Sign in with
Your question

Install Programs on SSD/HDD questions

Last response: in Storage
May 24, 2012 9:59:24 PM

I have recently built my first PC, and everything so far is going great. My only problem is that I don't know what to do about installing programs. I have a 128gb SSD that I have windows 7 installed on, and then a 500gb HDD. My problem is that I'm unsure what I should and shouldn't put on the SSD. So far I have all my programs installed on the SSD, but I want to know if it would be a better idea to move them, or atleast some of them?

For example, do I want firefox or chrome on the SSD, or would it be better to keep them on the HDD. How about itunes, or other programs like GIMP, imgburn, or games such as diablo or skyrim? Also, how exactly would I go about installing programs to my E drive instead of C? I don't know much about how SSD's work, and what I should or shouldn't put on them so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
a c 98 G Storage
May 24, 2012 11:39:18 PM

Install EVERYTHING on the SSD. Don't you want the fastest access to everything?

Here are some websites that I recommend for Solid State Drives (SSD) users:

Overclock.net – Sean’s Windows 7 Install & Optimization Guide for SSDs & HDDs

The SSD Review – The SSD Optimization Guide

OCZ Blog – SSD Tips & Tweaks

The SSD Review - The Windows 7 Optimization Guide

Sean’s Guide is quite in depth, but very useful information, including install of the operating system (OS) to a SSD if you already have it on a HDD. Sorry, no drive cloning here!

As for the next links, you don’t have to do them all, or any. They are just tips. But several of them save space usage, and others actually help speed up the OS usage of the SSD. And they include a step-by-step how-to guide.

And why do you have an E: drive? You should have C=OS & Programs, D=Data/Media/Libraries, E=Optical Drive. Oh, you need to delete the old system reserved partition off the HDD. THe how to do is in Sean's guide.
May 25, 2012 4:22:57 AM

Thank you for the help. I already read through Sean's optimization guide before installing my OS. As for the E: drive thing, the way things working out when setting up my computer my disk drive was assigned :D  so I had to give the HDD :E. Is there anyway to change that easily or no?
Related resources
a c 98 G Storage
May 25, 2012 11:43:31 PM

Yes. You'll do it in Disk Management:

start/computer/right-click/manage/choose Disk Management/right ckick on the drive you wan to change

If your CD drive is D:, right click on it and change it to F:, then change the HDD to D:, then change to CD to E:.

Look to see if you still have a System Reserved Partition on the HDD, you can delete it, and expand the HDD partion to use up all the space. But you need this partition on the SSD!
March 24, 2014 6:51:51 PM

I would but your important programs on it like windows 7 and I would also put chrome on it if you want it to be fast to load and I would put the things you use most often like photoshop or sony vegas or maybe a game you play all the time like Skyrim or Battlefield.
!