Power LED shows for a split second but nothing turns on

hyung88

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
I just recently bought some new parts including a GA-G31M-ES2L motherboard with a BFG 450w PSU, one stick of Kingston 667 MHZ DDR2 RAM, one ATI RADEON HD 4850, an Intel 6500 Dual Core processor, a Western Digital 500GB 32MB Cache 7200RPM Green Cavair, all in an Antec 300 case.
The problem is that none of the parts boot up upon pressing the power button. One time the power LED flashed for a split second but nothing booted (even the PSU). I installed everything correctly except maybe the CPU fan. The CPU fan is not fully installed as two connectors aren't installed because the wire to the cpu fan is too short and won't reach if I force the cooler all the way down. Other than that, the power supply works, as I tested it in another build.

Can someone please tell me how to fix this problem?

Thanks,
hyung

Keithley

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010

I would probably wait for an expert to reply but I believe it is your CPU fan which is causing the issue. Recently when my computer crashed and wouldn't turn on it was because the fan was not properly attached any more. It would just turn on and turn back off within the first 3 seconds. If possible replace the wires?

fastx21

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
It's not the CPU fan connetor being too short. Normally if the mobo did not see a cpu fan starting it would beep with an error message and shut itself off within the first 10 seconds.

Your name is hyung? Han gul nam ja?

First you should go through that sticky on booting problems but I would double check that the video and memory are seated fully.

hyung88

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
I barely speak/write any Korean... Been living in Canada for a while now.

Yes, I check over that sticky and triple checked if there were any screws and didn't find any. I counted and looked over how many washers there were inside, etc. etc. I even tried plugging in the PSU directly into a wall socket, and with different power chords. It still had the same results. I also played around with the Power and Reset switches but alas, still no results.

I'm utterly stumped right now.

fastx21

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
Take it apart and start from scratch. Did you check the 8 or 4 pin connector along with the 20+4 connector?
Is the cmos battery in tack, might be lose?

That's too bad I can't speak korean for the life of me but I can still read and understand it.

Anyway do yo have a spare video card you can try?

hyung88

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
I took your advise and rebuilt it a while ago.
Forgot about this thread for a while :kaola:

Computer works fine now, thanks for all of the help guys!

Can a mod close this?