Harddrive wont work on new mobo

Hello!

My friends computer took a dump on em, had a surge on one of the usb ports and killed the mobo. I got them a new mobo and cpu combo (MPC6PB M2+ and AMD athlon II X2), installed all of it turned it on and it boots to the Windows XP logo, loads for about 30sec then freezes. So thinking it was the hard drive (from the original pc) i put it in a different comp and it booted up just fine.

The original pc that the hard drive came out of was a Hp Presario 6330us. with XP Home Edition

Could it be because im taking the hard drive from a Intell machine and putting it into a AMD?

Ive also went threw the bios settings and made sure everything (to my knowledge) was set alright.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mike
4 answers Last reply
More about harddrive wont work mobo
  1. Check the chipset drivers, AMD and Intel are probably different. You could also create a bootlog file to see where it freezes...

Try going into safemode and uninstalling all chipset drivers from device manager.... or reinstall XP.
  2. It's not unusual for a hard drive to work in one system and not another. Remember, when you first installed Windows, among other things, you installed chipset drivers from a disk that came with the motherboard and Windows installed drivers based on the hardware it found.

Moving the drive to another type of motherboard left left all those drivers in place. And moving from an Intel machine to an AMD didn't help.

And more bad news. If you try to reinstall Windows from your old HP disk - if you have one, it may not work. The disk may look for an HP motherboard and when it doesn't find one, it may abort the installation.

The best way to start from scratch with a new motherboard is to restore the factory defaults in the BIOS.
  3. rdc363 said:
    Check the chipset drivers, AMD and Intel are probably different. You could also create a bootlog file to see where it freezes...

Try going into safemode and uninstalling all chipset drivers from device manager.... or reinstall XP.

Im unable to get into safemode as well : ( I can however get into Hp Recovery Console and access CMD, ive ran check disk, Fix master boot, and fix boot. Check disk found errors but said it fixed all of them. the MBR was missing files but it told me it fixed them as well.

Anonymous said:
    It's not unusual for a hard drive to work in one system and not another. Remember, when you first installed Windows, among other things, you installed chipset drivers from a disk that came with the motherboard and Windows installed drivers based on the hardware it found.

Moving the drive to another type of motherboard left left all those drivers in place. And moving from an Intel machine to an AMD didn't help.

And more bad news. If you try to reinstall Windows from your old HP disk - if you have one, it may not work. The disk may look for an HP motherboard and when it doesn't find one, it may abort the installation.

The best way to start from scratch with a new motherboard is to restore the factory defaults in the BIOS.

Yea, i was kind of afraid that i couldn't reinstall the OS, but luckily i have a copy or two of xp and 7 around so if worse comes to worse ill just use one of those. It would be nice to keep all the info though.

Thanks for the reply's, its greatly appreciated!
  4. If you simply reinstall Windows without formatting the drive, your data should still be there.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Hard Drives Windows XP Systems