Sign in with
Your question

XFX 5770 high temps and HSF.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 25, 2010 8:09:49 PM

I've got XFX 5770 1gb. My idle temp is 41 degree which is good, I know but when it comes to stress, I get max 93 degrees. And that is I guess not good at all. I've come up with an idea of buying high end thermal grease. Do you guys think it would actually help lower the temps? And I've also thought of replacing that ineffecient stock cooler with something aftermarket. Can you suggest something? I haven't seen many things that would actually fit 5770. Btw. I've got 650wat psu, e4700@3.5ghz and my chasis is NZXT Tempest so chasis is not the problem here. Thanks!
March 25, 2010 8:42:13 PM

Have you tryed manually setting the fan speed in CCC? Try setting it to 40% and see how that does.

Quality thermal paste certainly does help. MX-2 knocked 9C off my CPU load temps :) 

I would try changing the fan speed first and see how you get on.
March 25, 2010 8:58:06 PM

This is an aftermarket cooler but it has a disclaimer that says "accessories may not totally fit on the card." This is the only aftermarket cooler I have seen, but then again I've only looked on the arctic cooling website ;) .

To omgitzfatal: How would you apply the thermal grease to the cooler already on the 5770? I actually have some MX-2 lieing around that was supposed to be used for my CPU cooler, but it already had it applied. Lucky me :D .
Related resources
March 25, 2010 9:02:05 PM

Its an XFX card, dont pull the cooler off or you lose your lifetime warranty, worst case the card prematurely dies from heat and they replace it for free. Manually increase the fan speed and you should be fine, often times it wont increase all the way up to 100% without you setting it.
March 25, 2010 9:09:54 PM

I am running my XFX 5770 fan at 50% and I can't hear. I can set it at 55% but I get used to it after a minute or so.
March 26, 2010 6:41:57 AM

Well, then lucky me, i've already took the cooler twice. Increasing fan speed does help but 70-80 degrees on 100% is too high for such terrible noise(my vacuum is more quiet). And have I really lost warranty on that card? That would be stupid of XFX, wouldn't it? Anyway, I'm trying to find a cooler from msi 5770 hawk, guess in a month they will start to appear and then I'll replace it with that. Thanks, guys!
March 26, 2010 2:08:51 PM

You might have poor airflow within your case. Did you take off the side panel to see if that made a difference. Your GPU fan and temps might be normal but i fyour case retains heat then it's not the GPUs fault.
March 26, 2010 3:06:19 PM

I would go to www.xfxforce.com and submit a support ticket. I have three XFX HD 5770's. I have submitted several tickets and get a next day responses. I complained about not receiving crossfire bridges, and they sent me out two free the next day. I have been impressed with the support at XFX personally, and recommend them for support.

My cards idle from 37c - 42c and load at 58c to 62c. I think that you either have a bad card or that airflow is your problem.

I have 2 crossfired in a Antec 900 II, and one in a CM Storm Scout case. Both these cases "breathe" very well.

Good luck, and don't be afraid to contact XFX, they have been good to me.
March 26, 2010 6:45:37 PM

Ok, I'll do that. No, it's not the airflow. I used to have a small atx case from enlight which I thought might the reason for such temps(taking side panel wouldn't help) and I bought NZXT tempest which has great airflow and temps did decrease by 5degrees only. I've bought Artic Silver 5 thermal compound and it helped for 3-4 degrees. And at 90+ degrees the fan's speed is set at 65%. I guess I'll set it up myself setting 100% at 95 degrees.
And henrystrawn, I do not mean average stress. The temps are measuer in Furmark with Xtreme burn test ticked. My friend's got Asus 5770 CuCore and I asked him what temps he's got during xtreme burn test in furmark and he says he's got 84 degrees. So if now i've got 86 after a few tweaks then it should be normal. thanks.
March 26, 2010 7:20:07 PM

szymek, thanks for pointing that out. I haven't overclocked or stressed a GPU. My load temps were just gaming at highest settings, sometimes for hours. I would be interested in seeing how mine fair. What benchmark specifically? Is this 3dfuturemark06 with the xtreme burn test enabled? I am always wanting to learn more.
March 26, 2010 7:27:54 PM

It's called "furmark" it's 1-2mb and it's gpu stressing only. I mean to discover artifacts if a card makes any. It's got temp sensing and since the ver. 1.8, I guess, you have an icon on desktop for multigpu rendering. To make things clear, I have ticked: Stability test, log gpu temperature( on the left), Xtreme Burning Mode, Post FX, fullscreen, my resolution is 1920x1080, 8X multisampling. And to overclock and to see fans speed I use MSI Afterburner. And btw. What's your rig except those 5770s?
March 26, 2010 8:28:10 PM

szymek said:
It's called "furmark" it's 1-2mb and it's gpu stressing only. I mean to discover artifacts it a card makes any. It's got temp sensing and since the ver. 1.8, I guess, you have an icon on desktop for multigpu rendering. To make things clear, I have ticked: Stability test, log gpu temperature( on the left), Xtreme Burning Mode, Post FX, fullscreen, my resolution is 1920x1080, 8X multisampling. And to overclock and to see fans speed I use MSI Afterburner. And btw. What's your rig except those 5770s?

I think I found it. I have version 1.7.0 and ran the stress test with 8x MSAA @ 1920x1080 for 10 minutes (600 secs). My temp topped out at 73c with all fans on auto/low. My min Temp is high because I realized that I wasn't in Crossfire and restarted the test before my temps returned to idle.

system is as follows:

Intel Q9550 @ 3.6 1.3125 v
Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P rev 1.6 FD bios
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro HSF
8 GB OCZ Blade 6400 RAM 4-4-4-15
2 XFX HD 5770 CF
BFG 650 watt PSU
Antec 900 II Case

March 26, 2010 8:38:48 PM

That's a nice rig and some cool temperatures. Damn, I can't figure out this thing. Wait, wait, wait, you don't have big reference coolers on those 5770, do you? It's the modified cooling called "egg-shaped"? Now as that thermal grease is hot for some time it's getting better and my temps are lowering however it's still high.
My rig is:
e4700@3.46GHz
Gigabyte Ga-945pl-s3(gigabyte's the best)
Pentium D cooler (it ain't so bad and got it already. I sold my Scythe Ninja 2 when needed money;p)
4x512mb drr2 Geil 4-4-4-11 800@709mhz
XFX 5770 Reference (I much more liked that "x" prefix rather than "HD")
Chieftec CFT-650-CS14
NZXT Tempest Evo.
What's your ambient temp?
And in furmark 1.7 I have temp maxes out at 77 degrees. That is nice for a reference cooling, anyway.
March 26, 2010 9:09:03 PM

szymek said:
That's a nice rig and some cool temperatures. Damn, I can't figure out this thing. Wait, wait, wait, you don't have big reference coolers on those 5770, do you? It's the modified cooling called "egg-shaped"? Now as that thermal grease is hot for some time it's getting better and my temps are lowering however it's still high.
My rig is:
e4700@3.46GHz
Gigabyte Ga-945pl-s3(gigabyte's the best)
Pentium D cooler (it ain't so bad and got it already. I sold my Scythe Ninja 2 when needed money;p)
4x512mb drr2 Geil 4-4-4-11 800@709mhz
XFX 5770 Reference (I much more liked that "x" prefix rather than "HD")
Chieftec CFT-650-CS14
NZXT Tempest Evo.
What's your ambient temp?
And in furmark 1.7 I have temp maxes out at 77 degrees. That is nice for a reference cooling, anyway.

Yes, All my cards are the egg-shaped radial coolers. The downside is that they only have a single CF tab on the PCB, so I won't be able to move all three to one machine in the future. When I ran the benchmark without crossfire enable and 0x MSAA, my temp topped out at 83c for the single card.

I am running three monitors (Samsung 1080p LCD TV, and 2 - 19" viewsonics) with no Displayport. So when I game, I drop down to one monitor (Samsung) and enable Crossfire. I normally run without CF enable and three monitors.

Sorry I forgot the Ambient temp. thermostat says 74 F. would love to see your rig, can you post a picture?

Newegg has it listed as XFX HD-577X-ZNFC They were cheaper.
March 26, 2010 9:49:38 PM

Sure I can. I was buying mine from a shop where I don't pay taxes so in my case it was 22% cheaper than normally. And I forgot about hdd. I've got Samsung HD502HJ. I'll be getting i7 930 in the future but that's quite far future and another HD502HJ in raid0 and another 5770 in cf but I can't even suppose when that would be. My ambient is something around 70F so pretty much the same as yours. I have one monitor only. It's Benq 24inch using LED technology in 1080p. Where are you from? US I guess if you give me temp in F.
And here's my rig:
http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/1761/img2760dh.jpg
PC's actually on and all fans are spinning;p
March 26, 2010 10:16:35 PM

I live in Washington City, UT. I like that case, yay, you definitely don't have a airflow problem. I have an extra heatsink AC Freezer 7 Pro rev 2, some sleeving and some heatshrink, to help you pimp out your case. I recently built a system for my brother in law with the NZXT M59. It was a budget build.

I would be willing to send it to you if you live in the states.

The heatsink didn't work out on my AMD machine. It was pointed the wrong direction.

I replaced it with a CM Hyper 212 plus, and two Antec Tricool red 120mm fans for push/pull

March 26, 2010 10:29:59 PM

Wow, your rig looks much better than mine ;)  But, anyway I don't like all those neons and noisy fans. I wish I had a PC I wouldnt hear at all. You know, once, when I had Pentium D 920, I used to underclock it to 1.4ghz, undervolt it to 0.83V and unplug the cpu's fan. Temps has never exceeded 70degrees. And thanks a lot, man, you surprised me with that ;)  but unfortunately I do not live in the states. Middle Europe is my home. Poland to be exact. You know what's bad about Poland? That we earn as much as you do but everything's four times more expensive.
Have you considered putting heatsinks on the memory chips on the back of your cards? Just to make it safe and last longer. Do you OC this beautiful rig?
I'm gonna go to bed now, it's almast 1am here. It's 6:30pm for you? Am I right?
March 26, 2010 10:37:34 PM

It has a AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @4.0 Ghz. Thanks for the idea on the ram chips on the video card. XFX has a great warranty, so I won't bother, if it dies they will replace it, and for anyone that I sell the video card to, also (Double lifetime guaranty).

Great to chat with you, get some sleep.
March 26, 2010 10:42:17 PM

Yea, I heard about that great warranty. I also heard that taking off the cooler voids it. Well, I've already done it three times. And I asked them about a few minutes ago, hopefully I'll get the answer tomorrow.
Great to chat with you, too. I think I'll start sharing my thought on other threads as well. See you tomorrow! Good luck in...I don't know what you like playing ;p
March 27, 2010 4:55:07 AM

szymek said:
Yea, I heard about that great warranty. I also heard that taking off the cooler voids it. Well, I've already done it three times. And I asked them about a few minutes ago, hopefully I'll get the answer tomorrow.
Great to chat with you, too. I think I'll start sharing my thought on other threads as well. See you tomorrow! Good luck in...I don't know what you like playing ;p

I was bored and ran a benchmark with Furmark, here's a screen shot. I really don't know that much about it. I was in crossfire, but it is reporting 4 GB of RAM and I have 8 GB I swear. I am running windows 7 64 bit home premium.

If you would like, I could run non crossfire.

Let me know.
April 6, 2010 7:11:31 PM

szymek said:
And here's my rig:
http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/1761/img2760dh.jpg
PC's actually on and all fans are spinning;p

I like how your cables manage to fade into the bottom of the case ;p. I should try having my cables fade into the bottom of my case too. What are your secrets? ;) 
April 6, 2010 7:52:06 PM

Me secrets? I've got a black hole at the bottom of the case and the cables disappear ;p But seriously, there's nothing at the bottom and I try to hide at least some of the cables under hdd racks but only a few are long enough to do so.
!