Sign in with
Your question

Amd 8350 stock fan question

Last response: in Overclocking
March 11, 2013 2:51:47 AM

So I have an fx 8350.
I'm new to overclocking and am curious how far it would be wise to go with the stock fan and heatsink that comes with it.
I don't plan on investing in a water cooing device.
I notice on AMD overdrive that even though its stock speed is 4000 , there is something called "turbo core control" it has a boost level of 1 that has it set at 4100 and a boost level of 0 set at 4200.
Why do they even call it a 4gig when it goes to 4.2? why not just make the stock speed 4.2?
Is it safe raising it to 4.3 or 4.4 with the stock fan and heat sink?
Thanks for any help
a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
March 11, 2013 3:18:47 AM

Well in truth I would not even run a FX CPU at stock speed on the stock cooler. Both of my FX rigs are water cooled I only used the stock cooler for a few minutes before I found that it was just to loud to run it that way. You could get away with a good after market cooler but as I have never used a aftermarket air cooler I do not know which one to suggest as all of my PC's are water cooled now.
m
l
March 11, 2013 3:20:39 AM

Sometimes they disable 1 or more cores to get a high clock speed on the rest. Also, one could argue it's the "safe" "mainstream" setting for most users, and they are just being honest/safe/legal.

Many people have good experience with high speeds OC on this CPU, though it does vary. Read the OC FAQ if you've never oc'd, otherwise play around and good luck!
m
l
Related resources
a c 412 À AMD
a c 390 K Overclocking
March 11, 2013 11:25:11 AM

I wouldn't overclock until you get an aftermarket cooling solution.
m
l
March 11, 2013 4:48:31 PM

It is not advisable to OC on a stock, especially an 8350 stock hsf. It is the MOST terrible and MOST horrendous stock hsf I've ever used for the few days I ever did use it. When you OC, raising voltages is a very heat-producing activity.

I would not dare to OC on stock for the fact that hardware is money. Your cpu is money. Just as it's detrimental to put money near a fire, it's risky to let an oc'd cpu produce excessive heat with a broken a/c.

A cheap aftermarket cooler can let you OC up to 4.6 or even 7.
m
l
March 12, 2013 9:17:23 AM

Does anyone know the specs on the stock HSF for the FX-8350? Specifically, I'm interested in the noise level. I just upgraded to this processor over the weekend and the stock fan is kind of loud. I've had decent success with previous stock hsf's (last was stock fan for AMD II x4 640), but it doesn't appear that I will have similar success with this one.

Like a lot of people, I'm pretty picky about sound. I don't usually mind the quiet whirling sound of bigger case fans, but I do mind the high-pitched whizzing sound of small crappy fans. The stock FX 8350 appears to be in whizzing category. I'm considering a Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO. Does anyone have experience with this HSF? Will it be quieter than stock 8350 fan? I don't have any plans to overclock (yet), so I won't put big loads on the cpu.
m
l
March 12, 2013 11:50:01 AM

tlawren300 said:
Does anyone know the specs on the stock HSF for the FX-8350? Specifically, I'm interested in the noise level. I just upgraded to this processor over the weekend and the stock fan is kind of loud. I've had decent success with previous stock hsf's (last was stock fan for AMD II x4 640), but it doesn't appear that I will have similar success with this one.

Like a lot of people, I'm pretty picky about sound. I don't usually mind the quiet whirling sound of bigger case fans, but I do mind the high-pitched whizzing sound of small crappy fans. The stock FX 8350 appears to be in whizzing category. I'm considering a Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO. Does anyone have experience with this HSF? Will it be quieter than stock 8350 fan? I don't have any plans to overclock (yet), so I won't put big loads on the cpu.

If you mean the stock HSF sounding as if at any moment an airplane could possibly take off from your case ... (lol) ... that is the stock 8350 HSF for you. If I'm correct the rpm of it can max out to 3000 or 4000 under a load of say 40%+. It's not a very efficient cooler which is why its rpm shoots up and attempts to cool all that heat.
The 212 EVO will be a drastic and welcome change. Be nice to your 8350 >:3.
m
l
a c 412 À AMD
a c 390 K Overclocking
April 16, 2013 2:52:23 PM

I had the EVO on my 8120.

I'm now at 5.1ghz on my FX8350, but with a huge Phanteks cooler.
m
l
!