very notorious for being liars - I mean that when you'll want to overclock and take the chip to the next level via voltage bumps, the chip dumps a tonne load of heat into your loop and keeping it cool is the only thing allowing you to maintain the sighted clocks.

I'd go for the RX over all those choices only because it'll help you hold off the purchase of the next radiator when you'll want to add GPU into the loop but mind you, having a mild overclock is advised until you can think of shelling out a radiator to expand upon.

MLC has provided excellent answers - the least I could add is:
try netting yourself the RX unit with the revised v4 750L pump or since you're already on the edge of buying a D5 RX raystorm kit, I'd vote that in my books. This time, I'd ask you to get the RX360 D5 Raystorm kit. You don't know it yet but you'll be looking for an excuse to watercool those GPU's.

Choice 1advantage, good option to expand upon with a cheap kit having a good strong pump (as detailed in martinsliquidlab testing)
Choice 2 advantage, very solid D5 to help you add good amount of radiator and blocks and not look over your shoulder :) 

Regarding the cards, you could probably find full cover blocks provided those Gigabytes are reference designed PCB's.
m
l
March 11, 2013 7:30:59 PM

So is the RX series better than the EX Series?
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
March 11, 2013 7:39:15 PM

AX>RX>EX>RS respectively
m
l
March 11, 2013 7:46:59 PM

Which fan size would be best for my case?
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
March 11, 2013 7:52:19 PM

Honestly?

You're good with the fans that come with teh kit, but if you're trying to go 1 up - then shoot for these

Swiftech Helix
Scythe GT AP-15 or AP-45
Corsair SP's
Noctua NF series
Bitfenix Spectre Pro
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
March 11, 2013 8:10:28 PM

You're welcome mate!

Tell you what, take this advice into consideration and you can thank me later :) 

Get choice number 2 in my prev post - for a mere $20 more you're getting a whole lo more than you're paying for. Once the watercooling bug bites, you'll be going for the whole works. SO you can get he upper hand by being prepared with the pump and rad capable of handling an overclocked system.

The other thing is, I'm assuming you're going for an internal rad mount - I'd strongly advise against internal rad mounting. Air that is warmed by your internal components will eventually end up being fed into your rad. This will later result in a slightly warmer loop. Mind you this heat will be recycled within the loop thus a portion of the heat will always flow through the loop due to the warm components. Furthermore, you can also have air recycled near the portion of the case where the fans meet with the chassis.

The whole point of this is that I encourage people here to get the most out of their systems. So if you're shelling out $300 of hardware to end up with the performance of a $120 CLC unit(which is sub-par; the least) I'd try and swing you the other way and get the setup done at first attempt thus my quote for "getting things done right at first go".

External rad mounting means the rad is fed cooler air from your ambient instead of a warmer air path.

Sorry for sounding rude though :p 
m
l
March 11, 2013 8:15:50 PM

You don't sound rude at all!

I will go with choice number 2 then! How do you suggest I mount the water cooling tubes? And should I use distilled water with colored tubes? or colored coolants?

You've been of much help! Hopefully I don't sound too annoying with all these questions, I just have a lot of them!
m
l
March 11, 2013 8:19:16 PM

I can't seem to edit my post.

I was told my graphics card didn't need a watercooling block. However do you recommend one? Also, which one?
m
l

Best solution

a c 78 K Overclocking
March 11, 2013 8:24:10 PM

No dye's mate, just go with distilled water - as a biocide you'll be provided a kill coil or even deadwater with your kit free of charge. If you want color in your loop, go with colored tubing. But for your first foray - keep it clear and understand how a loop works, it actually helps you understand where your bubbles are coming from when you'll be priming/bleeding and purging air out of your loop and most times there may be an airlock that always ends up damaging the brand new pump(as it was running dry).

External rad mounting hardware is provided for in your kit, just mount off the rear 120 fan of your case - like how I have mine

^courtesy of AMS build log

Honestly though, almost all your questions are answered within the watercooling sticky. Its the next stop for you before the parts arrive at your doorstep. It'll pay dividends to be informed before the loop is built. Wasn't annoyed though :) 
March 11, 2013 8:35:20 PM

Thank you very much! I cannot seem to pick your answer as the solution, but I will check back! You've been of much help and I will go for the RX360 with a D5 pump!
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
March 11, 2013 8:38:36 PM

You're very welcome - now you can return the favor by coming back and opening a thread; build log of your progress with the kit that's been suggested be a source for those who are thinking of taking a leap of faith :lol: .

Or maybe even have the thread detail your progress in the early years to your now fondness towards watercooling :p 
m
l
March 11, 2013 8:42:54 PM

Definitely will do that! Just gonna order the final part (water cooling kit) now and I will hopefully post one by the end of next week!
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
March 11, 2013 8:46:19 PM

Have fun then! Cheers!
m
l
a b K Overclocking
March 12, 2013 6:56:43 PM

Sorry I haven't been around for a couple of days, glad to see you got it all figured out archon20. The D5 with the RX rad should serve you very well both now and through future loop additions (good call Lutfij).

Don't forgot to do some research and planning before you go to set up the loop. I look forward to seeing your build log.
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
March 13, 2013 12:49:47 AM

I remember OP PM'ed me about the rpm and possible purchase of the xinrulian's - I'd simply get the highest RPM fans and add a fan controller to the mix - The fan controller can take care of the fans if I need them at 100% or even at 50%.

Thanks MLC!!! Just helping out. Yeah, I'm eager to see what this bloke can do :) 
m
l
!