After adding another hard drive, Now What?

jayjaydu

Honorable
May 24, 2012
I added new internal hard drive now what?

I installed new internal 2T hard drive and formatted the internal hard drive and named it F drive works fine. The problem is now that my C drive still has only 9 GB remaining the Program Files Folder and User Folder is where 250 GB are stored most of the C drive is taken up by. When I drag and drop the Program Files or the User Folder my computer just copies folders on to the new F Drive with 1.8T remaining after formatted and there is not even an option to Send To the F drive on the right click. What do I do now to get the computer to start saving all new data to the new F hard drive and not the C drive, and How to I move the folders out of the C drive?? Please help THX Jay :)

fantastik250

Distinguished
Well, what you are doing is correct. But what is the format of your F Drive? Is it NTFS? FAT 32, FAT 16?

Which new data? Are you talking about the operating system when it installs new updates?

If you are talking about programs and among other things I will refer you to another thread that talks about this same issue (the drive names will be a bit different. Just look at the first couple of posts.

How does one Install a program file on "D" drive with Windows 7 64-bit:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/3672-63-install-program-file-drive-windows

I will also refer you to here: I want to move the Program Files folder to another hard drive.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-files/i-want-to-move-the-program-files-folder-to-another/acdcd12b-e228-4260-b7dd-65b2fc77719f

Lastly, you can move over important files you want to keep, not programs. The links I provide you refers to programs if you want to have programs on your larger hard drive.

jayjaydu

Honorable
May 24, 2012
Thanks for your reply :) I am going crazy here I thought what I was doing was correct I just don’t know why it is coping the files and not moving the files. Just checked the Properties Tab the F hard drive is Hitachi Deskstar Model: HDS723020BLA642 format NTFS. I am speaking about new data in my User Folder every time I save a file picture, music, doc it is saved on the C drive in the User Folder instead of moving the User Folder to the F drive that is empty.

I understand that the Programs File and system will always live on the C diver Correct?? But I don’t want my User Folder to live there is this possible? Otherwise I am going to be moving data every time something is saved.

fantastik250

Distinguished
Well basically, when transferring files it always copies over to your new hard drive. Your hard drive format is okay.

Okay, here is the post that das_stig did for User folder. Here is the original link if you want to see the thread, it is very helpful
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/6643-63-windows-boot-drive-user-files-program-files-normal

You may have to do some registry edits:

This is how I set user folders to a different drive on a clean build.

1. Once setup and at the desktop, don't bother doing any customisation, but start up Computer Management via Control Panel\System and Security\Administrative Tools.

2. Local Users And Groups\Users, select Administrator and enable the account.

3. Reboot.

4. Logon as Administrator, no password, go into normal User Account management and delete the account created during setup and any and all files.

5. Startup Regedit and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

6. Change the ProfilesDirectory from %SystemDrive%\Users to for example D:\Users.

7. Close down regedit and reboot.

8. Logon as Administrator and create a user account.

9. Logoff and logon using new account and let system create profile, which is now on your D: drive which of course now the default location for all your personal files.

10. Start up Computer Management via Control Panel\System and Security\Administrative Tools.

11. Local Users And Groups\Users, select Administrator and disable the account. Leaving this enabled is a big security risk !!!

If you can't or don't have access to Local Users And Groups, use a cmd prompt running as admin to enable/disable admin account.

net user administrator /active:yes or no