Sign in with
Your question
Solved

M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 won't install Windows

Last response: in Motherboards
December 28, 2010 6:58:09 PM

I received a M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 for Christmas and installed it yesterday. I decided to go with what I thought was a fool proof switch and just decided to backup my files and do a clean install. After I got Windows 7 64-bit loaded up, I started installing drivers and windows updates. That's when the blue screens started. It got to the point where I would log into my account, I would start my graphic card driver update (I originally had thought it was a bad graphics card driver) and immediate blue screen. Try to install a windows update... blue screen. Try to open an internet browser blue screen. And it was never the same blue screen twice in a row, I was getting DRIVER_IRQL most commonly (Plus the blue screen are gone in a second now, if you aren't looking you miss them.

So i started trouble shooting:
1. Tried upgrading graphics card drivers (never got them to finish)
2. Remove graphics cards and use onboard (still blue screened)
3. Remove all HDD other than C: (still blue screened)
4. Tested each stick of RAM for one pass on Windows RAM diagnostics
5. Made sure I had the newest BIOS (I did)
6. Made sure I had a big enough PSU (still not sure if I need a little more power, let me know)

So I said forget it I'm starting over again. Reset BIOS to default settings, formatted the HDD and trying to reinstall Windows with just onboard graphics, one HDD, my optical drive, and one stick of RAM.

Windows started installing (custom install with reformat, not an upgrade) and then blue screened., Memory_Management (0x0000001A). Reformat and try to reinstall again, no luck. Another blue screen this time CACHE_MANAGER (0x00000034). I'm starting to think it might be a bad mobo.

Here is my setup:
AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE
ASUS M4A89GTD Pro/USB3
4 x 2 GB OCZ (OCZ3G1333LV4GK) DDR3-1333
3 x 1 TB Seagate 7200.12 (ST31000528AS)
Coolermaster 600W RS-600-PCAR-E3
Corsair H50 Cooler
2 x Gigabyte HD5770 Crossfired

Any and all help is appreciated. I'm going to go try to break some ice dams off my roof, hopefully I'll be able to come back to some suggestions. :) 

*Edit: Added graphics cards
December 28, 2010 7:15:24 PM

did you do the obligatory double-checking of the BIOS? ram voltage, latency, speed etc?
i have the non-USB3 version of that mobo, with a 2x2gb gskill 1600mhz ram set @1733mhz with my fsb at 260..and win7 pro 64bit installed without a hitch

aside from it switching to the HDMI port (from DVI) in the middle of the install (4870 1gb). anyway..

also, what video card do you have installed? thats a large factor in deciding if your PSU is the culprit, although its unlikely that a simple mobo swap would raise power usage that much if at all
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a b U Graphics card
a c 715 V Motherboard
December 28, 2010 7:41:48 PM

So you managed to install Windows ---> but the problems occurred after you started to install drivers. Did you install the latest 64-bit drivers from the website http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=eCWbkolMf0DOW0IV or use the MOBO CD?

If it were 'me' I would reformat and reinstall Windows.
Related resources
December 28, 2010 9:27:02 PM

jaquith said:
So you managed to install Windows ---> but the problems occurred after you started to install drivers. Did you install the latest 64-bit drivers from the website http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=eCWbkolMf0DOW0IV or use the MOBO CD?

If it were 'me' I would reformat and reinstall Windows.

The first drivers I installed were from the mobo CD.

As far as reformatting and reinstalling Windows, that is exactly what I am trying to do now. It keeps blue screening during the Windows install though.
December 28, 2010 9:31:08 PM

justaguywithagun said:
did you do the obligatory double-checking of the BIOS? ram voltage, latency, speed etc?
i have the non-USB3 version of that mobo, with a 2x2gb gskill 1600mhz ram set @1733mhz with my fsb at 260..and win7 pro 64bit installed without a hitch

aside from it switching to the HDMI port (from DVI) in the middle of the install (4870 1gb). anyway..

also, what video card do you have installed? thats a large factor in deciding if your PSU is the culprit, although its unlikely that a simple mobo swap would raise power usage that much if at all

I did the obligatory BIOS check, after that didn't work I restored the BIOS settings to default. I'm going to walkthrough the manual and BIOS setting by setting now and see how that goes.

As far as GPU, I can't believe I forgot that. I edited the orignal post to include that information, but I am running crossfired Gigabyte HD5770s. I don't think it's the PSU anymore since I am getting blue screens during install with a barebones setup, no GPU other than onboard, 1 HDD, 1 RAM dimm, and the optical drive.

Edit: The reason I was concerned about the PSU in the first place is because along with the board I am adding the second GPU. I used the Extreme Power Supply Calculator (Lite version) to check on wattage of the setup and I should be just under 500 watts, so I have plenty of room to spare, assuming the calculator is correct.

Best solution

December 28, 2010 9:45:55 PM

change the memory modules.
The list of compatible memory modules is in the board manual.

Do not keep on troubleshooting or reinstalling it won't work.
I had the same borad with with a core 6 and the exact (OCZ3G1333LV4GK)
modules.

Very important also: update your BIOS using a USB key drive. copy the new bios file in the root drive of your usb key not inside a folder. Then, insert it in the usb port and bootup the PC and press DEL to get into the bios. Navigate to the file and press ENTER.

Let me know if it worked for you.
December 28, 2010 10:05:44 PM

themax_80 said:
The list of compatible memory modules is the board manual.

modules.

Crap! I think you are right. Looking at the list again they have the OCZ3P1333LV4GK listed as compatible. What a difference a letter makes I guess. Anyone know what the difference between the two is? Well, off to Microcenter...
December 28, 2010 10:12:48 PM

godzigga said:
Crap! I think you are right. Looking at the list again they have the OCZ3P1333LV4GK listed as compatible. What a difference a letter makes I guess. Anyone know what the difference between the two is? Well, off to Microcenter...

Very important also: update your BIOS using a USB key drive. copy the new bios file in the root drive of your usb key not inside a folder. Then, insert it in the usb port and bootup the PC and press DEL to get into the bios. Navigate to the file and press ENTER.

December 28, 2010 10:15:28 PM

themax_80 said:

Thanks for the tip, the board came from the factory with the latest BIOS though. Any suggestions for RAM?
December 29, 2010 1:32:34 PM

Best answer selected by godzigga.
December 29, 2010 1:37:24 PM

themax_80 said:
The list of compatible memory modules is in the board manual.

modules.

Let me know if it worked for you.

Exchanged the RAM with something off the QVL (double checked this time, didn't just skim the model #'s) and everything installed and is working great. Thanks!
!