Regd. i7-2600 and 2600K

akula2

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
Hello,

I'm planning to build a Workstation class PC based on the Sandy Bridge. Of lately, unlike in 2600, I've found that there are limitations with the 2600K w.r.t my requirements:

a) Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O (VT-d) - Not supported
b) Trusted Execution Technology - Not supported

So, I've decided to dump 2600K in favor of 2600 because of (a). Question is, are they are any good 2600 specific Benchmarks available? I saw most of the reviews were based on 2600K and its special overclocking abilities.

Any reference is highly appreciated. Thank you :)

Solution
As Psycho has said, the regular 2600 has a stock clock of 3.4GHz and it will Turbo Boost up to 3.8GHz on one core. It will have less Turbo Boost if more cores are active (3.7 with two, 3.6 with three and 3.5 with four).

If you put a regular 2600 onto a P67 mainboard, you will be able to overclock the Turbo Boost mode up to 4.2GHz (four 100MHz 'bins') on one core. It will still have less Turbo Boost if more cores are active, but they will be four bins higher than the stock Turbo Boost (4.1 with two, 4.0 with three and 3.9 with four).

This is explained on page nine of Tom's Sandy Bridge review. There is a typo though -- he says the example he gives under the "Limited Unlocked" graphic is for a 2600, but it's actually for a 2500. You...

akula2

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
I remember that we could OC a 2600 in Turbo mode till 3.6 GHz firing all cores, isn't it? If that's true then I've nothing much to think. But, still any reference about 2600 specific is highly appreciated (I know we could Google for the same - wanna know it from the Tom members).

As Psycho has said, the regular 2600 has a stock clock of 3.4GHz and it will Turbo Boost up to 3.8GHz on one core. It will have less Turbo Boost if more cores are active (3.7 with two, 3.6 with three and 3.5 with four).

If you put a regular 2600 onto a P67 mainboard, you will be able to overclock the Turbo Boost mode up to 4.2GHz (four 100MHz 'bins') on one core. It will still have less Turbo Boost if more cores are active, but they will be four bins higher than the stock Turbo Boost (4.1 with two, 4.0 with three and 3.9 with four).

This is explained on page nine of Tom's Sandy Bridge review. There is a typo though -- he says the example he gives under the "Limited Unlocked" graphic is for a 2600, but it's actually for a 2500. You can tell because the 2500's base clock is 3.3GHz.

I haven't seen any benchmarks done on "limited unlocked" chips. They either want to overclock (they get a K version) and forget about the business features or they want the business features (they buy a regular version) and forget about the overclock. You're a hybrid freak :p that wants the business features and the overclock, so you'll just have to guess about the performance.

Solution

akula2

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009

Yep, that's correct:

Intel Core i7-2600K 3.4GHz 4 / 8 8MB 3.8GHz (Turbo) - 57x
Intel Core i7-2600 3.4GHz 4 / 8 8MB 3.8GHz (Turbo) - 42x

Another difference I recollect is: Intel HD Graphics 3000 and 2000 respectively but that shouldn't matter to me at all because I've already chosen to go with this card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102888, which will be firing up 6 LCDs of this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824116441 (almost final but still considering Asus/Samsung 27" models)

@Hybrid freak :) Actually, am an Entrepreneur and a Researcher so I don't need to get into all these extreme OCing and Hardcore Gaming configs. All I do is pick up a best possible combination of Processor + MOBO to run for the longest time possible delivering excellent performance in my Business environment. But for my personal rigs, I would go with all sorts of permutations and combinations to satisfy my ambition, then I don't really care for price factor (which am going to do again after a few quarters with the upcoming LGA 2011 products).

So, as of today, I just need to close on this 2600 processor plus on P67 MOBO (this might take 1-2 days more to freeze it).